Sign in to follow this  
Rob G

Weird Rudder Pedal Issue

Hey folks. I have CH Pro rudder pedals. They have never given me trouble in the past. Suddenly, I hit the throttle on a Cessna 172 and start to use the pedals to steer the plane. The pedals start to work but after a few seconds the plane just veers off the runway to the left and I don't seem to have control with the pedals anymore. However, after may be 3-5 seconds, suddenly they are working again. Of course, by that time I am off in the grass against a fence :-).

I have unhooked the cable and hooked it to a different USB port but that hasn't helped. It is not a fluke; it has done it now 5 times in a row.

I could accept the possibility that the pedals are failing but the symptom seems so consistent that it doesn't make me feel like its just a random hardware failure of the pedals.

Advice? Thanks.

Case: (Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic XL), PSU: (MEG Ai300p pcie 5 & ATX 3.0), Motherboard: (ASUS TUF Gaming x670E-PLUS WIFI 6E), CPU: (AMD Ryzen 7 7800-X3D) 

Memory: (G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6000), GPU: (Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 AMP Extreme Airo). CPU Cooler: (ASUS ROG Strix LC RGB 360) 

Fans: (7 Corsair LL Series 120mm RGB)

Any flight assistant activated that could cause that?

Nvidia 4090 | AMD 5950X | 128GB DDR4 3200 | LG C1 48"
TCA Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Bravo | TPR Rudders | Stream Deck XL | Tobii 5

Just now, teletom said:

Any flight assistant activated that could cause that?

I just looked at the assistant settings and the rudder options are not set to ON.

Case: (Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic XL), PSU: (MEG Ai300p pcie 5 & ATX 3.0), Motherboard: (ASUS TUF Gaming x670E-PLUS WIFI 6E), CPU: (AMD Ryzen 7 7800-X3D) 

Memory: (G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6000), GPU: (Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 AMP Extreme Airo). CPU Cooler: (ASUS ROG Strix LC RGB 360) 

Check the rudder axis in control options what it's set to ... 

Nvidia 4090 | AMD 5950X | 128GB DDR4 3200 | LG C1 48"
TCA Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Bravo | TPR Rudders | Stream Deck XL | Tobii 5

You could test the rudders in Windows with the USB game controller thingy. Some time ago I used a tool to monitor USB devices for weird inputs, not sure but think it was something like VKB joystick tester

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

Strange but it appears that due to the position of the rudder pedals under my desk (same place they've always been), I am pressing on a brake pedal while trying to steer the plane. I have never had this problem before. Is it possible that the sensitivity of the brake pedal setting is more than it used to be?

Edited by Rob G

Try to steer with your heels and leave the toes off of the pedal. That way you can't be touching the brakes. (I once took apart a CH Pro pedals and then could not fit all the pieces back in again, so I would be reluctant myself to take CH Pro pedals apart and look inside). 

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

22 hours ago, Rob G said:

Hey folks. I have CH Pro rudder pedals. They have never given me trouble in the past. Suddenly, I hit the throttle on a Cessna 172 and start to use the pedals to steer the plane. The pedals start to work but after a few seconds the plane just veers off the runway to the left and I don't seem to have control with the pedals anymore. However, after may be 3-5 seconds, suddenly they are working again. Of course, by that time I am off in the grass against a fence :-).

I have unhooked the cable and hooked it to a different USB port but that hasn't helped. It is not a fluke; it has done it now 5 times in a row.

I could accept the possibility that the pedals are failing but the symptom seems so consistent that it doesn't make me feel like its just a random hardware failure of the pedals.

Advice? Thanks.

You are not alone. I experienced the same issues a few days ago. Never had any issues for years…

Maybe some Windows update altered your Energy settings in Windows and made the USB devices going to a sleep mode?

Given that your pedals are on the floor, under the desk, (unless of course you've found a way of using them on the desk), I wouldn't mind betting they're chock full of dust, dead insects and the remains of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

2 hours ago, Ron Attwood said:

I wouldn't mind betting they're chock full of dust, dead insects and the remains of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

How could you tell from his post that he lives in a college dormitory? 🙂

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

3 hours ago, MDFlier said:

How could you tell from his post that he lives in a college dormitory? 🙂

Was it just me then?

• Like 1

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

On 12/6/2022 at 9:20 AM, Fielder said:

(I once took apart a CH Pro pedals and then could not fit all the pieces back in again, so I would be reluctant myself to take CH Pro pedals apart and look inside). 

yeah ... they tend to explode and reassembly involves blindly lining up various parts sight unseen when you but the lid back on. 😄

Oddly enough, the CH ProPedals still work fine despite the two parts I could not figure out how to put back in. I use it for living room Xbox MSFS. I use the Russian VKB pedals for the PC. 

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.