Sign in to follow this  

I just recently upgraded my motherboard and CPU. So I'm still playing around with settings. Just using standard default intel clocks and ram settings for now.  On average, I'm getting around 70 FPS. Mostly high/ultra settings. Its very smooth in VR, most of the time, but I'm still troubleshooting why I'm getting occasional hard pauses of 5-15 seconds during all phases of flight, since upgrading.   My previous system is close to what you have, (3080Ti/10900K) and was getting similar fps as you.  I was quite surprised as to how much the 4090 improved my FPS vers my 3080Ti. 

Just trying to get the very best performance out of my VR setup as I can. If it wasn't for VR,  I would not have upgraded as my older system ran MSFS in 4K on 2D monitor without any issues. To be honest, it wasn't bad with VR and the G2.   

Edited by rickjake

Rick Verhallen

i9-13900KF OC to 5.8 Ghz | 64 GIG- G.Skill 7200 RAM | Asus ROG Maximus z790 Hero Motherboard | Gigabyte  RTX 4090 OC |  47" Samsung 4K Monitor I HP Reverb G2 HMD I Varjo Aero HMD I  Windows 11

3 minutes ago, ZoblebV8 said:

Doesn't the Varjo have active cooling? That seems like it would be a big plus. I have a Valve Index and it does get warm after a while.

Yes it does.  I don't really notice it though. It never fogs up on me so, I guess its working. 

Rick Verhallen

i9-13900KF OC to 5.8 Ghz | 64 GIG- G.Skill 7200 RAM | Asus ROG Maximus z790 Hero Motherboard | Gigabyte  RTX 4090 OC |  47" Samsung 4K Monitor I HP Reverb G2 HMD I Varjo Aero HMD I  Windows 11

21 minutes ago, rickjake said:

but I'm still troubleshooting why I'm getting occasional hard pauses of 5-15 seconds during all phases of flight, since upgrading. 

I have been having this problem of occasional long pause in recent months, without any changes in my hardware. So I wonder this is actually due to MSFS server glitch, nothing to do with the hardware.

Me too the only reason I'm upgrading is for the VR. I'm worrying whether my 10850K will become the bottleneck running 4090. Upgrading to 13900k or 7800X3D would be nice, but I can only do so much without being caught by the house CFO ... lol

Edited by FlyIce

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

1 hour ago, rickjake said:

If you can run everything at a fairly high setting, the Varjo comes very close to 4k look. (in my opinion)

That’s one of the reasons I got rid of the G2. I was spoiled with a 65 inch 4K LGC1. 

So you’re saying the Varjo comes close to that? I have a 4090 7950X so have no issues with the hardware. 

I'd say you should definitely give G2 a try again if it's still sitting on your desk. Increasing the scaling in OpenXR does wonders to bring out the image potential of G2, only that you must have a uber powerful card, and you already have 4090.  

I like the picture quality of 4K monitor, but flying VR is so close to flying the real airplane (and I do), that feeling simply doesn't exist on 2D. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, rickjake said:

I would prefer the G2 with the OLED displays

As much as I would love the G2 to have OLED displays, they are in fact LCD and have a greyish backlight when night flying. It's not terrible, but once you've tried an OLED VR headset in dark conditions, like I did with my PSVR jury rigged to my PC when I was first trialing VR to see if I would like it, there is no comparison.

• Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

8 hours ago, FlyIce said:

I'd say you should definitely give G2 a try again

I sold it years ago 😄 

I understood the G2 is still the best "affordable" headset around. Now I also understand why the quotes... Can't find it at less than 900 euros around here.

Not so long ago there was a sale on the HP north-american store where the headset was sold for 300 dollars only ?? But here in Europe we can only find it at almost 1.000 euros ? My usual luck, I guess...

• Like 1

Gee, $1000 euros is way too much for G2. I paid $650. If G2 is at 1k euro, I'd rather try to swallow the Aero at $2k.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Daube said:

I understood the G2 is still the best "affordable" headset around. Now I also understand why the quotes... Can't find it at less than 900 euros around here.

Not so long ago there was a sale on the HP north-american store where the headset was sold for 300 dollars only ?? But here in Europe we can only find it at almost 1.000 euros ? My usual luck, I guess...

Don’t pay it, most I paid for one when they came out was £650 

18 hours ago, ZoblebV8 said:

Doesn't the Varjo have active cooling? That seems like it would be a big plus. I have a Valve Index and it does get warm after a while.

It does and it's one of the things I really like about it. Sweet spot problems are a non issue for me now as is any sense of pixellyness. Mainly now I just want more FPS and hope that a decent motion reprojection will come soon... and that local dimming thing.

Varjo Aero, Zotac 3090, i9-12900K, 32GB Ram, RX Viper Rudder Pedals, AuthentiKit Controls + Fulcrum Yoke

atk-logo-354.jpg

This one's coming out sometime later this year and it's looking good. No info on price as yet though. 

The company cites the following specifications:

• Display: 2 x 3.2″ 2,880 × 2,880 Fast LCD. Horizontal FOV 120°, Vertical FOV 100°.
  • Passthrough cameras: 2 x 3.864 × 2.192, 90 FPS (foveated transport), FOV 120° × 100°.
  • Ultraleap hand tracking
  • Custom-made eye tracking
  • WiFi 6e
  • Wireless PC VR streaming
  • Native wired PC Mode (lossless)
  • Native Steam VR & OpenXR support
  • 3x USB-C 10 Gbps for external accessories (USB 3.2 Gen2)
  • Integrated high-quality stereo microphones
  • Headphone jack
  • Custom-made head strap with included in-ear headphones
  • 3 modular customizable and 3D printable anchor points

Edited by saifs

Lately there's been some positive feedback using the Pico 4 with Virtual Desktop in "god mode". Has better optics & FOV than the G2 and is as cheap as a Quest 2. There are still some caveats about it worth researching. Though not significant, the wireless connection apparently adds at least 40ms of lag which might be a problem for competitive sim racing and low level heli flying