Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

I wonder how many are using the HUD with the PMDG

21 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

I used that video, and it explained really well how to use it. 

Where can I found that PDMG manual that video is referring to  ?

4 minutes ago, solito said:

Where can I found that PDMG manual that video is referring to  ?

There is no manual that is available now, because Boeing apparently doesn't allow it. Do a google search on the HUD. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

All this talk of using the HUD in the PMDG 737...

I own both the 737-700 and the 737-900.  I have no idea how to implement it.  I scrutinized the FMS PMDG settings and there is no reference to HUD.

9 minutes ago, speil said:

All this talk of using the HUD in the PMDG 737...

I own both the 737-700 and the 737-900.  I have no idea how to implement it.  I scrutinized the FMS PMDG settings and there is no reference to HUD.

Page 12/16 in Equipment Options  737 Introduction manual.  ( Instruments. ) 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

On 2/25/2023 at 11:43 AM, Bobsk8 said:

I used this years ago with the Q400 ( I think), and started using it now in the 737. Really makes landings great.  

qQYsces.png

I posted this photo on the MSFS Facebook page two days ago.  I just looked, and there are almost 200 likes for this photo. Many are asking how to get this on their 737, apparently people that have the 737 didn't even klnow it had a HUD or how to activate it. 

On 2/25/2023 at 7:23 PM, Bobsk8 said:

The HUD is 8 times more sensitive than the PFD. 

Hey Bob! That's good to know. For me personally, ultimately, it doesn't really matter. I can handle approaches just fine without the HUD. I'm not constantly monitoring my instruments where that degree of sensitivity matters to me. I fly much more based on feel. Pilots have been able to handle approaches without them for decades. Also, the HUD is not generally standard with the virtual airline I do most of my flying for and try to fly with roughly the same kind of configuration. Note that I am not saying it's not useful. If you use it, great! I just find it more of a distraction for me than anything else.

1 hour ago, Kevin_28 said:

Hey Bob! That's good to know. For me personally, ultimately, it doesn't really matter. I can handle approaches just fine without the HUD. I'm not constantly monitoring my instruments where that degree of sensitivity matters to me. I fly much more based on feel. Pilots have been able to handle approaches without them for decades. Also, the HUD is not generally standard with the virtual airline I do most of my flying for and try to fly with roughly the same kind of configuration. Note that I am not saying it's not useful. If you use it, great! I just find it more of a distraction for me than anything else.

I just like learning new technology, that's what makes aviation interesting. I think the airlines agree about the usefulness of HUDs, , it has been years since Delta Airlines has ordered HUDs on all their new aircraft. I am sure other airlines have followed suit like American Airlines,  United Airlines, Emirates, Qantas, and Southwest. The Boeing 787 comes with a HUD as standard equipment.  You know they are not spending all the money to install this equipment, unless they think it is worth it. 

Edited by Bobsk8

I’ve not seen anyone mention this yet, but I like the HUD not only for landings but also for takeoffs. For the same reason of course -  because the FD circle on the HUD is more sensitive and easier to follow than the FD markings on the PFD. And it’s much nicer to stay on course looking up through the glare shield than by staring down at the PFD. Helps the situational awareness greatly, facilitates hand flying on the departure until I’m ready to activate the autopilot. Does anyone else use the HUD on takeoff? Try it!

Rich

• Like 1

On 2/26/2023 at 12:23 PM, Bobsk8 said:

There is no manual that is available now, because Boeing apparently doesn't allow it. Do a google search on the HUD. 

So that manual was for FSX ?, if so, I think it shoud be available somewhere.

I'd like to use it, but haven't yet.  It might take some getting used to, but I can definitely imagine the advantages in soupy weather.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

This gives a good overview of HGS

HGS-3500 White-Paper.pdf

Bruce

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

The HUD is great, but for specific tasks.  Beyond those tasks, it can be a distraction that can turn it into more of a negative than a positive.  

In reality, the temptation - especially for folks who are new to it - is to try to use it for everything, especially when hand flying.  It's very easy to focus only on keeping the guidance cue in the flight path vector, to the exclusion of the rest of your scan.  If the HUD is in primary, you've got most of your PFD up there, but if you don't keep your scan going you're giving up the entirety of your ND - and there's very useful stuff on there for SA, predicting when to roll in and out of turns etc.  You can fly better and more smoothly on the PFD / ND scan for maneuvering flight, than you can with the HUD alone.  Of course, once you get good at incorporating the HUD as just another part of your overall scan, then it's great... But that takes conscious effort.  I still find myself getting sucked into it sometimes, usually when I'm tired..  it's so easy to let those eyes stop moving, and just zombie out in the HUD.

Where it shines of course is during takeoffs and landings (with a caveat), ESPECIALLY in low vis.  That's really what it's designed for of course; to provide instrument information to the pilot during the transition to or from flying visually.  The tail strikes awareness it provides in the long body 73s is nice as well.  

The caveat is for landing.  The AIII mode is fantastic in low vis and if you stay in the cues and do as you're told, you get a pretty nice touchdown.  But normally you're only using AIII in low vis; you especially do not want to use it on a landing distance critical runway.  My favorite mode for anything from visuals to cat 1 mins is IMC; there's less distracting symbology in the flare if you're landing visually vs blindly following AIII.  And THIS is where the HUD can be a negative: it takes a conscious effort to develop the ability to stop flying the HUD guidance and look through it at the runway when landing.  Do it too soon and you're giving up instrument info you'd have from a normal PFD / outside scan.  Do it too late, and you'll miss your opportunity to build the mental model of the runway environment that you need to flare properly.

Basically, snap out of the HUD too early for landing and you'll crash it on.  Snap out of the HUD too late for landing (excepting AIII in low vis) and you'll crash it on.

But if you put the effort into making it just another tool in your toolbox, and you know when and how to use it and when not to, you'll come to love it. 

I mean all this in real life but it mostly applies to the sim as well.  It is really interesting to see the same sorts of traps get you in the sim haha.  And PMDG has done a really amazing job of modeling their HUD; it's missing a few pieces of symbology that have been added in the last few years but mostly it's good.  People still gripe about the AIII edge lines not always lining up with the runway, but heck, they don't in real life either ;).  They're just there to help give you a picture of where the ground plane is; they aren't there to line up with.  Just stay in the flight guidance / flare cue for that.

Here's some extra credit: a northern lights pic through the HUD.  ;)

7xbW8P4d_t.jpg

• Like 2

Andrew Crowley

I like doing it with visual approaches and a strong crosswind. Just focus on keeping the FD circle on the runway the whole time even though the nose is pointed away from it. Makes for a good time.

Eric 

16 hours ago, rlashier said:

Does anyone else use the HUD on takeoff?

I sure do.

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2