Sign in to follow this  
LCAir

Question about hardware

I am curious about my pc performance. Also this discussion may be of interest to others. I will list my pc components and the resulting comments by the in-game cpu/gpu fps performance window. 

i7-8700K on an ASUS Prime z370-A mobo with 32 GB Corsair RAM running Win10/64 Home

drives: C: 512 GB M.2 SSD with OS only / E: 1TB M.2 SSD for general use / F: 512 GB SATA SSD for MSFS2020 only

34" ultrawide monitor 165Hz refresh rate and 1440p

GTX 1060 6GB video card and a 650w Seasonic PSU

With this setup and the simulator values set low I receive the comment 'limited by GPU'.

And now I have upgraded my pc with a Powercolor 7900XTX and a Seasonic 1300w PSU. I set the simulator values to max across the board. The comment is 'limited by main thread'. No direct mention of hardware. Does this mean the computer can't process the main thread sufficiently? The main thread itself is a problem? Oh btw I am flying over rural areas with a large city in the distance. The temps on AMD's Adrenaline show CPU at 43* and GPU at 53*. Utilization in the 60% range. 

I do not have MSFS, still waiting for that sim to be finished, but if the message is that you are limited by main thread, that would indicate the CPU is now the bottleneck.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

On 1/22/2023 at 1:26 PM, LCAir said:

The comment is 'limited by main thread'. No direct mention of hardware. Does this mean the computer can't process the main thread sufficiently?

As @stanssays, your CPU is now the bottleneck. This is not necessarily a bad thing, as something has to be the bottleneck no matter how good your system's hardware is.

It is only an issue if you are still not happy with your upgraded system's overall performance AND you don't want to turn any settings down that may alleviate it (like TLOD, one of the primary main thread limited culprits) AND the main thread frame time is much higher than the GPU frame time (otherwise upgrading your CPU will only yield a marginal performance improvement as the GPU will become the bottleneck once again).

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

On 1/22/2023 at 12:34 PM, LCAir said:

No comments? I was wondering what response others got on their machines.

As @Reset XPDR already said, you are now limited by the CPU ....
Are you happy with the performance you get? Then don't worry to much.
Not happy? A faster CPU should/could help, but don't expect 165 fps ... 😉
Even if you upgrade to a much faster CPU you proably stay limited by the main thread - thanks to your very powerful GPU.
But as alreday said, that doesn't have to be a bad thing.

Nvidia 4090 | AMD 5950X | 128GB DDR4 3200 | LG C1 48"
TCA Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Bravo | TPR Rudders | Stream Deck XL | Tobii 5

I am happy with my performance. The only time I see any problem is when I hold right mouse button and look around rapidly I will see some stuttering. Maybe I can turn something down a little bit? Like this TOLD whatever that is. Its certainly not something which would cause me to throw more money at it lol.

4 hours ago, LCAir said:

Like this TOLD whatever that is.

It’s TLOD - Terrain Level Of Detail, in General graphics settings.

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

Basically, your cpu is not as fast as your gpu. If you are happy with your system, it is okey. But if you upgrade your cpu too then you will have better performance.

C. Uygar

Aircraft Maint. Engineer. at LTFJ