Sign in to follow this  
DadJokeCinema

Will you buy Acceleration?

>Can't we just get rid of any threads that relate to this stupid 'arcade-style' add-on and discuss things that actually relate to flight simulation?Why is it so hard for some to see that realism and low level high speed flight are not mutually exclusive? Just because it isn't an airliner or cessna, doesn't mean that it doesn't fly. If it flies then it should have a welcome home in Flight Simulator. Man I thought we just had this discussion a week ago. Sigh...Oh well, at least some hardcore airliner lovers give me no end of material to poke fun at in my FSX movies. ;)Bring it on ACES, let's have that working carrier. If runways can't be sloped, at least they can move around at 30 knots haha.-Mike

Mike Johnson - Lotus Simulations

Hi :-)Quite a gap between the different parties here.The Acceleration package doesen't interest me that much as seeing MS finishing FSX. By that I mean cleaning up the small glitches on the various models in regards to fuselage holes and lights.Furthermore, I think most agree upon having better performances, in spite of SP1 effort. E.g. bloom-effect is still a mystery to me, how on earth was MS able to develop such a feature when even todays top-gaming rigs cant make the wheels spin properly when its enabled!This is a PR stunt to maintain the focus on FSX, accidentally it catches the interest of some - maybe many, and I respect that still while being a 747-desktop-cockpit-bells-and-whistles-nerd ;-)cheers!Scandi426Oslo, Norway

I thought the acceleration pack was coming out in November with the dx10 patch?________________________________________________________________________________________________Intel D975XBX2 'Bad Axe 2' | Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.20Ghz | 2 GB Super Talent DDR2 800 | Big Typhoon VX | eVGA 8800GTS @ 565/900 | Seagate 2x320GB SATA RAID-0 | OCZ GameXStream 700W | Creative X-Fi | Silverstone TJ-09BW | Matrox Triplehead Setup

No I will not buy it. I have no interest in any of its functions.Regards,N3HKNA PC, an LCD, speakers, CH yoke

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

I will probably get it. What for? The EH-101 Merlin and the ability to sling loads under helicopters and use rescue hoists (I think I read that last part somewhere). I couldn't care less about the air racing but microsoft really got it right by finally adding a "heavy" helicopter.:-hah :-hah :-hah :-hah Come to think of it, more of any type of helicopter would be nice.:D

>>LMAO, Ian.>>>>Hope the wifey isn't an AVSIM fan ... or you may find>yourself>>disloging your joystick from a very unjoyful place.>>>>Heh.:( >>>I was telling my girlfriend about the Level D sim and>everything that goes into setting up a long flight and how>amazing the detail level is and her reply was "that sounds>really really boring".>>Then again, she stared at me flying one of the pylon missions>in FSX until motion sickness made her fall over.>>So I guess to each their own.Then the great compromise is to do the Pylon mission with the Lvl D 767.:)Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Guest smokeypilot

>Furthermore, I think most agree upon having better>performances, in spite of SP1 effort. E.g. bloom-effect is>still a mystery to me, how on earth was MS able to develop>such a feature when even todays top-gaming rigs cant make the>wheels spin properly when its enabled!Currently the bloom effect is a huge fps killer because it needs lot of expensive CPU time. Hopefully with DirectX10 the graphics card will be able to handle the bloom effect so it is not such a fps killer anymore.

>Oh man, Owen. That was amazing. When they intro'd the>ultralight, I just about spit my coffee all over my desk.Hahaha - my favorite part is the Valkyrie's exploits at Mach 2, especially finally making it back to SF at the end. ;) Alphasim should pay this guy for some promotion of that bird.Owen

>>Oh man, Owen. That was amazing. When they intro'd the>>ultralight, I just about spit my coffee all over my desk.>>Hahaha - my favorite part is the Valkyrie's exploits at Mach>2, especially finally making it back to SF at the end. ;)>Alphasim should pay this guy for some promotion of that bird.>>Owen>Glad you liked it guys, took us about a month to make. :) The previous threads here griping about about the Acceleration pack were the inspiration for it. I felt I should respond in the best way I could, and hopefully bring some humour back to the situation. ;)Cheers,Mike

Mike Johnson - Lotus Simulations

Guest christianholmes

>No. >>And what's more, I don't come on this forum to talk about>stupid arcade games. Can't we just get rid of any threads>that relate to this stupid 'arcade-style' add-on and discuss>things that actually relate to flight simulation?>>This add-on is a shameful marketing gimmick to attract the>younger generation and make more $$$. Nothing more, nothing>less. And what's more, I'm disappointed that MS feel the need>to release something like this.>>What a joke. >> What a crazy concept- Try to increase the market appeal for FS by offering an ADD-ON that might appeal to the masses rather than change the core of FS to cater to them. As much as you spend on FS, most people don't- and the entire FS add-on industry is DWARFED by the amount of dollars teenagers spend on video games.It's brilliant actually- increase the appeal without changing the core product.You don't have to buy it, but maybe some kid who likes to use his dad's computer will get into FS because of it.Also, I dare you to climb into a P-51 Mustang 100 feet over the ground at 400mph and call it a game :)

>If I have to pay for .... I prefer to pay for a FSX SP2 or SP3>with improved (and garantied) scenery, textures, ATC, multiple>monitor .... performances.I'm not quite sure I understand this statement, since we also have a SP2 coming out and you DON'T have to pay for it, and for those who aren't interested in the addon, I don't believe MS has found a way to force folks to actually buy our products, yet :->And for those with a historical bent, as in cars, so in airplanes, most of the early advances made in each were related to designing racing vehicles.And its not just Reno style racing, but also Red Bull style gate racing and navaid based cross country racing (including a sailplane course). And since the racing engine is based on extensions to the mission system, 3rd parties will be able to create their own race courses (both single player and multiplayer). And its not like we have dumbed down any of the flight characteristics of the system, so you have to actually be able to fly the airplace in order to race well (I can barely make it around most courses twice before doing something to either get major time penalties or disqualified completely :-> ) so I'm not sure where this "arcade" issue is coming from (if it was arcady, then I'm sure I could complete the races :-> ).

>I thought the acceleration pack was coming out in November>with the dx10 patch?It is (well, roughly in that timeframe anyway, I'm not sure we've committed to a specific month publicly yet :-> ), the event in Reno is just the Public Launch for the product (since air racing is such a large part of the addon, made since to have the launch event at the Reno Air Races).