Sign in to follow this  
Zangoose

Weather and Terrain APIs - Marked as "Fixed"

2 hours ago, Jeeeno said:

Another example of Asobo incompetency. Nothing new.

They are becoming word not allowed also at making sceneries now looking at how bad is WU11 ... 

Lol sorry but no... yes WU11 is not as good as other WUs but that by no means equates to them "becoming word not allowed at making sceneries" ... and as Tuskin says above they delivered exactly what was promised in terms of the weather display APIs.

I'd say MS/Asobo are rather competent these days given the progress of MSFS and its success amongst the simming community and 3rd party devs in general. Issues in the sim here and there will pop up naturally, and can be used to make ridiculous blanket statements like these and/or set one's hair on fire I guess, but don't expect to be taken seriously. MS/Asobo and MSFS will keep steamrolling on, bring on SU11!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

34 minutes ago, mwilk said:

You don't think accurate weather radar is important in a flight simulator?

Maybe, indeed it is. But I'd rather have some weather radar rather than no weather radar.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Just now, jarmstro said:

Maybe, indeed it is. But I'd rather have some weather radar rather than no weather radar.

Im a bit conflicted on this for two reasons. If we just roll over and say it is what it is and accept the bitmaps would the push for them to actually properly fix this issue diminish?

Considering i was happy with the plain old default bitmap in the default A320 and annoyed that it got yanked in the FBW i didn't know any better but now with the release of more sophisticated equipment with the PMDG/FENIX and a massively upgraded FBW A320 just accepting the plain bitmap again would be just .. well meh. 

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

8 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

If having the weather radar, means having it like in the default airplanes ... Well, i'm not so sure about it. 

1 hour ago, Ricardo41 said:

Not sarcastic at all. It's the avsim filterbubble at work again.

Hardcore simmers who care about weather apis are a small minority.

so niche user OK and understood, was just wondering why you called PMDG, Fenix and the like niche developers

• Like 1

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

"Those who give up realism for simple functional features, get neither realism nor really functional features" 

I should add this: 😄 before it gets out of context.

Oh, and I'm sorry Benjamin... for yet another butchering of your phrase.

• Like 1

Enrique Vaamonde

46 minutes ago, Jeeeno said:

If having the weather radar, means having it like in the default airplanes ... Well, i'm not so sure about it. 

You could alway just not turn it on? And leave those of us who would like at least to see something on their screens to get on with it? Or should we be forbidden from having anything because the puritans disapprove? 

Edited by jarmstro

10 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

You could alway just not turn it on? And leave those of us who would like at least to see something on their screens to get on with it? Or should we be forbidden from having anything because the puritans disapprove? 

I think you are clearly misunderstanding here -

• If you're happy with the current weather radar situation thats ok
  • If you want to use the weather radar in the planes that come with that support - Turn it on (Or don't if you're unhappy)
  • But some of us want to see more in the implementation and clearly developers do as well - That is also fine to agree with or disagree if you want to for whatever reason. 
Edited by Zangoose
  • Like 3

Matt

Vote for better camera support in MSFS: https://devsupport.flightsimulator.com/t/camera-api/3077/29

19 minutes ago, Zangoose said:

I think you are clearly misunderstanding here -

• If you're happy with the current weather radar situation thats ok
  • If you want to use the weather radar in the planes that come with that support - Turn it on (Or don't if you're unhappy)
  • But some of us want to see more in the implementation and clearly developers do as well - That is also fine to agree with or disagree if you want to for whatever reason. 

Yes but some planes such as the PMDG and Fenix don't have it at all when they could, imperfect as it may be.

3 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

Yes but some planes such as the PMDG and Fenix don't have it at all when they could, imperfect as it may be.

They've made their voices very clear in the various discord servers and they want to see more implementation. We can only keep [pushing on either end and hope we get something. But I don't blame devs for not adding it if its missing critical features. 

Like one of the people who work at Fenix said one of the big missing features is Tilt. I'm not sure why they decided to go for a fixed tilt option within the sim but here we are. Also interestingly, Fenix did look at external data feeds to see if they could use that but it would be very expensive to do. 

Edited by Zangoose

Matt

Vote for better camera support in MSFS: https://devsupport.flightsimulator.com/t/camera-api/3077/29

1 minute ago, Zangoose said:

But I don't blame devs for not adding it if its missing critical features.

Well I do. Something is better than nothing.

18 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

Well I do. Something is better than nothing.

Absolutely, but these private companies have a standard they want to self impose. An incomplete weather radar is not what they want to include with their products.

Maybe that's a good thing, too. Every bit of pressure we can apply to Asobo to convince them to solve this problem is a good thing. I agree with others who say we shouldn't settle, less Asobo decide never to look into this problem further.

• Like 1

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

Are we saying that we cannot implement weather radar as provided and pressure Asobo to do more at the same time?

Edited by Kevin_28

4 minutes ago, Kevin_28 said:

Are we saying that we cannot implement weather radar as provided and pressure Asobo to do more at the same time?

I am. If the Maddog, FBW, Fenix, and PMDG all had Asobo WXR then the votes demanding Asobo address the issue would get less attention because a lot more people would be content with the pretty picture on the ND as is.

The thread votes and long forum chains are really the brunt of our ammunition in this fight. The voices of 3rd Party devs only goes so far without a huge number of players behind them.

• Upvote 1

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

2 minutes ago, WestAir said:

I am. If the Maddog, FBW, Fenix, and PMDG all had Asobo WXR then the votes demanding Asobo address the issue would get less attention because a lot more people would be content with the pretty picture on the ND as is.

The thread votes and long forum chains are really the brunt of our ammunition in this fight. The voices of 3rd Party devs only goes so far without a huge number of players behind them.

Just wanting to pick your brain a bit here (not trying to be argumentative but genuinely curious). Why allow this to be the hill? There were things that were missing from the sim that would allow these high end addons to be the best they can be when they were released (such as things like flight modeling, etc). However, those things didn't stop them from deving and putting their foot down at the same time.

• Like 1