Sign in to follow this  
rondon9898

More stupid gusts, this time on final

2 minutes ago, F737MAX said:

Cos real pilots have given their thoughts on this.
Here's another one...

I hope Asobo's addition of CFD for SU11 make flying a little bit more realistic.

Real pilots fly in the real world. All this other nonsense is subjective on a desktop game or sim.

Choose clear skies in the Weather icon of handlebar. Next, there still remains a little icon down low that looks like a mini whirlwind. Choose that and delete that ground level gust. If I do that, there are no gusts at all in SU11 nor SU10. Flies on rails. But then you can turn on gusts to any level you want. So thanks to MSFS, I can go anywhere from zero to a windstorm. 

Edited by Fielder

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

6 hours ago, Fielder said:

Choose clear skies in the Weather icon of handlebar. Next, there still remains a little icon down low that looks like a mini whirlwind. Choose that and delete that ground level gust. If I do that, there are no gusts at all in SU11 nor SU10. Flies on rails. But then you can turn on gusts to any level you want. So thanks to MSFS, I can go anywhere from zero to a windstorm. 

We shouldn't have to be restricted to using the sledgehammer of a preset weather theme or designing our own static weather for the sake of cracking the nut of experiencing a litle more realistic atmospheric effects.

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

1 hour ago, F737MAX said:

We shouldn't have to be restricted to using the sledgehammer of a preset weather theme or designing our own static weather for the sake of cracking the nut of experiencing a litle more realistic atmospheric effects.

Again.  What's depicted in the sim now more closely matches the conditions of the real world than ever before.  All of us that fly in real planes can attest to this. Is it perfect no but it's 100% better than before.  SU10 because of the gusts added alone make it the best SU update yet released for FS, period...😐

If you don't like it the suggestion is valid, don't use real weather in your sim.  It's not a sledgehammer.  You can't inject real weather and leave out the crosswind components/turbulence/gusts at any altitude now that Asobo has the technology to inject it.  That's injecting real world weather.  Just because some simmers assume what flying a real plane is all about versus reality doesn't validate dumbing down the experience to accommodate these view points.  This is why the concept of 'My Truth' versus 'The Truth' is damaging and a problem in this generation.  People want their truth to override facts and everything else. The bottom line is this is closer to what aviation is all about.  No two landings are the same and now your starting to see why.  Many flight hours have to be logged to insure we get the best experienced pilots partly because of the weather factor and skill needed to take off and get the plane back on the ground.  The skill and all that needs to be known about about the plane your flying and FAR/AIM rules in the air (many would loose their mind if a fraction of that was injected into the sim).  So by all means entertain games like Ace Combat and titles like that.  Aviation in it's truest since might not be for you.  Leave DCS, XPlane, and Flight Simulator to those that really want to learn and know what landing that 744 in gusting conditions is like in the real world...🍺

Edited by Dillon
  • Like 2

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

4 minutes ago, Dillon said:

Again.  What's depicted in the sim now more closely matches the conditions of the real world than ever before.  All of us that fly in real planes can attest to this. Is it perfect no but it's 100% better than before.  SU10 because of the gusts added alone make it the best SU update yet released for FS, period...😐

If you don't like it the suggestion is valid, don't use real weather in your sim.  It's not a sledgehammer.  You can't inject real weather and leave out the crosswind components/turbulence/gusts at any altitude now that Asobo has the technology to inject it.  That's injecting real world weather.  Just because some simmers assume what flying a real plane is all about versus reality doesn't validate dumbing down the experience to accommodate these view points.  This is why the concept of 'My Truth' versus 'The Truth' is damaging and a problem in this generation.  People want their truth to override facts and everything else. The bottom line is this is closer to what aviation is all about.  No two landings are the same and now your starting to see why.  Many flight hours have to be logged to insure we get the best experienced pilots partly because of the weather factor and skill needed to take off and get the plane back on the ground.  The skill and all that needs to be known about about the plane your flying and FAR/AIM rules in the air (many would loose their mind if a fraction of that was injected into the sim).  So by all means entertain games like Ace Combat and titles like that.  Aviation in it's truest since might not be for you.  Leave DCS, XPlane, and Flight Simulator to those that really want to learn and know what landing that 744 in gusting conditions is like in the real world...🍺

Making it more realistic is "dumbing down the experience".
Spectacularly missed the point, but, sure OK.

Edited by F737MAX
  • Like 2

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

27 minutes ago, F737MAX said:

Making it more realistic is "dumbing down the experience".
Spectacularly missed the point, but, sure OK.

I got the point exactly.  It might not be you but some are complaining it's too hard to land planes now, go figure that one.🥴  What we had before missed key elements of what we have now.  Is there work to be done yes, but the 'core' motivation of what people are complaining about is it's too difficult to fly in the 'GAME' now and it needs to be tweaked, that's a huge problem.  That's why many of us have a problem calling this title a 'Game' because people expect 'Game' characteristics and will speak loudly about it in mass.  Officially call it a 'Sim' and you kill some of that noise. 

