Sign in to follow this  
mistercoffee1

Water Fixes / Water Exclusions broken in Beta SU12

It appears that the SDK Water Exclusion Polygons (used to exclude unwanted water) no longer function in Beta SU12.

For anyone who uses my Water Fix files throughout the US (Flightsim.to), or anyone else's, these will cease to function unless addressed by the Core Developers before the beta period closes.

Please vote here to bring attention:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/is-the-broken-water-exclusion-polygons-planned-to-be-fixed-before-su12-goes-out-of-beta/580505

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/water-exclusion-polygons-stopped-working-in-1-31-18-0-and-are-still-broken-in-1-31-22-0/577738

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Ouch. I can't look. 🙄

ASUS MAXIMUS IX CODE Z270, i7-7700K OC@4.8, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, VKBSim Gladiator joystick, CH Pro pedals, Razer Orbweaver Chroma Gaming Keypad, Samsung SSD 850 Pro 512GB (main drive/sim drive), WD Black 1TB HDD

PLease let us know if this problem makes it into stable.  I use quite a few of your water fixes and am wondering if they should be removed.

3 hours ago, solwell1 said:

PLease let us know if this problem makes it into stable.

Unfortunately it did.

On 3/15/2023 at 6:15 PM, mistercoffee1 said:

It appears that the SDK Water Exclusion Polygons (used to exclude unwanted water) no longer function in Beta SU12.

For anyone who uses my Water Fix files throughout the US (Flightsim.to), or anyone else's, these will cease to function unless addressed by the Core Developers before the beta period closes.

Please vote here to bring attention:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/is-the-broken-water-exclusion-polygons-planned-to-be-fixed-before-su12-goes-out-of-beta/580505

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/water-exclusion-polygons-stopped-working-in-1-31-18-0-and-are-still-broken-in-1-31-22-0/577738

I have many of your US water fixes active. Do you recommend to disable all of them or can I just leave them as they are until Asobo fixes it.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

Thanks for bringing light on this issue. Did vote. Hope it gets fix. My strategy, for one of my freeware addon impacted, is to wait Microsoft/Asobo fixed it. I don't know of a workaround.

Edited by vbazillio
  • Like 3

Vincent B.

Check my MSFS sceneries : https://flightsim.to/profile/vbazillio

Unfortunately this issue is yet another prime example of extremely poor communication during the beta periods, they made a change to something (Fixed some water polygon issues as per patch notes) which in essence has either not worked or broken something else here.

Just like the VR bug, which was also reported very early on, they had weeks to sort these issues out but choose for whatever reason to not fix them, Why?

If it was a change for the good, why not communicate the reason to the modders/community?

If it's a bug, why not fix it during beta which is one point of having a Beta in the first place?

They really do let themselves down after working so hard in other areas, again it all boils down to a severe lack of Quality Control which over two years on they still have not got a clue about.

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

Leaving the water fixes installed in the Community folder should not cause any issues.  They simply fail to exclude water from the polygons that I’ve outlined.

But there may be areas where I’ve excluded trees/foliage or replaced them with proper palm trees - those should still work.

• Like 3

Have you seen this thread https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/water-exclusion-polygons-stopped-working-in-1-31-18-0-and-are-still-broken-in-1-31-22-0/577738/68 ? With it, setting exclusion polygons from WATER or RIVER to OCEAN and rebuilding the scenery seems to be a workaround for my small scenery (Le Touquet/LFAT).

cxh86h8.jpeg

PS : thanks to Leonido that pointed me to this forum thread.

Edited by vbazillio
  • Like 1

Vincent B.

Check my MSFS sceneries : https://flightsim.to/profile/vbazillio

I think ocean water has different properties when it comes to wind - the waves and foam are much larger. And if I recall correctly also adds waves to the shoreline. This looks strange when used for smaller water bodies. 

43 minutes ago, DunRingill said:

I think ocean water has different properties when it comes to wind - the waves and foam are much larger.

It should be ok, since Vincent is excluding ocean, rather than adding it. Having said that, my Australian Salt Lakes Fix has 10,000+ exclusion polygons, and I'd hat to have to verify each of them, even if I did a search and replace in the xml file.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Aha, ok! In my sceneries I am excluding lake water (wich doesn't work at the moment for me neither) so I guess I have to wait for a hotfix which I really hope arrives soon 🙂

It's exactly this type of issue or regression which makes me wish that Asobo would issue a hotfix or smaller incremental "cleanup" fixes in between the scheduled SU's.  I hate waiting months for regressions to be turned around, but maybe more importantly, it's only fair to the hard working freeware developers like @mistercoffee1 and @vbazillio  doing everything they can to help improve the sim.  It would send a message of true partnership. 

I would say the VR toolbar bug would also most definitely be a candidate for inclusion.

• Like 3

Regards, Kendall

1 hour ago, irocx said:

It's exactly this type of issue or regression which makes me wish that Asobo would issue a hotfix or smaller incremental "cleanup" fixes in between the scheduled SU's.  I hate waiting months for regressions to be turned around, but maybe more importantly, it's only fair to the hard working freeware developers like @mistercoffee1 and @vbazillio  doing everything they can to help improve the sim.  It would send a message of true partnership. 

I would say the VR toolbar bug would also most definitely be a candidate for inclusion.

I completely agree but do they not sometimes push hot fixes? I'm sure i've seen some come through before.

I'd imagine that for something like this which impacts a vast number of paid add-on scenery it would warrant a hot fix.