Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

Left eye surgery very successful!

On 2/21/2023 at 1:35 PM, Ray Proudfoot said:

I’ve decided on a monofocal lens to keep things simple. Glasses will still be required for astigmatism and correction. The other eye will need doing in a year or two.

There are currently at least four types of IOL* available. The eye doctor discussed these with me and we chose "Toric IOL" primarily because it could also correct around 98% of my astigmatism. I suspect that I will only require glasses for reading, as my left eye is now 20/25 vision.

The Veterans Administration pays 100% of the costs of the procedure, I have zero co-pay. That's a good thing, since it is around $3000 per eye here!

* Intra-Occular Lens

• Like 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

March 14 starts the process for me with a visit to the optometrist. for now, my eyes somewhat burn where i have to lie down, and wind up sleeping. There are times waking up in the morning i can't see 1 foot in front of me.Within 2 minutes i can see.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, n4gix said:

There are currently at least four types of IOL* available. The eye doctor discussed these with me and we chose "Toric IOL" primarily because it could also correct around 98% of my astigmatism.

I’ve yet to have my consultation but I’m sure we’ll have a similar discussion. I suspect that NHS patients may have fewer options.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I wish you the best Ray regarding your eyes. I fear  the surgeon  saying i can't because of US medicare,  even  with my copay being some good dollars. Not good for this US chap on fixed income. I will post the outcome within time.

Edited by Paul Deluca
  • Upvote 1

@Paul Deluca, thanks. I know it’s a simple operation but because it’s your eyes I’m somewhat apprehensive. Nothing is more important than eyesight.

Good luck too with your consultation. Your situation sounds different to mine so I hope the problem is identified and fixed without it being too painful financially. 👍

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I just checked about my situation. US medicare covers 80% i pay the rest.  Doctors here can be  [you would put me on holiday for how i really feel with my sharp tongue $@&&###] LOL I have had  rust in my eyes twice from working underneath my truck  where the surgeon uses a micro tool like a Dremel  to scrape the cornea  The anesthetic is real good.

Edited by Paul Deluca

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I’ve yet to have my consultation but I’m sure we’ll have a similar discussion. I suspect that NHS patients may have fewer options.

Attending a private hospital paid for by the NHS, does not make you a private patient, it makes you an NHS patient.
Paying yourself for the procedure makes you a private patient.
If you think that there is a whole separate set of medical practitioners that only operate on "private patients" then you are mistaken.
in fact, if you pay, you are quite likely to see the same person that you would see at an NHS hospital, only with less time to wait.

For my eyes, I am an NHS patient, having paid National Insurance for all of my working life.
I have had both eyes done by the NHS, as an NHS patient, at an NHS hospital and the options available and quality
of treatment were and still are, second to none.

Hearing aids, however, are a postcode lottery and unfortunately, in my postcode, there are no winners.
Therefore I have just paid £3295, as a private patient, for a pair of top quality hearing aids, whereas someone in a nearby
postcode could very likely have got them through the NHS for nothing.
In the winning postcode areas, the NHS will pay for the patient to go to Specsavers and be supplied with hearing
aids. They are not private patients either.

Edited by Reader

12 minutes ago, Paul Deluca said:

I just checked about my situation. US medicare covers 80% i pay the rest.  Doctors here can be  [you would put me on holiday for how i really feel with my sharp tongue $@&&###] LOL I have had  rust in my eyes twice from working underneath my truck  where the surgeon uses a micro tool like a Dremel  to scrape the cornea  The anesthetic is real good.

20% sounds reasonable. Eye goggles cost a few dollars. 😉

1 minute ago, Reader said:

Attending a private hospital paid for by the NHS, does not make you a private patient, it makes you an NHS patient.
Paying yourself for the procedure makes you a private patient.

Yes, I’m aware of that. I did consider going private as you’re seen in just a few weeks. NHS can take up to 6 weeks for the consultation and another 6 weeks for the op. My situation isn’t urgent so happy to wait and save 2700GBP.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I wore a full face shield afterwards Ray  I  can't work like that anymore .  I let a repair shop do it.

19 minutes ago, Paul Deluca said:

I wore a full face shield afterwards Ray  I  can't work like that anymore .  I let a repair shop do it.

Very wise. 👍

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

3 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@Paul Deluca, thanks. I know it’s a simple operation but because it’s your eyes I’m somewhat apprehensive. Nothing is more important than eyesight.

Good luck too with your consultation. Your situation sounds different to mine so I hope the problem is identified and fixed without it being too painful financially. 👍

I was quite scared as well, that is why I had them done two months apart. With the first one, when I woke up at home the next day after the op., I quickly peeped out from under the eye-patch and discovered I couldn't see a thing. I phoned the surgeon and he said it is just the fluid in the eyeball (forget its name) and it will clear by itself. Phew, it did. The second one was much easier to handle.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

14 minutes ago, IanHarrison said:

I was quite scared as well, that is why I had them done two months apart. With the first one, when I woke up at home the next day after the op., I quickly peeped out from under the eye-patch and discovered I couldn't see a thing. I phoned the surgeon and he said it is just the fluid in the eyeball (forget its name) and it will clear by itself. Phew, it did. The second one was much easier to handle.

You would have thought the surgeon would have warned you about that. Must have been frightening. All’s well that ends well. 👍

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

4 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I know it’s a simple operation but because it’s your eyes I’m somewhat apprehensive. Nothing is more important than eyesight.

There are two things diabetics in particular have to be concerned about; eyes and feet. I'd rather loose use of my feet than my eyes! That is why no reputable surgeon will operate on both eyes at the same time.

I only remember a few brief moments of light in my left eye as the surgeon installed the IOL device in my eye and adjusted the position of the new lens. Aside from having a slight itch where the tiny (2mm) incision was made, the whole procedure was quick and painless. 

Post operation, my only problem has been managing to get the drops in my eye and not on my cheek!

• Like 1

Fr. Bill    

5 hours ago, n4gix said:

Post operation, my only problem has been managing to get the drops in my eye and not on my cheek!

I had/have the same issue. If I sneak them in the corner, I'm ok but if I try to drop the on the eye - I close the eye and get the drops all over my face. Also why I could never wear contacts.

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Surgery on the right eye is scheduled for March 16th @ 0600. Exam yesterday of the left eye showed excellent results.

• Like 2

Fr. Bill