Sign in to follow this  
Zimmerbz

DX11 or DX12

Unless in the Beta, DX 11 works better than DX 12 for me.

But in SU 11 beta, it's the other way around.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

I am staying  with DX12, I went back from DLSS to TAA as I got some blurry images, so now with TAA, AMD fidelityfx sharpening at max, resolution changed from native 1920/1080 to 2560/1440, and at the NV Panel DLSS scaling at 1.78,  now have combined smoothness with quite sharp images and slightly better FPS performance than at DX11

RTX3060 12Bb RAM

I think that best thing for in MSFS would be the ability to change load on the fly or more precisely on the land.

The only time I ever get a performance hit is on approach of taxing to the gate or runway. Presets would be great

so you could assign a LOD value to a hot key. Say 150 in my case. I fly at 400. So when taxiing and take off I can have a 150.

Than at the stroke of a key switch to 400 on the fly and then when on short final switch back to 150. I've tried this manually going into the settins

and changing the LOD value after landing. It has zero impact on what you can see on the ground but bumps the FPS from the low 20's back up above

30 for a smooth taxi back to the gate. So something like dynamic LOD would certainly cure any performance woe's for me far better than DX12 or DLSS.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, FBW737 said:

I think that best thing for in MSFS would be the ability to change load on the fly or more precisely on the land.

The only time I ever get a performance hit is on approach of taxing to the gate or runway. Presets would be great

so you could assign a LOD value to a hot key. Say 150 in my case. I fly at 400. So when taxiing and take off I can have a 150.

Than at the stroke of a key switch to 400 on the fly and then when on short final switch back to 150. I've tried this manually going into the settins

and changing the LOD value after landing. It has zero impact on what you can see on the ground but bumps the FPS from the low 20's back up above

30 for a smooth taxi back to the gate. So something like dynamic LOD would certainly cure any performance woe's for me far better than DX12 or DLSS.

I have been hoping one of the brilliant minds that develops addons for MSFS can achieve this. It would be great to have the TLOD drop dynamically as you approached the ground

• Like 1

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

1 hour ago, RJC68 said:

I have been hoping one of the brilliant minds that develops addons for MSFS can achieve this. It would be great to have the TLOD drop dynamically as you approached the ground

Yeah its a no brainer. I cant see it being that big a deal to do. I've called for it before but was told to do it myself! LOL! If I had the know how I surely would.

In the mean time I can change the refresh rate of my screen with a hot keys. so I can flick from 29hz to 23hz and back with the stroke of key. Both are perfectly smooth on my display

only issue is that I get a 1/4 second black screen  when it changes. Better than a stutter feast taxiing to the gate though.

Edited by FBW737
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, RJC68 said:

Of all the utilities we might desire this is one that everyone would really appreciate having.  If you go from TLOD of 200, down to zero by the time you are on the ground all you will notice is less impact on the main thread, not loss of visual fidelity per se, at least last time I did this experiment.

• Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

3 minutes ago, Noel said:

Of all the utilities we might desire this is one that everyone would really appreciate having.  If you go from TLOD of 200, down to zero by the time you are on the ground all you will notice is less impact on the main thread, not loss of visual fidelity per se, at least last time I did this experiment.

100% Agree,

There was an addon that did exactly this for X-Plane. It would make taxiing around the airport a way nicer experience that's for sure

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

I got a couple of graphical anomalies and stuttering at some places with DX12 so I have reverted back to DX11 until further notice, otherwise the performance was the same for me.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

I went yesterday to DX12 and DLSS. Stutters everywhere, despite having 65 FPS (in a 144-Hz monitor with a 23-144 Hz Freesync range). DX11 was smoother with less FPS. I'll try back tonight.

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), ID-Cooling SE-224-XTS air cooler, Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

I'm using DX12 now, it is working fine for me, I alternate between TAA and DLSS, depending on the aircraft, as on some the blurred instruments can be quite bad which is a shame, as DLSS puts far less strain on the GPU, which also runs a lot cooler.

Edited by Scimiter

Asus Maximus Hero X11, Intel i9 10850k, 32gb Corsair Dominator ram, 2tb Corsair mp510 ssd  m2, Gigybyte turbo RTX 3090

15 minutes ago, Scimiter said:

I'm using DX12 now it is working fine for me, I alternate between TAA and DLSS, depending on the aircraft as on some the blurred instruments can be quite bad, which is a shame, as DLSS puts far less strain on the GPU, which also runs a lot cooler.

I am in the same boat. 

• Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

I run dlss and just live with the somewhat blurry gauges. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

Is DX 12 better for those with newer cards with lots of VRAM?

Does anyone have less than 8gb VRAM on their card and seen an improvement?

For me this is the million-dollar question?

Chris Camp

On 10/17/2022 at 6:53 PM, solito said:

AMD fidelityfx sharpening at max

When I enable AMD Sharpening more than 10%, the ground textures look way too sharpened. Maybe I have some sharpening settings on my TV or something that are interfering with the algorithm, at max it looks silly for me though.

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram