Sign in to follow this  
DadJokeCinema

Will you buy Acceleration?

Nick wrote:>I know what 'arcade' means thanks.No you don't. You're confusing subject matter with accuracy of representation. It is possible to have a highly-detailed simulation of an activity that you personally don't happen to like.>I'm talking about air racing in FSX. Head-to head racing,>which makes it seem like an arcade racing game. >I think the emphasis with air racing is more about the>*racing* and not the *flying*! That's why I feel it is not>suitable in a *flight* simulator.If you read the previous comments by the person who has actually tried the expansion, it sounds like racing successfully will be very challenging. Much more involved than what is usually referred to as "an arcade racing game", and much closer to what is usually referred to a "sim". Maybe it's not the sort of flying you're interested in, but that doesn't automatically make it "arcade".

>Haha, thanks Maxy and Eric. Yeah, I felt it was time to stand>up for the low and fast crowd and have a little fun at the>expense of the 'wingviewers'. They had it coming haha, and>maybe some will get my point. ;) Acceleration isn't taking>anything away from anyone, it's just rounding the product out,>and it's great to see.>>And yup, I have some other stuff in the works. hehe.>Well I for one didn't laugh at your vid, I was falling out of my chair onto the floor in awe.Great job.What kind of rig did you record that on?RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

>This is absolutely absurd. "One can argue?" Can argue? If>they're not flying what are they doing, pushing airplanes on>the ground? What?!? I'm simply saying having air racing in FSX makes it seem more like some arcade racing game. If it doesn't seem like that to you, then that's ok with me. Honestly. >If it was Microsoft Driving Simulator X, would you be>seriously arguing that it should only be commuting on the>Interstate? No way. Being used to driving on the left here in Britain I'd probably keep ploughing head on into oncoming traffic :-lol >>I don't like helicopters and have absolutely no interest in>them. I would never say there shouldn't be helicopters in the>FSX and then attempt to construct some flimsy reason why they>shouldn't. Then maybe you should contruct a good reason why they shouldn't be in FSX then. >You evidentally have no interest in air racingThere are actually *some* people who don't. Would you believe it eh?! And yes, I know, that may obviously come as a shock to you...:-roll. >...and have then come up with some absurd reason (its not "flying">despite clear evidence that it is, in fact, flying) why>something should not be included.I never said it's not flying though. I'm talking about there becoming more of an *emphasis* on racing. Is that so 'absurd'?!:-roll

Thanks Rhett. Did it on a core2 6600, with a hefty overclock and pretty much every tweak known to man haha. Cpu was wheezing by the end of it. ;)>Then maybe you should contruct a good reason why they shouldn't be in FSX then. I hope you're simply being facetious there Nick because otherwise I don't get it. I've never liked airliners, probably never will. I would honestly rather watch golf on TV than fly one in flightsim, and I can't stand golf haha. However I would never for a moment say that they shouldn't be in flight simulator. Racing is a part of aviation, just as airliners are, I think it belongs as well. So do helos, blimps, balloons, ultralights, gyrocopters... and better yet, birds. :) A remote controlled budgie? Now that's flight simulation at its best.

Mike Johnson - Lotus Simulations

>Nick wrote:>>I know what 'arcade' means thanks.>>No you don't. You're confusing subject matter with accuracy of>representation. >lol Imagine being in an argument with your mates in the pub and one of them turns round to you and says "well actually I think you're confusing subject matter with accuracy of representation..." :-lolImagine the embarrassed silence, and then him getting up and announcing 'I'll get me coat then', before sloping off through the pub doors *alone* into the night :-lol He makes such an intelligent *looking* statement in the first part and then spoils it completely by following up with something as incredibly obvious and almost moronic such as:'It is possible to have a highly-detailed simulation of an activity that you personally don't happen to like'Talk about an anticlimax! :-lol :-lol :-lol

