Sign in to follow this  
honanhal

Fenix: taxiing using aileron axis possible?

Hi all,

I'm coming back to the Fenix after a long time away. With all the other aircraft I've flown in MSFS (including the PMDG 737), it's been possible to use autorudder to allow me to taxi using my joystick. I don't have rudder pedals, and trying to use keyboard commands (or even worse, trying to use the little rotary thingy on my Warthog throttle!) to steer anything on the ground...well, it's not graceful, let's put it that way.

Enter the Fenix. I remember that when it came out I had to struggle to taxi the thing in that very inelegant way because the autorudder didn't work as with other planes. Am I missing anything? Is there any way to get it to use my aileron axis to steer on the ground? (A google search and a pretty thorough perusal of all the control and general options in the Fenix came up empty.)

James

I would try and save up for some rudder pedals. Trying to fly and  land the Fenix  with autorudder on is not going to work very well. 

• Like 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

Autorudder really is a very bad idea when flying an airliner. Rudder input is only used at takeoff and final approach. Everything else just confuses the delicate brain of the plane. 🙂

If you don't want to buy pedals, I recommend a Thrustmaster T.16000 with a Z-Axis (twisting the stick) or a similar joystick. For me this works with every plane.

Edited by crimplene
  • Like 2

I use the throttle slider on my Thrustmaster Airbus sidestick as my tiller.

I use a throttle quadrant and rudder pedals, so the slider wasn't being used for anything  else.

Not near my simming PC for a while, so can't check exactly how to make the change. However, there is a setting which allows you to set independent tiller and rudder functionality in the Fenix. Great feature that makes ground steering more accurate.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

I use my joystick to control both the wheel steering and ailerons at the same time, works fine.

• Like 2

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

Just assign yoke or joystick to Tiller also. Had to do that when Taxing because of Arthritis in my right knee. 🙂

Edited by Adrian123
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Adrian123 said:

Just assign yoke or joystick to Tiller also. Had to do that when Taxing because of Arthritis in my right knee. 🙂

Good idea. So he can for example assign to the aileron axis instead of rudder and can switch off this silly autorudder.

Edited by crimplene

I know an old pilot/mechanic that got in an accident.

He was driving his car home at night after a long day. Suddenly a car turns out in front of him from the left.

He reacted quickly as a pilot and stomped on the gas to avoid the car, but he was not in an airplane so he hit hard.

Habits diet hard.

Pit.jpg

Com GA Pilot, Retired • MSFS 2020 • Gigabyte 8th gen lga1151 motherboard z2370 hd3, i5 8600 8th gen 4.3ghz, Thermaltake 750w power supply, 4 x 8gb ddr4 dimm, MSI force GTO 1070 8gb ddr5, 4 SSD's • 4K main display with 3 HD displays, one is a touch screen. Often used as 3 1080P NVIDEA surround screens and one HD touchscreen for AirManager

23 hours ago, 177B said:

Habits diet hard

And diet habits are hard to change😧

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Despite the dire warnings re auto-rudder, I used it for a while in the PMDG 738 and its effects are really modest.  I don't use it anymore and have noticed really no significant difference in the PMDG 738, and in the FBW A320NX it's perfect for my needs as well. I have no interest in pedals so I use an old Cessna Trim Wheel for nose-wheel/ground steering, and link rudder axis to my aileron axis.  I land in crosswinds and landings are scored via APL and in terms of descent rate and G-forces I'm doing well in that scenario w/ good control of the aircraft so don't need anything more than that.  Because I have no brake pedals, and because it's nice to have an axis I use the same axis on the TM Boeing TQ that I assigned for spoilers.  I also use the left trigger on the Boeing yoke for braking, but it's on/off so can't control rate of braking as well with it.  Arming spoilers doesn't create an issue, and ground braking up at altitudes where spoilers get used doesn't conflict, so it works fine. 

Dire warnings for using auto-rudder do apply to the FBW A320NX I tried it initially and it was a nightmare!  No issues w/ it in the CRJ or any default plane, but again don't really need it despite having rudder linked to aileron.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

1 hour ago, Noel said:

Despite the dire warnings re auto-rudder, I used it for a while in the PMDG 738 and its effects are really modest.  I don't use it anymore and have noticed really no significant difference in the PMDG 738, and in the FBW A320NX it's perfect for my needs as well. I have no interest in pedals so I use an old Cessna Trim Wheel for nose-wheel/ground steering, and link rudder axis to my aileron axis.  I land in crosswinds and landings are scored via APL and in terms of descent rate and G-forces I'm doing well in that scenario w/ good control of the aircraft so don't need anything more than that.  Because I have no brake pedals, and because it's nice to have an axis I use the same axis on the TM Boeing TQ that I assigned for spoilers.  I also use the left trigger on the Boeing yoke for braking, but it's on/off so can't control rate of braking as well with it.  Arming spoilers doesn't create an issue, and ground braking up at altitudes where spoilers get used doesn't conflict, so it works fine. 

Dire warnings for using auto-rudder do apply to the FBW A320NX I tried it initially and it was a nightmare!  No issues w/ it in the CRJ or any default plane, but again don't really need it despite having rudder linked to aileron.

I don't understand how  one  can make a good crosswind landing without rudder pedals, and coupling the ailerons to the rudder. Do that in a real aircraft, and  better have a relative  that is an aircraft mechanic and is willing to fix your aircraft every time it gets dinged. . 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

In Aerowinx PSX Hardy has given the possibility to use the aileron axis alone as aileron (inflight) and tiller (while all wheels in contact with ground) for those users without an available axis to assign to tiller.

This could be an interesting alternative.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AviTABs...

Main flight simulator: Finally MSFS 2020 ! Best sim ever, all summed up... Have to agree...

18 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

I don't understand how  one  can make a good crosswind landing without rudder pedals, and coupling the ailerons to the rudder. Do that in a real aircraft, and  better have a relative  that is an aircraft mechanic

And that's just it Bob:  this isn't a real airplane and can land fine in x-winds.

Noel

1 minute ago, Noel said:

And that's just it Bob:  this isn't a real airplane and can land fine in x-winds.

If I flew with that attitude, I would probably just get a Train simulator. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

If I flew with that attitude, I would probably just get a Train simulator. 

Good thing I'm not you 😉😅

Noel