Sign in to follow this  
Noel

What makes Fenix the better A32 over FBW...or is it?

It will seem less convoluted with familiarity and workflows.  While the objectives are similar, they differ much in the process of entering information to the FMCs to prepare for flight. And the throttle logic of the two aircraft are entirely different. I suppose the common view that the A320 involves less work than the 737 stems from the fact that once you are airborne in the A320, autopilot engaged, and throttle levers set to climb mode, you can basically forget about the throttles until  you cross the threshold and are ready to flare. They are both heavily automated, of course, but the 737 lends itself more to hand flying and more pilot inputs. But if both are being flown in LNAV/VNAV modes (managed mode in A320), and both flying ILS approaches at destination, there is probably little difference in the number and complexity of all the inputs required to prepare the aircraft for flight and for executing the flight itself. 
Rich

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, martinboehme said:

The green arrow next to EBOMA means that EBOMA is a flyover waypoint, rather than a flyby waypoint, and that after flying over EBOMA, the aircraft should turn to the left. Maybe the problem that @holland786 mentioned is related to flyover waypoints?

I do see that you don't have any discontinuities or other waypoints between EBOMA and CI25. I'm confused because on the STAR in question (ARDOL 9W), EBOMA should be followed by MOLBA. Did you delete MOLBA from the flight plan?

In any case, I imagine the problem may be caused by the fact that the FMS thinks it should turn left after EBOMA, but CI25 requires a turn to the right.

As a workaround, I would suggest using DIR TO or heading select after EBOMA.

Thank you kindly for your replies!  Oh I deleted some waypoints alright to try to eliminate the 41nm route to nowhere (it was supposed to be to CI25 but as you saw it doesn't connect).  Yes, I would have just used HDG SEL but wanted to try to fix what was wrong in the MCDU.  Re DIR TO:  does it automatically then proceed from its DIR TO point to the next waypoint in the plan?

Wow, DX11 is substantially better than DX12 it seems, enough to hang on til the FBW gets VNAV and solves the pauses issue!  

Edited by Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Oh, and this would be fantastic to know:  is it possible reset the MCDU outright and start over as it were, in the same session?

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Yes, just enter a From/To pair in the Init A page. It can be the same From/To pair that you had before.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Regarding the earlier discussion on setting pitch trim for takeoff, see https://docs.flybywiresim.com/pilots-corner/beginner-guide/preparing-mcdu/#perf and the "setting pitch trim advice" here: https://docs.flybywiresim.com/pilots-corner/beginner-guide/engine-start-taxi/#after-engine-start.

For the vertical guidance symbols, see https://docs.flybywiresim.com/pilots-corner/advanced-guides/flight-guidance/vertical-guidance/nd-symbols/?h=sym

There is a wealth of information in the Fly-By-Wire documentation. You may want to start here - https://docs.flybywiresim.com/pilots-corner/beginner-guide/overview/

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Noel said:

Thank you kindly for your replies!  Oh I deleted some waypoints alright to try to eliminate the 41nm route to nowhere (it was supposed to be to CI25 but as you saw it doesn't connect).  Yes, I would have just used HDG SEL but wanted to try to fix what was wrong in the MCDU.  Re DIR TO:  does it automatically then proceed from its DIR TO point to the next waypoint in the plan?

Wow, DX11 is substantially better than DX12 it seems, enough to hang on til the FBW gets VNAV and solves the pauses issue!  

Discontinuityies are not always wrong. 

https://docs.flybywiresim.com/pilots-corner/advanced-guides/flight-planning/disco/

And yes, after reaching the Dir waypoint the plane proceeds to the next waypoint.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Donstim said:

ere is a wealth of information in the Fly-By-Wire documentation. You may want to start here

Thank you Donstim I absolutely have, but not all of it and just have a few targeted questions left at the moment don't have any of those! The FBW documentation is excellent for sure!

Noel

20 hours ago, holland786 said:

The stuttering issue is being worked on, but fixing it requires entirely rewriting a big component of the aircraft, so it will take a bit. We also have multiple display optimisations in the pipeline, which should improve general frametimes too.

For what it's worth I've noticed the pauses/hangs during taxi are frequently associated with ground sound effects perhaps that might be worth investigating if it hasn't already.

Cheers

Noel

Anyone who might know.  I read the documentation and it's not behaving as expected or I'm missing something.  I've been doing the SimBrief import but wanted to try the MSFS WM plan import--I used the correct setting of Sync MSFS, how do I get the actual route waypoint into the MCDU from the WM planner?

Thanks in advance

Noel

I'm becoming a convert fast!  The PMDG 738 just seems so clunky compared to the FBW A320NX!  And there is so much more going on with this plane that the 738 IMO.  PMDG said they couldn't do keyboard inputs in the FMC but somehow FBW has it working.  I also had a chance to test drive some optimization work they are doing which made a giant improvement over the current versions that stutter esp during taxi but it's not ready quite yet they say but hopefully soon.  Very different creatures but I'm starting to like the Airbus a lot! 

Noel

Hi
I use the Fenix A320 with satisfaction and the only thing that leaves me perplexed is the "road holding" during the take-off run over 100 knots and on landing reaching 130 up to 90 knots (approximate values).

At the indicated speeds it is very difficult for me to keep the Fenix aligned.
The same does not happen with the FBW and with the PMDG 737-700.

To remedy the difficulty with the Fenix I place half of the passengers (60-70) in order to be lighter and have lower Vr.

I have a Thrustmaster pedal set which seems to work fine.

Takeoff: a little bit sidestick down until 100 knots then released until Vr then sidestick up.

Any suggestions to remedy these "slips" in speed that only the Fenix causes?

Thanks in advance

Ciao

Edited by pilotax57

1 hour ago, pilotax57 said:

I use the Fenix A320 with satisfaction and the only thing that leaves me perplexed is the "road holding" during the take-off run over 100 knots and on landing reaching 130 up to 90 knots (approximate values).

Has been improved a substantial amount in the next version - not released yet, but in due course.

• Like 3

Aamir Thacker

I just flew the Fenix, and while I'm far from experienced in the Airbus, I am able to hold the centerline better than anything else.  The PMDG holds center good, but seems slightly more sensitive.  I absolutely love the Fenix.  I never thought I'd enjoy the Airbus.  I love the 737 equally, but the Fenix is so fun to me.  I hope you guys don't change the flight model too much, as you mentioned, because I can track the centerline and maneuver all phases perfectly. 

I do wonder if anyone can answer me a question.  When I fly the Fenix into an ILS or RNAV approach, the autothrottle holds steady all the way down.  But I've done two flights into KBUR's runway 15, which has no RNAV or ILS, only visual, and a couple miles out the AT runs up the speed/thrust and I have to intervene.  Are visuals meant to be manually thrusted or am I missing something?

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

14 minutes ago, Orlaam said:

I do wonder if anyone can answer me a question.  When I fly the Fenix into an ILS or RNAV approach, the autothrottle holds steady all the way down.  But I've done two flights into KBUR's runway 15, which has no RNAV or ILS, only visual, and a couple miles out the AT runs up the speed/thrust and I have to intervene.  Are visuals meant to be manually thrusted or am I missing something?

I have run into this also. Not with that airport, but yesterday or today, it REALLY wanted to accelerate on the glideslope.