Sign in to follow this  
Cpt_Piett

Exploring Aotearoa

The thing I like best about MSFS is exploring different parts of the world in different aircraft. For the last couple of weeks I've been flying in New Zealand. The country is absolutely perfect for GA flying, with its varied landscapes and challenging airfields. I was lucky to have fair weather for the whole trip except the final descent into Christchurch with a cloud base of 400ft and reduced visibility. 

I started at Kaitaia, the northernmost airport on the North Island. After a sightseeing trip around Auckland and a very hazardous landing at NZKE Waiheke (610m strip surrounded by thick forest), I followed the Eastern coastline for a while before stopping at Rotorua, then flying past Mount Ruapehu on the way to Wellington. 

I then crossed over to the South Island from Wellington to Nelson, then went south down the West Coast, crossing the Alps from Franz Josef to Mount Cook. Naturally I had to visit Milford Sound, and eventually I went all the way south to Invercargill then up North via Queenstown and Glentanner, ending in Christchurch. 

Departure at dawn from Kaitaia to Auckland in the DA62:

ymuQEHM.jpg

Fast and low in the Bonanza V35 on the way to Waiheke:

1M6Mxbw.jpg

The stunning North Island coastline near Pauanui Beach

KuOt7Kt.jpg

Approaching Takaka, South Island in the excellent Van's RV-14:

5ITc8Rg.jpg

Final approach into Karamea:

dko0HaH.jpg

Heading South from Karamea to Murchison: 

5ccNIIe.jpg

The majestic Southern Alps on the way from Lake Haupiri to Franz Josef:

YkexP7m.jpg

Crossing the Alps from Franz Josef to Mount Cook:

rayU2dF.jpg

Departing from Mount Cook to Milford Sound visiting Haast, Makarora and Martins Bay:

BA9Fx1U.jpg

Crosswind leg coming into Haast:

Kb6N25D.jpg

Getting ready for departure at Milford Sound: 

o5oZZnv.jpg

Over the remote wilderness of the Southern part of South Island en route to Te Anau: 

cNSlsjZ.jpg

From Te Anau to Invercargill: 

ffP439E.jpg

Visual approach via Lake Wakatipu into Queenstown: 

38aEYPy.jpg

Departing Queenstown in the G36 Bonanza: 

DsCmfPR.jpg

At Glentanner with Aoraki / Mount Cook in the distance:

hylKo3z.jpg

Over Lake Tekapo on the last flight, en route to Christchurch: 

XaAOoSE.jpg

sUqrcsH.jpg

• Like 9

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

Beautiful and vibrant collection of images out of NZ...thanks for sharing...!!

• Like 1

Marvelous shots!! Your colors look so natural, do you use any special program to enhance the images?

• Like 2

Any attempt to stretch fuel is guaranteed to increase headwinds

My specs: AMD Radeon RX6700XT, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB RAM, 34" monitor, screen resolution: 2560x1080

1 hour ago, bernd1151 said:

Marvelous shots!! Your colors look so natural, do you use any special program to enhance the images?

Thanks! Yes I use ReShade. There's a thread on it with lots of information if you want to give it a go: 

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”