Sign in to follow this  
CajunRon

C310 MSFS power vs cruise speed

Cruising at 7000 ft MSL with manifold pressure = 22, rpm = 2300, fuel flow = 150 I'm only achieving 115 KIAS.  The User Guide chart shows I should be getting about 175 TIAS.  Why the big difference?

Ronnie Pertuit

Your comparing KIAS to KTAS ( the cruise chart in the manual is showing KTAS)

My understanding is they are only the same at sea level.

Steve 'Slayer' McNitt
Quality Assurance
spacer.png

15 hours ago, Slayer68 said:

My understanding is they are only the same at sea level.

They are the same in standard athmosphere (1013.25 hpa or 29.02 inHg at sea level and 15° C). As a rule of thumb: to get your KTAS you have to add 2% per 1.000 to your KIAS. For example, if you KIAS is 100 kts at 10.000 ft, your KTAS will be 120 kts. As you can see, that wouldn't explain the difference in the original post (115 kts KIAS at 7.000 ft is roughly 131 KTAS).

The higher your altitude, the less dense the air becomes, so there is less force being applied through the pitot tube, that results in a lower airspeed being shown on the airspeed indicator.  Wind direction and speed will also affect the relationship between IAS and TAS.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

3 hours ago, stans said:

Wind direction and speed will also affect the relationship between IAS and TAS.

I believe that should only be true in the case of a sudden wind change (i.e. windshear). And even at that the difference would only be very transitory, quickly stabilizing at it's previous indication.

From a practical standpoint, wind speed and direction only affects groundspeed.

Jesse

Edited by JesC
  • Like 1

Jesse Cochran
"... eyes ever turned skyward"

P3D v5.3 Professional, Windows 10 Professional, Jetline GTX, Gigabyte Aorus X299 Gaming 7 mobo, i7 7740X @ 4.9 GHz, Corsair H115i Liquid Cooling, 32Gb SDRAM @ 3200MHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX1080Ti @ 11 GB

ORBX Global + NALC, ASP3D, ASCA, ENVTEX, TrackIR, Virtual-Fly Yoko Yoke, TQ6+, Ruddo+ Rudder Pedals