Sign in to follow this  
Zimmerbz

DX11 or DX12

4 hours ago, Kilo60 said:

Is DX 12 better for those with newer cards with lots of VRAM?

Does anyone have less than 8gb VRAM on their card and seen an improvement?

For me this is the million-dollar question?

I have tried both DX11 & DX12 and to be honest I haven't seen too much difference in the VRAM usage on my 3090. Even with my 3080TI before I never ran out of VRAM. Have never seen more than 14GB used with my 3090. DX12 seems to be a bit smoother if the fps dip a little. For now I find DX11 & TAA the best for my type of flying which is in either the PMDG or Fenix

Edited by RJC68
  • Like 1

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

its a tough call, I've been trying dx12, yes u get about 10% more frames. but with DX 12 it seems get a few more stutters.

10700kf, 3080 nividia, 32gbs 3400mhz, 1,000 watts power, M.2 DVMe !tb, boot, 1tb 7200rpm, storage, windows 10 home

4 hours ago, RJC68 said:

I have tried both DX11 & DX12 and to be honest I haven't seen too much difference in the VRAM usage on my 3090. Even with my 3080TI before I never ran out of VRAM. Have never seen more than 14GB used with my 3090. DX12 seems to be a bit smoother if the fps dip a little. For now I find DX11 & TAA the best for my type of flying which is in either the PMDG or Fenix

OK Thanks!

Chris Camp

On 10/17/2022 at 12:28 PM, Severne said:

DX11 for the time being…there are too many glitches with airport ground textures with DX12.

This is my single biggest gripe with DX12… is there any news about a solution?

C

• Like 1

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

I also get the ground texture problem with DX12, but it's so inconsistent. One minute, a certain airport is fine - next time, parts of the tarmac have disappeared. It's not just default airports, either - Chicomick's Duxford suffers from it occasionally.

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

TLDR: it depends. The momentary performance conditions dictate whether DX11 or DX12 will be better, but since in MSFS these conditions can vary significantly from flight to flight, or even over the course of a single flight, depending on a number of criteria, I am unable to come to a definitive conclusion. As for SU10, I'm leaning more towards DX12, but I know there are situations when DX11 would be better. 

On SU10, I get noticeably higher framerate with DX11 but better frame time consistency with DX12 during those scenarios when I can't consistently reach my framerate limit (which I have set to 58 in Nvidia Control Panel). I am usually GPU limited on DX12 while that is never the case with DX11.

This means that in situations when I am normally at my framerate limit, I don't notice a difference between DX11 and DX12. However, once I can't reach the limit consistently (flying in an airliner, heavy ai traffic, performance taxing scenery, complex clouds and weather), even though I get higher maximum FPS with DX11, DX12 appears to be a better choice because I get more panning smoothness and less stuttering. But it's not that DX12 is some kind of miracle in this regard that massively justifies its use over DX11. And to make things even more complicated, I can reach the frame rate limit more easily with DX11 than with DX12, and as I've written before, once I can consistently reach the frame rate limit, frame time pacing stops to be an issue even on DX11.

But there seem to be other pros and cons to both:

• DX12 cannot use Nvidia fast sync or adaptive sync. At first, I thought this would be a showstopper for me because both Nvidia standard vsync and MSFS vsync impact FPS too much and cause a noticeable input lag, which is a clear disadvantage when using headtracking. To my surprise, however, the screen tearing on DX12 is barely noticeable and I found out that I actually don't need any syncing (which is definitely not the case with DX11). However, others may have completely different experiences, and I haven't tested this enough. Of course, this is not an issue for those using variable refresh rate monitors.
  • This may be an illusion, but I think TAA looks better on DX12, with more defined contrast.
  • Not my experience yet, but I've read a lot about DX12 issues related to textures and video memory overflow.

My setup: 3080 with AMD 5800x3D, 1440p on 144 Hz, Windows 11, latest Nvidia drivers, in MSFS everything on ultra, TAA, TLOD 200, using Tobii headtracker.