Sign in to follow this  
Zimmerbz

Turbulence / Icing

Just curious how and if turbulence and icing is modeled in MSFS... I was using FSrealistic but I heard it was conflicting with plane behavior in the Fenix and a few others so I shut it off.  I also felt like the turbulence in FSrealistic was random and just for effect.  I did a flight without it in windy conditions and the flight felt smooth.  Just curious what the thoughts are there.  Also, I flew out of fog/drizzle and below 10 degrees C and with the engine Anti Ice on, the Fenix said ice not detected.  Thanks

Intel Core i7 12700K (5.0GHz Max Boost Clock) 12-Core CPU   32GB G.Skill Performance DDR4 SDRAM 3600MHz       Graphics Processor:12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, GDDR6x System   2TB Western Digital, NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive

23 minutes ago, Zimmerbz said:

Just curious how and if turbulence and icing is modeled in MSFS... I was using FSrealistic but I heard it was conflicting with plane behavior in the Fenix and a few others so I shut it off.  I also felt like the turbulence in FSrealistic was random and just for effect.  I did a flight without it in windy conditions and the flight felt smooth.  Just curious what the thoughts are there.  Also, I flew out of fog/drizzle and below 10 degrees C and with the engine Anti Ice on, the Fenix said ice not detected.  Thanks

Only problem I have seen with FS Realistic and the Fenix, is sometimes when flaps are lowered and landing gear, the zoom wheel on the mouse stops working. Switching views a bit, usually brings it right back. Worst case, just close FS realistic. I only had to do that once. 

Edited by Bobsk8

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

16 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Only problem I have seen with FS Realistic and the Fenix, is sometimes when flaps are lowered and landing gear, the zoom wheel on the mouse stops working. Switching views a bit, usually brings it right back. Worst case, just close FS realistic. I only had to do that once. 

Do you think that the turbulence in FSRealistic represents the weather in the sim or do you think it is just there for show?  

Intel Core i7 12700K (5.0GHz Max Boost Clock) 12-Core CPU   32GB G.Skill Performance DDR4 SDRAM 3600MHz       Graphics Processor:12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, GDDR6x System   2TB Western Digital, NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive

1 minute ago, Zimmerbz said:

Do you think that the turbulence in FSRealistic represents the weather in the sim or do you think it is just there for show?

FSRealistic doesn't create its own turbulence but simulates movement and sounds when you hit the MSFS generated turbulence.  

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

2 minutes ago, Zimmerbz said:

Mostly for show.  Similar to icing and lightening.  Yesterday I had the first lightening I have seen in months, in November.  And at two weather sites where lightening is reported there was not within 1,000 miles.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Just now, fppilot said:

Mostly for show.  Similar to icing and lightening.  Yesterday I had the first lightening I have seen in months, in November.  And at two weather sites where lightening is reported there was not within 1,000 miles.

That is what I figured.... If only they would open up weather to 3rd parties.  

10 minutes ago, Zimmerbz said:

That is what I figured.... If only they would open up weather to 3rd parties.  

I first recognized these within 30 days and reported and requested opening up the SDK in mid October 2020.  Opened a ticket and never got a reply.  Weather is an important element to my simulation activities as I have a weather background.  The Asobo/MS response continues to be "Not Planned"  Meanwhile we have a dew point, for an example, that is always "13", even when the ambient temp is below 13.   "Temperature 5°C, dew point 13". 

%^&&^$%&*^* is what I say to that!  How embarassing! 

Edited by fppilot
  • Upvote 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

8 minutes ago, fppilot said:

I first recognized these within 30 days and reported and requested opening up the SDK in mid October 2020.  Opened a ticket and never got a reply.  Weather is an important element to my simulation activities as I have a weather background.

My guess is, that's unlikely to happen. Some people will argue that the current system is almost perfect and better than anything we have seen thus far. As you have the background, you'll be a good judge of that.

2 hours ago, Zimmerbz said:

It probably just amplifies the bouncing around that the sim turbulence causes and makes it more visible in the cockpit. I find that if it is turned up too high, it makes turning knobs and setting things on the flight deck too difficult, so I turn it down until the movement is acceptable. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

3 hours ago, Zimmerbz said:

Just curious how and if turbulence and icing is modeled in MSFS.

Icing is definitely modelled in MSFS!

Timestamps: Introduction 0:10 Flight Into Known Icing (FIKI) 2:24 Ice Control Systems 2:28 De-Icing Boots 2:47 Propeller Heat 3:35 Probe Heat 3:57 Summary of Ice Control Systems 4:34 Icing Demonstration 4:51 Departure 5:12 Level at 3,000' MSL 5:58 Time Lapse Ice Removal 7:07 Landing ILS RWY 32 CYOW 8:00

Edited by Doering

Lawrence “Laurie” Doering

Latest video at The Flight Level Beautiful Sunset Flight Over Burlington, Ontario + Cool Instrumental + GoPro Aerial Cameras | 4K

I got icing today exactly where it reported in real life (wing aloft) in my area . So I can't complain about weather. Certainly it' not perfect but not as bad as some claims

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

The weather is very good overall, we can't expect perfection. I just don't like the implementation of the turbulence system, it's piece-meal and not cleanly done IMHO, it's all over the place.

I would only say the way they are triangulating the data could be better, it's too narrow. My bigger complaints are the way they handle the snow, especially with custom polygons. It's a total nightmare to deal with snow with custom polygon textures, and that needs to change. It shouldn't be different from one texture to another, every texture should have 3 settings "snow - light, no snow, snow - heavy". Then everything will blend better too. 

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

3 hours ago, ha5mvo said:

My guess is, that's unlikely to happen. Some people will argue that the current system is almost perfect and better than anything we have seen thus far. As you have the background, you'll be a good judge of that.

👎 And not even arguable considering launch to the present.  Several cloud types are even today missing, and what is fed to ATIS/AWOS is embarassing.  That over two years since launch.  Special effects (turbulance, lightening/thunder, and icing) are totally missing at times, and when present totally over cooked. 

• Like 1

Frank Patton
ASUS