Sign in to follow this  
PhilTaylor

FSX-SP2(DX10): 3rd public post

Back in Feb I talked about "design challenges" when the hw didnt measure up.Level-based games are entirely different than what we do. If we put a feature it, it gets automatically used around the world and where water is dense is not tweakable by an artist. Rendering the entire planet can be both a strength and a weakness; as scaling has a different meaning.

Just one question, is the DX10 upgrade 10.0 or 10.1? MS decided to come out with new DX10 spec called 10.1 and NO current DX10 vid card on market uses 10.1, which is supposed to be part of Vista SP1.

Guest JSPuonti

> Just one question, is the DX10 upgrade 10.0 or 10.1?As Phil pointed out on the previous page, the FSX DX10 update will not use any of the rendering enhancements introduced in 10.1. It should still benefit from the low-level optimizations which will affect all DX10 games (as I understood it), though.

Guest AC777_LR

Actually I can run FSX pretty darn good with SP1 on my new system so no idea what you're complaining about. And why is the lack of FPS in FSX such a big surprise to some? Every FS title over the last few years has taken a few years to run at full settings. ####, even FS2004 can bring down the FPS on current high end systems. You need to relax, take a deep breathe and let time takes its course and let the hardware catch up to FSX.

Phil,Thank you for keeping the community informed and sharing openly (as much as you can) the insights to this progress with SP2.FSX is a great product and that there is no doubt. DX 10 /10.1 / Vista .. these are not what is important to the dedicated pilot. Its the immersiveness of the environment and model you create.Enjoy your well deserved break, it is very deserved and I look forward to your next update.

>>I believe the point is subtler than that.>>>>To get access to the 10.1 features ( which iirc is either>>finer-grained scheduling/interruptability and lower level>>virtual paging control for virtual texturing or both ) you>>will need 10.1 hw.>>>>just like 9.0c runs on 9 hw but without access to the 2.0a>or>>2.0b shader models defined after 9.0, 10.1 will run on 10.0>>hw. you just wont get access to the new features. >>>>its physically impossible to add new features to a chip>>already on a board, but that doesnt mean the new runtime>wont>>run at all. for that matter, the 9.0 runtime ran on 8.x hw,>>just with access to only the 1.x shader models.>>>>Sounds to me like someone figured out a way to force more>expensive hardware upgrades.>>If I recall, IBM tried this once... once. Anyone remember>PS2? ;)Ed, I think you're reaching there. It's been like this as long as I've been buying 3D accelerators.

Actually, I'm not reaching as much as you think.Prior to the DX10 approach, feature functionality of DirectX was in the DirectX software itself. If your video card wasn't a DX9c card, DX9c still functioned with all the additional features... it was emulated.From what I'm reading about DX10 and beyond, that won't be happening. If the hardware doesn't support a new version directly... the new version's additional capabilities won't be active.If that's not correct... I'll be happy to have someone from MS step in here and say so. :)

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

This is absolutely not true.There is a reference device that provides emulation at less than 1 frame a second so developers and driver writers have a test vehicle for isolating bugs.Outside of that,if the hw doesnt support it, its not there.You need a 6x series or better nVidia card to get Shader Model 3.0. The 5x series just plain doesnt do that. Now, the 9.0c runtime would indeed run on the 5x series, but with no features.I am assuming the 10.1 runtime will run 10.0 hw, but with no new features just the way 9.0c runs on the 5x but with no new features.

>>You need a 6x series or better nVidia card to get Shader Model>3.0. The 5x series just plain doesnt do that. Now, the 9.0c>runtime would indeed run on the 5x series, but with no>features.>That's right, I ran a GeForce2 card (DirectX 7.0 compliant) in FS2004 (a DX9 title) and it ran just fine. It simply didn't have the DX9 graphical features, but it ran fine.All of this has been happening forever, and ever, since the Glide D3D OpenGL API's were out.Since SP2 is going to be DX10.0, I don't see what the big deal is anyway. That's good, it means if you have an 8800 card you're set already.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I cannot believe there was ANYONE who seriously believed DX10 would look anything like that (obviously faked)half- photo / half graphic.How many times do we have to debunk that fake screenshot?

>ARE THEY EVEN FREAKING AWARE THAT 90% OF THE PEOPLE WHO>BOUGHT THEIR defective PRODUCT CAN RUN IT IN REASONABLE FPS>WITHOUT ANY KIND OF MODIFICATION>>ARE THEY THAT OBLIVIOUS TO THE CURRENT STATE OF THEIR>SIMULATOR ?>>>******* I MEAN I BET THEY LIVE IN THEIR OWN LITTLE BUbBLE >THEY ARE WITHOUT A DOUBT AVOIDING REALITY !!!>>>>AN ANGRY FSX COSTUMERSpokesman of the 'slider right' lobby ? Sounds like....I can't remember exactly how long it took to run FS9 at average 30 FPS and maximum settings - was it yesterday ? ;-) Heiko

Guest unitedpilot36

>I'll tell you right now we arent making that. Where's the guy who says "I hate to say I told ya so"?If you guys skipped this whole DX10 nonsense, you could've been almost an entire year into FS11.

Guest unitedpilot36

>>ARE THEY EVEN FREAKING AWARE THAT 90% OF THE PEOPLE WHO>>BOUGHT THEIR defective PRODUCT CAN RUN IT IN REASONABLE FPS>>WITHOUT ANY KIND OF MODIFICATION>>>>ARE THEY THAT OBLIVIOUS TO THE CURRENT STATE OF THEIR>>SIMULATOR ?>>>>>>******* I MEAN I BET THEY LIVE IN THEIR OWN LITTLE BUbBLE >>THEY ARE WITHOUT A DOUBT AVOIDING REALITY !!!>>>>>>>>AN ANGRY FSX COSTUMER>>>Spokesman of the 'slider right' lobby ? Sounds like....>>>I can't remember exactly how long it took to run FS9 at>average 30 FPS and maximum settings - was it yesterday ? >;-) >>>Heiko>>It took me until yesterday, when I got my Core 2 Duo E6750. :D