Sign in to follow this  
rondon9898

More stupid gusts, this time on final

Who better qualified to evaluate any type of simulator (car, train, plane, boat, rocket ship, drone) than real world hands on experience. That’s what makes the refinement of a simulator! However, there will always be extreme opinions (bias and unbiased) on both sides of the spectrum towards how realistic a simulator will be (influenced by life experiences). You constantly need a large number of reputable opinions as the simulator is updated, throw out the top and the bottom evaluations and the simulator reaches a level of accuracy as close as possible to the real thing over time on the home computer. 

And as @sd_flyer stated above  “those who are proficient with stick and rudder skills won't have problem handle gusts.  Does MSFS have room for improvement sure! Does new gust system prevent me from flying. No! I always land on runway and keep my airplane on centerline as much as I can”

- Exactly! This is what flying is all about to me, real and simulated - the landing - handling the environment, the unknowns, the wind surprises and still putting the plane down safely.

@sd_flyer What an incredible shot! Desktop worthy! I’ll take any imperfections in weather to experience that atmosphere!

Edited by Doering
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Lawrence “Laurie” Doering

Latest video at The Flight Level   Oppenheimer's Trinity - A Flight to Ground Zero in the T-6A Texan | Cold Start | Remastered Photos

3 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

I learned a long time ago to take this semi worship of "real" Pilots with a grain of salt. Simply because whenever somebody quotes a so-called real world pilot to make whatever point it is that they're trying to make, it's all too easy to quote yet another so-called real world pilot who has the exact opposite opinion. And round and round it goes.

Are you using the term "so-called" tongue in cheek here? Although I'm sure pilots will have different opinions, I find their opinions valuable, especially on topics like this. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | MSI Gaming Trio X RTX 4090 | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6200 32-38-38-30 32GB | Gigabyte X670 AORUS ELITE AX | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

dYn55y0_d.jpg?maxwidth=520&shape=thumb&f

3 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Are you using the term "so-called" tongue in cheek here? Although I'm sure pilots will have different opinions, I find their opinions valuable, especially on topics like this. 

I don't credential-check, primarily because I don't care enough to bother.

Thus to me, if somebody claims to be a pilot, I cant tell (and have no real interest) whether they mean they currently work for Jet Blue, or last flew their dads Cessna back when dinosaurs walked the earth.

Either way, another "pilot" will in time contradict them.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Guest Sceadu
3 hours ago, WestAir said:

Real World pilot here. Started flying at 15 on the Cessna. Left the industry on the Maddog.

We pilots disagree on everything. Sort of like Avsimers, really.

Anyone thats arrived at a busy Fly-In in the UK will know just how many different interpretations of an Overhead Join are possible and every single pilot doing it is convinced he is doing it right and that those other guys are idiots 😁

All I want is gusts and turbulence, but realistic ones! Not gusts that appears suddenly amidst smooth approach throwing A320 to 30 degrees bank in a split second on short final. I am not a real pilot, but that just does not feel very realistic for me, and ruins the experience.

I know Asobo devs try their best, but when they cant get a simple interpolation between wind layers of 350 and 10 degrees wind to get it 360/0 degrees, I am a bit concerned if they will ever get it spot on. (Yes, in manual weather settings the previous example produces 180 degrees wind between two wind layers. Test by yourself. SU10).

AMD Ryzen 5800x3d | 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz | RTX 3080 | 3440x1440

On 10/27/2022 at 8:39 PM, HiFlyer said:

I don't credential-check, primarily because I don't care enough to bother.

Thus to me, if somebody claims to be a pilot, I cant tell (and have no real interest) whether they mean they currently work for Jet Blue, or last flew their dads Cessna back when dinosaurs walked the earth.

Either way, another "pilot" will in time contradict them.

Fair point, well made.

I've had my suspicions over the years. Regardless of topic and given a certain amount of anonymity: get a few blokes together talking about a technical subject and it doesn't take long for the BS to emerge. Some souls are too desperate to be an authority I guess. No disrespect to the real "Real life Pilots" intended.

Regarding the gusts: As I've said before the current wind/gusts situation is a big improvement on what we had before .....but.....it's too persistent, lacks variability particularly near the ground, on finals and taxiing. IMO

Edited by GaryK
clarity

i7-4790k @ 4.4ghz for the moment. Asus z87-k mobo. GTX 1080, 32gb ram. couple of SSDs....Saitek X52