Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

Silly, silly cats...

Who can explain it, who can tell you why?
Fools give you reasons, wise men never try

I'm sitting at my computer a while ago and one of our cats came in.  Our Russian Blue.

She walks up to the closet door for some reason and tries to pull it open by prying under the door with her paw.  That din't work so she jumps up and tries to twist the doorknob (she knows how to do that).  But that didn't work either, so she starts to walk away.

Then I get up and open the door for her and say, "There ya go.  Go on in if you want to."  But no.  She just walks out of the room.  Apparently not important enough if she can't open the door herself.

Who can explain it, who can tell you why?
Fools give you reasons, wise men never try

Noel

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

For almost 15 years, we've had 2 sister cats, PingPong and Mississippi. Different as night and day. PingPong was big and beefy, Mississippi is thin and agile. Always fighting those 2. The only time they got along was in the winter when they would sleep together for warmth.

We buried PingPong this past weekend. She past away peacefully in her sleep last Friday night. 

Now, Mississippi roams the house at night, yowling out until I call her to the bed to sleep with us. 

I never would have thought that she would miss her sister like that. 

Edited by hs118
  • Like 5

The disease is called Cat Brains........

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

My cats variation is pawing at the door and meowing to get into the other room.

I get up and open the door, closing it behind her.

A few seconds latter she is pawing at the door from the other side, meowing to get back in.

Rinse and repeat until I finally put my foot down and demand she makes a choice.

The rest of the house is left too cold at night for me to leave the door open and let out all the heat!

• Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

We have four cats.  Shadow, the Russian Blue is the mama cat.  Blackie is her son and Buster is her daughter.  We had Shadow fixed after her litter was weaned.  We had Blackie and Buster fixed shartly after they were weaned.

Stubby is a male feral cat that adopted us about a year after the kittens were born.  He fits right in.  He's also been fixed.

I have never seen them fight.

Noel

Edited by birdguy
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

10 hours ago, hs118 said:

Always fighting those 2

Yep, cat "play" is radically diferent to human play. To us it can look like full on combat. Their nerves are deeper in the skin and they have that layer of fur. This concept is demonstrated to us when they decide to "play" that way with us. 

Very sorry to hear about your cat. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, birdguy said:

Then I get up and open the door for her and say, "There ya go.  Go on in if you want to."  But no.  She just walks out of the room.  Apparently not important enough if she can't open the door hersel

😆 Typical cats. I think, often, it's attention seeking but sometimes it's due to the fact that they hate closed doors. They like doors open so everywhere in their surroundings is accesible. But of course you opening the door expends energy she doesn't have to.

My cat is now back to his favourite game he played when a kitten. I turn on my PC and he races at breakneck speed behind it. The scenario he wants is for me to chase him out again and make a big fuss. I like all my cables behind my PC tidy you see. These days I'm fully aware of what he's up to, so I get off my seat and walk away, so as not to encourage him. I glance back as I walk away and there he is, sitting on my sub-woofer staring at me with wide eyes. I know what he's thinking... "come on then, chase me out".

• Like 3

I'll bet that if you took the cat to the South Pacific on Some Enchanted Evening there would be no issue opening that door!  🙂

• Like 1

Years ago my wife and I bought a small place that needed fixing up. My father would come by during the day when we were working and do various fix ups.

One day I come home for lunch and the rear door is open about six inches. I call my dad and tell him he left the door open. He replied that he had not been there. I then realize I've walked into a active burglary. I walk upstairs real quiet, check all the rooms, including the shower; nothing. 

I week later I look over at the rear sliding door and my 19lb orange long hair cat slides the door open with her very sharp and long claws and walks out.

Simple physics I guess.

11 hours ago, martin-w said:

I turn on my PC and he races at breakneck speed behind it.

Shadow gets between my keyboard and monitor and goes to sleep.

Noel

Cats would rather do it themselves, Hitchcock should have made a movie!

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

The staircase scene is 1987 Joan Hickson as Miss Marple "The Sleeping Murder" by Agatha Chirstie.

https://www.amazon.com/Sleeping-Murder-Part-1/dp/B074N8RFJT/

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.