Sign in to follow this  
Republic DC9

Anybody Turn Off Real World Graphics

I was fiddling around with two other sims I own that don’t have photogrammetry or orthos built in and while I closed them quickly due to other issues, I DID like how the ground is never puke green or brown or winter snow in the midst of summer (I fly in my home state of Wisconsin where the orthos are sometimes great, sometimes yuck).

I tried running without any online imagery and it wasn’t THAT bad?

It was consistently colored, for sure, and silky smooth...and the streets and rivers and landclass type seemed about right.

Maybe I’ve lost my mind? 🙂

I'm currently using photogrammetry off as a bit of an experiment and find it's not that different visually (certainly around the airports, city centres are different of course). Performance is great. Flying the jetliners you don;t really notice the difference anyway. FPS wise it gives me back about 5-7 fps.

Edited by flyhalf

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

I use the real world graphics, but not the photogrammetry (which can be poor in places).  This gives me the best mix of visuals and performance I have found.  I really don't like the photogrammetry trees anyway.

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

I love photogrammetry, but I uninstalled the photogrammetry city updates that were part of SU 10 (the second USA update). The reason I uninstalled the second USA city updates was because of what happened to the area around Charleston, WV, near where I live and fly most. In that update, the city of Charleston was given photogrammetry. The city itself looks fantastic. But the region immediately surrounding the city of Charleston was completely trashed in all directions (for reasons I've never been able to figure out or correct). If you've ever read or heard about the Tunguska Event in Russia, that's what the area looks like with photogrammetry installed for Charleston and turned ON. Go see for yourself. Take off from KCRW (Yeager Airport). Head west for the worst of it. If you turn photogrammetry OFF or have photogrammetry uninstalled for this city, everything looks outstanding.  

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

PG off is shockingly plausible but looks a little too sterile to be quite as realistic as PG on.   Honestly to me on or off just doesn't matter a whole lot.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

PG looks too melty in most cities.  Sometimes if the server load is low it can be fine.

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I fly with Bing maps on and when I see a landclass patch to cover clouds, I quickly look the other way. 🙂
I have never tried flying with Bing maps off. Maybe that gives a whole other look.
How do airports blend with Bing maps off?

Edited by bvdboomen

I like photogrammetry, but I never know when I arrive to a PG area if it gonna be a nucklear wasteland or look amazing. So lately I have turned it off so I dont get those ugly surprises. 

When I used to fly in the PG area sometimes I had a hard time to notice wether I left the PG area or not, thats how good just ortho and generic buildings can look sometimes. 

The experience is nice but its just to inconsistent. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1