Sign in to follow this  
Murmur

Honestly, XP12 scenery is not looking bad at all.

6 minutes ago, Daube said:

Or should I also lower the settings of my XPlane12 down to minimums and post screenshots here claiming how bad the new sim looks like ? Would that be smart and constructive for the topic ?

Why?  Please read my previous post, in it's entirety.  Then you can make that decision for yourself.

1 hour ago, GCBraun said:

Can you please confirm which ortho source delivers good quality material for northern Latin America or even northern Italy? I have tried both Google and Bing and the result was atrocious. The whole process took me about 2-3 days of downloading, testing and confirming that all the electricity and hardware time used was wasted. I would also love to get rid of those ancient HDDs that I use just for X-Plane...

A few things in there.

1.  Why spend two to three days downloading tiles when you can preview them first?
2.  If you use X-Plane and enjoy it, why worry about HDDs?
3.  There are more sources than just Bing or Google.
4.  Have you tried using more than one map source for a tile?

• Upvote 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

water does look pretty much the same everywhere yes

I wasn't talking about water, but the sharp cornered shorelines. I get that you're trying to avoid that though. 

• Upvote 1

Setup: RX6800 | 5800X3D + B450 | 32GB 3200MHz | X-Plane 12

24 minutes ago, bogdansrb said:

get that you're trying to avoid that though

I was trying to compare it with some actual photos. 

25 minutes ago, bogdansrb said:

but the sharp cornered shorelines

like you get on pretty much any mountain lake? what about them?

I found about 10 similar looking places on the map before I stopped looking.

AutoATC Developer

3 hours ago, bogdansrb said:

For those not into watching the whole video, I'll summarize his thougths on scenery

It's been repeated countless times in this forum, but apparently people don't seem to get it yet:

if worldwide default scenery is your first priority in a flight sim (like it is for 90% of simmers), then you should definitely use MSFS for that.

Understanding that would avoid a lot of repetitive discussions here.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

if worldwide default scenery is your first priority in a flight sim (like it is for 90% of simmers), then you should definitely use MSFS for that.

No thank you. I would rather use the more superior x-plane (in terms of flight dynamics, lighting, sounds and depth of systems) AND have nice scenery.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Setup: RX6800 | 5800X3D + B450 | 32GB 3200MHz | X-Plane 12

42 minutes ago, bogdansrb said:

No thank you. I would rather use the more superior x-plane (in terms of flight dynamics, lighting, sounds and depth of systems) AND have nice scenery.

Consider this a lesson in life.  We can't always get everything we want.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Franz007 said:

Oh but you are right. These datas would be open-source and that would be the solution for streaming orthos without any licence-concerne, right?

thats the editor and raw data source for both xplane and msfs non airport scenery, roads, inland water bodies and most of the buildings.

xplane hand crafted all the airports via the gateway

msfs used blackshark.ai for default airports save a few dozen exemplars and individual payware/freeware if you want a decent airport.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

3 hours ago, mSparks said:

thats the editor and raw data source for both xplane and msfs non airport scenery, roads, inland water bodies and most of the buildings.

xplane hand crafted all the airports via the gateway

msfs used blackshark.ai for default airports save a few dozen exemplars and individual payware/freeware if you want a decent airport.

I was actually talking about the satellite-orthos.

i912900k, RTX 3090, 32GB RAM

This is not the "MSFS vs X-Plane" forum.  I've hidden one complete thread that was taken over by the usual suspects bickering and clawing at each other in furtherance of the worn-out "my sim is better than your sim" urinary olympiad.  This thread is another clear candidate.  Knock it off.

Enough of the axe-grinding.  If you've had your say about what you don't like already, please note that nobody needs to hear it repeated 25 times.  Enough already.

For those of you who feel compelled to make snide remarks about other forum members, I'd strongly suggest you restrain yourselves from continuing that behavior any further.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Hats off to your patience. By now, I'd likely have swung the banhammer like my tennis playing namesake swung his racket during his heyday.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

55 minutes ago, Franz007 said:

I was actually talking about the satellite-orthos.

they do not define the trees, roads, water bodies, airports nor any other 3, 4 or 5 dimensional aspect of flightsim scenery.

AutoATC Developer

56 minutes ago, mSparks said:

they do not define the trees, roads, water bodies, airports nor any other 3, 4 or 5 dimensional aspect of flightsim scenery.

I think you understood me wrong. In the link you provided, OSM seems to also make satellite-imageries available, for free access. I was not talking about other assets.

14 minutes ago, Franz007 said:

I think you understood me wrong. In the link you provided, OSM seems to also make satellite-imageries available, for free access. I was not talking about other assets.

josm is the editor for openstreetmap data used for all the vector data of both sims (although as far as I can tell, msfs is based on a several years old dataset for my local area).

You import satellite data into it then draw things like lakes, building footprints, roads, etc etc.

If a lake in Xplane is "to low poly " most likely its missing some points in osm, if one really cares about fixing it, you join one of the 100,000 or more other osm editers open it up in jsom, clean it and export it, and it will be in the next scenery revision of your favourite sim that relies on it.

However I suspect the original poster doesn't actually care at all, let alone enough to spend an evening getting involved with an actual community that does take such things seriously.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

1 hour ago, mSparks said:

josm is the editor for openstreetmap data used for all the vector data of both sims (although as far as I can tell, msfs is based on a several years old dataset for my local area).

You import satellite data into it then draw things like lakes, building footprints, roads, etc etc.

If a lake in Xplane is "to low poly " most likely its missing some points in osm, if one really cares about fixing it, you join one of the 100,000 or more other osm editers open it up in jsom, clean it and export it, and it will be in the next scenery revision of your favourite sim that relies on it.

However I suspect the original poster doesn't actually care at all, let alone enough to spend an evening getting involved with an actual community that does take such things seriously.

I try it again. My question: is it technically possible to get SATELLITE-imageries from that OSM-Api? Satellite-imageries are bitmaps/orthophotos and not vector-datas. Because in one of the discussions on the org-forum there were concerns about these datas having to be licenced when taken from Google-maps or Bing etc.

Edited by Franz007