Sign in to follow this  
BlodhemnUK

Confused as hell at low frame rates

40 minutes ago, turbomax said:

2.2 GB/s read speed would still be way below the PCI3 x4 standard, which is about 3.9 GB theoretical max. make sure your NVMe doesn't run into thermal throttling, you might need a passive heat sink on them. here my Samsung NVMe results, a PCI3 device in a x4 slot:

spacer.png

spacer.png

I ordered the 970 Evo Plus last night! I was only getting about 2000 MB/s read/write with my Intel NVMe. Interface does show PCIe Gen. 3 x 4. On my Z490-E motherboard they both have heat sinks on them, but thanks for that tip. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

I am shocked to see how slow this Intel NVMe actually is, half of what PCIe3 x4 allows:

Intel SSD 660p Series 1024 GB PCI Express 3.0 M.2 - Interne Solid State Drives (SSD) (1800 MB/s)

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

2 hours ago, Mace said:

What are you using to measure fps?

I was using Developers Mode FPS tool. I have since found "my issue" though. Once I turned OFF DLSS Frame Generation all the FPS took a jump. Same fligght now showing 55-58 fps. I am still testing on whether the 4080 likes my Freesync monitor of not. It does pass the compatability tests for Geforce cards but I can't see much difference with it off or on, so who knows. At least I found my Gremlin.It looks like the 6800XT is destined for Ebay after all.

Ryzen 7 5800 x3D, Asus Tuf Gaming X570 Plus, Geforce GTX 4080 F.E., 32GB Corsair PC-3600, 1TB Samsung Evo 970 nVME SSD, 1TB Samsung Evo 870 SSD, 500GB Samsung Evo 870 SSD

22 minutes ago, Mikeingreen said:

I was using Developers Mode FPS tool. I have since found "my issue" though. Once I turned OFF DLSS Frame Generation all the FPS took a jump. Same fligght now showing 55-58 fps. I am still testing on whether the 4080 likes my Freesync monitor of not. It does pass the compatability tests for Geforce cards but I can't see much difference with it off or on, so who knows. At least I found my Gremlin.It looks like the 6800XT is destined for Ebay after all.

Hm... you definitely should not turn off frame generation on 4080 to gain fps. I would say that something is wrong with the system. Frame generation should double that 55-58 fps to minimum 100 fps in your case.

Few things to check/do:

Check if Resizable bar is enabled. (nVidia control panel - System information in left bottom corner) If not you should check your bios. There are lots of tutorials on youtube for all kinds of MB-s.

Did you try to clear DirectX Cache?

Try to delete your UserCfg.opt and let FS rebuild configuration. i know that it is pain to reconfigure everything, but I have seen it help.

Edited by Dankovic
  • Like 1

Ryzen 9 7950X3D, 32Gb DDR5@6000Mhz, PCIe 4 NVMe SSD, RTX4090 GPU, HP Reverb G2 V2 VR

1 minute ago, Dankovic said:

Hm... you definitely should not turn off frame generation on 4080 and gain fps. I would say that something is wrong with the system. Frame generation should double that 55-58 fps to minimum 100 fps in your case.

Few things to check/do:

Check if Resizable bar is enabled. (nVidia control panel - System information in left bottom corner) If not you should check your bios. There are lots of tutorials on youtube for all kinds of MB-s.

Did you try to clear DirectX Cache?

Try to delete your UserCfg.opt and let FS rebuild configuration. i know that it is pain to reconfigure everything, but I have seen it help.

NCP is showing NO on that. Off to check the BIOS now

• Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800 x3D, Asus Tuf Gaming X570 Plus, Geforce GTX 4080 F.E., 32GB Corsair PC-3600, 1TB Samsung Evo 970 nVME SSD, 1TB Samsung Evo 870 SSD, 500GB Samsung Evo 870 SSD

9 minutes ago, Dankovic said:

Hm... you definitely should not turn off frame generation on 4080 to gain fps. I would say that something is wrong with the system. Frame generation should double that 55-58 fps to minimum 100 fps in your case.

However.. the fps counter may not show that correctly..

Bert

2 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

However.. the fps counter may not show that correctly..

OMG, yes, you are right. Dev tool I think will show only fps that application is generating. DLSS 3 FG is on top of that. You should use some external counter like Riva tuner.... 

But none the less, you should not have such behaver to see such a big increase in fps when you turn off FG. It should stay the same if its not working. I think that resizable bar is needed for it to function correctly.   