The fact is if Asobo did nothing else in this area (wind gusts, etc), what we have now is the best we've ever had in any version of a desktop simulator and I'd take this over what the sim was in SU9 any day.  That's the point.😐

Edited by Dillon
  • Like 4

FS2020 

I can't get enough of this thread on the official forums https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/testing-the-new-airflow-simulation/549454 that has a lot of useful and fascinating information and observations/tests about what's coming in SU11 in terms of the more deeply simulated environmental airflow, turbulence, etc. Not sure what if any changes in gust modelling there are since SU10, but overall we're about to get an incredible CFD driven simulation of airflow at the macro level (20km around aircraft), at proximity levels (close to aircraft), and directly on/around the aircraft itself (the CFD introduced in SU9). Turbulence is an actual simulation of air flows interacting & conflicting with each other (not some effect that's randomly injected), and all the air flows are simulated based on many factors such as solar radiation & net wattage received on ground, air density, cloud coverage, terrain types/shapes/color(albedo), scenery objects shapes, time of day, season, etc etc (i.e. https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/testing-the-new-airflow-simulation/549454/63?u=lwtxb)

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

In another example this video https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/testing-the-new-airflow-simulation/549454/71?u=lwtxb shows how ridge lift and related impacts to airflow gradually decreases the higher one goes above the specific mountainous terrain

As the OP notes which I completely agree with, I wish MS/Asobo would get rid of this "compromise" they put out in SU10 to placate the vocal crowd that wanted to the ability to turn off turbulence altogether (I guess in order to get fly-on-rails conditions, also some aircraft developers would like that in order to test their aircrafts, etc). What they did was to limit thermals/turbulence if wind speed is <=3 knots and that is there in both live and manual weather. So fine, I get the need for that sort of control, but I'd rather that be available as part of manual weather rather than live weather. Like it's been mentioned many times on this and other threads, it just makes no sense to provide configurability to live weather because then what does that even mean, and where do they stop in choosing what is configurable vs not.  I'm all for live weather simulating everything, and as close to reality as possible... and in manual weather configure away as one desires.  That said, certain complex simulation such as turbulence and drafts might be hard to completely "disable" in the sim, who knows.

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 1

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

1 hour ago, Dillon said:

If you don't like it the suggestion is valid, don't use real weather in your sim.  It's not a sledgehammer.  You can't inject real weather and leave out the crosswind components/turbulence/gusts at any altitude now that Asobo has the technology to inject it.  That's injecting real world weather.  Just because some simmers assume what flying a real plane is all about versus reality doesn't validate dumbing down the experience to accommodate these view points.  

Maybe Asobo should have preset labeled " Real weather, but not too real"....😉

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

29 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Maybe Asobo should have preset labeled " Real weather, but not too real"....😉

Great idea if Microsoft insists on continuing to call this title a 'Game'...😏

• Like 1

FS2020 

This is so much better and why not everyone can fly a plane well irl and sometimes get killed trying.  We All can't and shouldn't get the trophy! lol The majority of people who "Sim" here want the realism, that's why we use the flight "simulator".

LouP

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

The moderate twitching about or gustiness that we have now is too frequent and not variable enough in severity. A bland flat line of turbulence pretty much day in day out. What we have is undoubtedly much better than nothing though.

I suspect that many don't know what a wind gust actually is or how a wind gust is very different from a temporary change in true wind direction....or how these different kinds of turbulence will effect any object moving through the air differently.

i7-4790k @ 4.4ghz for the moment. Asus z87-k mobo. GTX 1080, 32gb ram. couple of SSDs....Saitek X52

1 hour ago, GaryK said:

The moderate twitching about or gustiness that we have now is too frequent and not variable enough in severity. A bland flat line of turbulence pretty much day in day out. What we have is undoubtedly much better than nothing though.

I suspect that many don't know what a wind gust actually is or how a wind gust is very different from a temporary change in true wind direction....or how these different kinds of turbulence will effect any object moving through the air differently.

I think if people really want to know what flying is like, go to your local airport on a  afternoon day with decent winds and book an introductory flight in a small GA aircraft My guess is, after you do that, you won't complain about the winds in MSFS anymore. 

• Like 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

11 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I think if people really want to know what flying is like, go to your local airport on a  afternoon day with decent winds and book an introductory flight in a small GA aircraft My guess is, after you do that, you won't complain about the winds in MSFS anymore. 

Been there, done that, thanks.
So have other pilots on this thread.

16 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

You say "on a day with decent winds" which suggests that there is some variation to be had. Not enough turbulence variety in the sim.

As I said what we have in sim is much better than before and it no doubt replicates what happens IRL on some days but with regards to variety it is not particularly realistic IMO

i7-4790k @ 4.4ghz for the moment. Asus z87-k mobo. GTX 1080, 32gb ram. couple of SSDs....Saitek X52

Here is reality - I flew several students yesterday. We had 4 kts crosswind and one of my "inherited" post solo student couldn't hold a centerline. I should probably endorse his next solo with wind limitation 2 kts LOL By the way he is a pilot too!

On serious note in expression "plots" mileage can vary. We have a saying: "there are two type of pilots, those who are humbled and those who about to (get humbled)" .

Just able to fly  is not necessarily translate is  precession flying like holding your heading, speed and altitude regardless environment is another. There are many level of finesse pilotage!  If anything MSFS does have problem with ground handling and how other perhaps bigger airplanes are behaving in strong winds, but I don't think winds or live weather itself are the problem.  I have experience smooth air and many instances flying in post SU10. MSFS actually did amazing job reflecting this amazing living world which can make each flight to the destination different. That why flying is never boring and that why weather can humble pilot easily. The only difference IRL there are no developer to complain to LOL

• Like 5

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI