Sign in to follow this  
sidfadc

On Vatsim seeing a lot of this currently?

I think it might be a vPilot issue.

vPilot would be detecting any vertical movement of the sim aircraft (raising the nose by the tug would be seen the same as if you were to feed in up elevator whilst you are flying) and would be transmitting the change in pitch to the vatsim servers.

Now to try to make taxiing and flying movements smoother, vpilot receives data from the vatsim servers, and continues the aircraft on that trajectory, until it receives the next sim position packet from the server.

So if an aircraft next to you is being lifted by the tug, its vPilot agent would detect the change in pitch, and send that to the servers. Your vPilot client would receive an update that the aircraft next to you has increased its pitch, and your vPilot client will show that aircraft constantly increasing its pitch angle until it receives the next update.

Given that the changes in pitch are so small during tug raise/lower, that vPilot is misinterpreting these changes from other aircraft and exaggerating them.

I would have thought now that the data’s coming at 5Hz, the aircraft could be shown slightly delayed using a start position and the end position and animating between the two frames. Rather than what was needed before when the updates came at once every 5 seconds, of using the acceleration to guess what’s going to happen until the next packet comes in.  

16 hours ago, Fiorentoni said:

2) As for inappropriate runways chosen, are you sure about that? One of you might go by the wind only, the other one might be looking at the charts and see that one runway is the preferred landing runway for noise abatement reasons up to a tailwind of 10kts. The third one might have been on final approach when the metar changed and like in real life isn't gonna go missed approach now just because a 2kt headwind has turned into a 2kt tailwind. There are so many factors involved in what runway is active that you have to take it for granted that these things happen every once in a while without a controller deciding the active runway, no matter how professional the pilots are.

3) As for Unicom usage - very little people actually use Unicom anymore these days. Most people probably look if there's any possible arrival/departure conflict with SimAware and if not, they just go. And I think that's fair enough. It's not realistic either calling for "Heathrow traffic" for landing, especially when there's like one aircraft standing at the gates of an otherwise empty Heathrow. Me personally I just disconnect in these cases and use AIG because I don't want to land on empty airports.

Generally I have not once seen one of those things described here, neither did someone taxi into me nor did I have an aircraft landing in the opposite direction while I'm taking off. These things I only see with AI traffic and a lot.

Going off winds is fine and I guess I am talking about one instance where literally 3 or more planes departed and someone on their approach continued to announce they were "expecting" to land the opposite direction. I will give a pass if you are on final and the runways change. It happens.

The guy who taxiied right through me, well I have been simming for over 10 years and have never seen that until now. Over he last 2 or so from what I have personally seen/heard over the radios I cannot say I'm surprised he/she did that and have seen it happen to someone else even though it appeared they were AFK as they just didnt move the entire time I was even loading up. The whole point of flying online is to avoid nonsense that an AI aircraft might do yet this is what I am dealing with online. The quality has just gone down. I have even seen GND control online clearly directing traffic to a runway and see people still decide they want to land the opposite direction just because of "winds" Seems like nobody checks the ATIS/real world runway use or even monitor other frequencies. The scary part is some of these people fly real airplanes in your local traffic pattern.

Edited by environmental_ice

Pinging @virtuali to see if there is anything that they can do to remedy this issue unless it’s an inherent issue with the core AI code.

Eric 

Maybe the increase in "Vatsim nonsense" is because of the increase in casual flight simmers brought about by the release of the new Microsoft Flight Simulator? In other words, an increase in the number of users who cannot be bothered to play exactly by the rules.

• Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Has anyone raised this with the dev of Vpilot? seems that it should be easy to detect this behaviour and ignore the pitch increase?

It might also be worth seeing what is output in the debug window for VPilot when this is happening. If anyone wants to jump onto Vatsim and do a pushback, happy to jump on and see what data vpilot is seeing.

Edited by MrRoper

Chris Warner

PMDG : JS4100, MD-11, 737 NGX (Soon!)

2 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

Maybe the increase in "Vatsim nonsense" is because of the increase in casual flight simmers brought about by the release of the new Microsoft Flight Simulator? In other words, an increase in the number of users who cannot be bothered to play exactly by the rules.

I don't think casual simmers would get into Vatsim, especially since it's not available on XBox. Vatsim is not fun for someone who just wants to fly around. People *intentionally* go on Vatsim to increase their feeling of realism and learn correct ATC procedures.
What could happen, however, is that those people are rather new in flight simming an therefore a bit overwhelmed. Before MSFS the influx of new users to Vatsim was really low, so the majority of the Vatsim pilots was probably flight simming for decades. Now this proportion changed due to MSFS. But this has nothing to do with the attitude of those new simmers, just experience.
I know where you're argument is coming from, you consider MSFS made for casual simmers and P3D for serious simmers, which I derive from your posts over at the P3D forum. You are projecting your thought concept on Vatsim ("MSFS is for casual simmer, so those on Vatsim must be casual simmers, and therefore this is the explanation of this behaviour"), which leads you to your wrong conclusion.

• Upvote 2

You misunderstand me. I am not coming from an "MSFS is for casual simmers" angle with this debate. I simply mean that there are a lot more users of MSFS than there will have ever been in P3D or XPlane. That being the case, I just wondered if a few more "less than dedicated" people may have slipped through the (inter)net.

By the way, if you think that my posts are in any way a suggestion that I believe that MSFS is for casual simmers and P3D is for serious simmers, then you are not reading them well enough. I am nowhere close to a "study level" pilot in any sense of the word, so considering myself to be in a somewhat elevated position compared to most other flight simmers would be a bit daft!

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Biologists still hotly debate why airplanes breach. Some argue it's playful in nature; others feel it's a form of communication, or possibly a way to attract mates. 

Whatever the reason, we can all agree that there is nothing more majestic than the sight of a 787 breaking the surface of the taxiway with breathtaking power and grace.