Ryzen 9 7950X3D, 32Gb DDR5@6000Mhz, PCIe 4 NVMe SSD, RTX4090 GPU, HP Reverb G2 V2 VR

That did the trick although it was hard to find in my BIOS. Said something about enabling 4G support under PCIe settings of something. I set up same scenario and got 98-100 FPS. I used the Geforce Overlay (Alt-R) to test FPS this time. Raised Terrain LOD to 300 and was getting 80-82 FPS, which I can live with.

I wonder IF this is what the OP's issue is with his 4090. I don't recall it being mentioned is this thread at all until Dankovic mentioned it to me. And a Big Thanks to Dankovic for pointing me to it.

• Like 1

Just now, Mikeingreen said:

That did the trick although it was hard to find in my BIOS. Said something about enabling 4G support under PCIe settings of something. I set up same scenario and got 98-100 FPS. I used the Geforce Overlay (Alt-R) to test FPS this time. Raised Terrain LOD to 300 and was getting 80-82 FPS, which I can live with.

I wonder IF this is what the OP's issue is with his 4090. I don't recall it being mentioned is this thread at all until Dankovic mentioned it to me. And a Big Thanks to Dankovic for pointing me to it.

Great to hear that!!! Hope you are feeling better now about your purchase 🙂 FG is real game changer. If only I didnt buy VR. Now I suffer again with fps and image quality hunting, but can not go back to 2D where after 20 years, finally, all is perfect. I hope that DLSS3 FG will be supported in VR in near future.

2 hours ago, turbomax said:

I am shocked to see how slow this Intel NVMe actually is, half of what PCIe3 x4 allows:

Intel SSD 660p Series 1024 GB PCI Express 3.0 M.2 - Interne Solid State Drives (SSD) (1800 MB/s)

Yeah they are word not allowed. Can't even update the firmware because their software is a mess. The 970 Evo Plus will sort that problem out pronto. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

1 minute ago, Dankovic said:

Great to hear that!!! Hope you are feeling better now about your purchase 🙂 FG is real game changer. If only I didnt buy VR. Now I suffer again with fps and image quality hunting, but can not go back to 2D where after 20 years, finally, all is perfect. I hope that DLSS3 FG will be supported in VR in near future.

I do, too. I have a set of G2's that I have used once in MSFS with my 6800XT. My grandsons use them all the time when they come over playing Beat Sabre and Alex. I can't figure out how to just use "muscle memory" to use my H/C Alpha and Bravo with the G2's on my head so have never tried them since. I need to try again sometime, I guess.

Thanks again for your help.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dankovic said:

I think that resizable bar is needed for it to function correctly.   

definitely NOT required, HAGS is required though.

What I did find though is that when MSFS runs in windowed mode, FrameGeneration stopped as soon as:

1) MSFS window lost focus, i.e. you switched to any other window/app.

or

2) if you have any other window overlaying the main MSFS window. so make sure you don't place any other things, not even notepad on top of MSFS as this essentially also takes the focus away from MSFS.

spacer.png

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/hardware-accelerated-gpu-scheduling/

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/what-specifically-does-hardware-accelerated-gpu-scheduling-hags-do-on-windows.443802/

Edited by turbomax

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

very nice.

4 hours ago, turbomax said:

definitely NOT required, HAGS is required though.

It is not required to enable FG. GUI will disable FG option only if HAGS is not enabled. But, for it to function correctly is different story. I would suggest for 30 and 40 serie scards  to have Resizable bare enabled. Even if not using dlss3. 

1 hour ago, Dankovic said:

I would suggest for 30 and 40 serie scards  to have Resizable bare enabled.

you said it is needed for FG to function correctly, and that is definitely not correct. what is the benefit of resizable BAR if performance is the same or lower? I have not enabled it and been running MSFS for 2 years now like most others, on RTX 30 and 40 GPUs, never missed it and still I am using FG.

"So when taking gaming performance as a whole into consideration, resizable BAR support does virtually nothing to change the picture."

"However, there are also titles that see a decrease in performance, so Nvidia will be pre-testing titles and using game profiles to enable Resizable BAR only when it has a positive performance impact. That way you won't have to worry about bugs or performance decreases, and won't have to rely on the community to benchmark each title and discover whether Resizable BAR is beneficial in the games you're playing."

https://www.techspot.com/review/2234-nvidia-resizable-bar/

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/enabled-resizable-bar-1-3-fps-after-su5/440827/6

Edited by turbomax

very nice.

39 minutes ago, turbomax said:

you said it is needed for FG to function correctly, and that is definitely not correct. what is the benefit of resizable BAR if performance is the same or lower? I have not enabled it and been running MSFS for 2 years now like most others, on RTX 30 and 40 GPUs, never missed it and still I am using FG.

Well, not going to argue with you. In this case it helped. In my tests, it had big impact even before dlss3. As is should technically.