>Nick, just a few questions...>>A) Are you a real world pilot or student pilot?>>B)If yes, how can you say the piloting skills or racing>aircraft are unrealistic?>>C)If not, how can you say the piloting skills or racing>aircraft are unrealistic?>>As a real world pilot, just standing next to a parked racing>aircraft gives me a real appreciation of what these aircraft>and pilots actually do:-)>>>A) I'm neither.C) Never said racing aircraft was unrealistic Ron. My point is that I'm worried that what I would regard as a simulation now seems to be gradually turning into a *game*. With winners, losers, points awarded etc etc. (and that goes not only for air racing, but with the whole 'missions' thing as well). And *I* prefer to think of FS as a simulation, like it has been for the last few decades (regardless of what Ian's wife thinks :-lol.) Yet that doesn't make me 'elitist' as such. At least I don't think it does. What's more, arcade games *can* be realistic. I personally *know* what 'arcade' means'. Brian missed my point. Mr. Pompous above also missed my point. You took on board Brian's personal interpretation of the word 'arcade' to formulate your questions about me apparently seeing air racing in a sim as 'unrealistic'. Which I don't. I implied that having air racing is turning the sim into a *game*. And you may know personally what 'arcade' means', who knows? You know what Ron? I don't care anymore. I'm going to the pub to discuss confusing subject matter with accuracy of representation... so see you all back here in 10 minutes :-lol

Nick, we will not argue the semantics of whether you could be quoted as saying "air racing is unrealistic" or by implication..."air racing is arcade like".We would suggest that you need not... "worry that what I would regard as a simulation now seems to be gradually turning into a *game*. With winners, losers, points awarded etc etc. (and that goes not only for air racing, but with the whole 'missions' thing as well)."Fact of the matter is that the Expansion Pack for FSX with air racing and missions will be released to the market. As always, the market will decide whether it is worthwhile for Aces to release the product with out regard to your and other detractors opinion:-)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Guest fsxmissionguy

By the way ... the community has patiently been waiting for Microsoft Mallard for what, 6 years now???Can you guys get off the stick on this one!!!

>Haha, thanks Maxy and Eric.>>And yup, I have some other stuff in the works. hehe.>>Cheers,>MikeWow, I know it's off-topic, but let me add my applause for your Vectors vid! Very nicely done, great pacing to include yet another aircraft just as things seemed to be settling down. Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

>>Nick wrote:>>>I know what 'arcade' means thanks.>>>>No you don't. You're confusing subject matter with accuracy>of>>representation. >>>>lol Imagine being in an argument with your mates in the pub>and one of them turns round to you and says "well actually I>think you're confusing subject matter with accuracy of>representation..." :-lol>>Imagine the embarrassed silence, and then him getting up and>announcing 'I'll get me coat then', before sloping off through>the pub doors *alone* into the night :-lol >>He makes such an intelligent *looking* statement in the first>part and then spoils it completely by following up with>something as incredibly obvious and almost moronic such as:>>'It is possible to have a highly-detailed simulation of an>activity that you personally don't happen to like'>>Talk about an anticlimax! :-lol :-lol :-lol >Ah yes, resorting to personal attacks and avoiding the actual discussion -- the hallmarks of those who become embarrassed when their errors are pointed out.Given the tone of your other posts, I suspected that it would be pointless to try discuss it with you, and you've proven me right.Feel free to try to bluster your way out, I'll just be ignoring you.

>>Nick, just a few questions...>>>>A) Are you a real world pilot or student pilot?>>>>B)If yes, how can you say the piloting skills or racing>>aircraft are unrealistic?>>>>C)If not, how can you say the piloting skills or racing>>aircraft are unrealistic?>>>>As a real world pilot, just standing next to a parked racing>>aircraft gives me a real appreciation of what these aircraft>>and pilots actually do:-)>>>>>>>>A) I'm neither.>>C) Never said racing aircraft was unrealistic Ron. My point>is that I'm worried that what I would regard as a simulation>now seems to be gradually turning into a *game*. With>winners, losers, points awarded etc etc. (and that goes not>only for air racing, but with the whole 'missions' thing as>well). And *I* prefer to think of FS as a simulation, like it>has been for the last few decades (regardless of what Ian's>wife thinks :-lol.) Yet that doesn't make me 'elitist' as>such. At least I don't think it does. >>What's more, arcade games *can* be realistic. I personally>*know* what 'arcade' means'. Brian missed my point. Mr.>Pompous above also missed my point. You took on board Brian's>personal interpretation of the word 'arcade' to formulate your>questions about me apparently seeing air racing in a sim as>'unrealistic'. Which I don't. I implied that having air>racing is turning the sim into a *game*. And you may know>personally what 'arcade' means', who knows? You know what Ron?>I don't care anymore. I'm going to the pub to discuss>confusing subject matter with accuracy of representation... >>so see you all back here in 10 minutes> >:-lol I'm really tempted to lock this thread if we can't talk without resorting to insults.

Guest repaid22

It all depends on the promises that the FSX Direct X 10 patch will keep.

Amen to that brother!! Not that anyone will notice so back in this thread.Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."