Sign in to follow this  
Wise87

Great FPS but poor panning, New Build

Just finished installing MSFS2020 on my 13900K/4090 on the latest Windows 11 Pro. The sim is very fast, frames are outstanding, 120+ but my panning is not very smooth. It's not a stutter, just not smooth. When I was using the 4090 on my 10900K with Windows 10 my panning was butter smooth. I've tried all the sync settings and nothing helps. I wondwer if this is a Windows 11 22H2 issue. Any suggestions? 

Edited by Wise87

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

Same CPU/GPU setup here.

I have Vsync enabled in the Nvidia CP, disabled it ingame. Using DLSS or TAA with FG on gives me straight 60 FPS insim and its ansolutely smooth. Monitor set to 60Hz. 4k all settings on ultra.

• Like 1

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

I have a 5800x3d and 4090 and I'm getting the same panning issues on top of stutters.  No idea what's causing it because my frames are pretty good.  Tried everything with vsync and limiting FPS but no good.  I'm going to try removing all addons to see if I can smooth it out because even when lowering settings I still have both issues.  Benchmarks are close to others with the same hardware so it shouldn't be a hardware issue.  I use DX12 since it's needed for frame generation so maybe there's an issue there.  

It did get noticeably worse after the latest beta so maybe it's something with that.  But even before while it was better the stutters were still noticeable and the panning was jerky.

Edited by sfgiants13

5800x3d Asus 4090 ROG Strix OC 2TB SSD 32GB Ram

4 minutes ago, G550flyer said:

Whats your specs to include MB and mem.

https://prnt.sc/hP689heqHxUJ

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

1 hour ago, G550flyer said:

Whats your specs to include MB and mem.

MSI X570 Gaming Edge, TeamGroup UD4 4000 DDR4-2400 32gig mem.

sp

Edited by Sky_Pilot071
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Wise87 said:

Just finished installing MSFS2020 on my 13900K/4090 on the latest Windows 11 Pro. The sim is very fast, frames are outstanding, 120+ but my panning is not very smooth. It's not a stutter, just not smooth. When I was using the 4090 on my 10900K with Windows 10 my panning was butter smooth. I've tried all the sync settings and nothing helps. I wondwer if this is a Windows 11 22H2 issue. Any suggestions? 

I initially suffered the same panning stutters with identical hardware. But the settings below now get me perfectly smooth fps and perfectly smooth panning. Please note I'm using a 4K 60Hz TV as my display. All out-of-sight Advanced Settings are Ultra. Also note that I'm using DX11 rather than DX12. This precludes using Nvidia Frame Generation, but if your goal is buttery smooth fps and panning on 4K Ultra, use the following settings.

NzqMAAx.png

• Like 2

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

1 hour ago, David Mills said:

I initially suffered the same panning stutters with identical hardware. But the settings below now get me perfectly smooth fps and perfectly smooth panning. Please note I'm using a 4K 60Hz TV as my display. All out-of-sight Advanced Settings are Ultra. Also note that I'm using DX11 rather than DX12. This precludes using Nvidia Frame Generation, but if your goal is buttery smooth fps and panning on 4K Ultra, use the following settings.

A bit surprising having a 4090 and not using FG.  Do you do anything in the NCP?

17 minutes ago, sfgiants13 said:

A bit surprising having a 4090 and not using FG.

This was my exact thought in my head before I saw your response...

Wouldn't be my recommendation. I'm getting 90-120 FPS with FG on with GSYNC and it's amazingly smooth.

• Like 1

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

You provide litte information about a) settings within the sim, b) settings within the nvidia control panel, c) which scenery, d) which aircraft, etc. 

You should also make a quick video to demonstrate the issue. 

• Like 1

I have a 3090, and unfortunately can't use FG. So is the next best thing is to enable DLSS and set that to the highest quality mode for better performance?

• Like 1

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

I don't use Nvidia Reflex Low Latency in-sim as I never tried it since learning very early that keeping Low Latency set to Ultra in NCP  was useful for smooth panning and I assumed it was probably the same thing, but that was a guess.  That and seemingly paradoxically off-screen terrrain pre-caching set to Ultra helps panning smooth.  I have very smooth panning.

• Like 2

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

40 minutes ago, sfgiants13 said:

A bit surprising having a 4090 and not using FG.  Do you do anything in the NCP?

No, I don't tweak the Nvidia control panel at all with the 4090. I used to tweak it heavily with my previous 1070. Because I use an "old fashion" 60Hz 4K TV as my primary display, fps higher than 60 tends to cause slight screen tearing. So I keep fps capped at "monitor refresh rate," which is 60. I get a perfectly fluid and stutter-free 60fps at 4K with all settings on Ultra. My computer and video card will easily go over 100 fps with Frame Generation on and everything set to 4K Ultra. But my current display can't perfectly stabilize the additional frames. I honestly don't know how the sim could look or perform much better than it already does for me now, even without Frame Generation. It's a little ironic that the only Nvidia series of cards that supports Frame Generation is also the series of cards that needs it least, due to its amazing speed. Whenever my current TV dies, I'll certainly buy one with Nvidia G-sync that can support variable refresh rates, and so I'll turn Frame Generation on.   

• Like 1

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

20 minutes ago, David Mills said:

No, I don't tweak the Nvidia control panel at all with the 4090. I used to tweak it heavily with my previous 1070. Because I use an "old fashion" 60Hz 4K TV as my primary display, fps higher than 60 tends to cause slight screen tearing. So I keep fps capped at "monitor refresh rate," which is 60. I get a perfectly fluid and stutter-free 60fps at 4K with all settings on Ultra. My computer and video card will easily go over 100 fps with Frame Generation on and everything set to 4K Ultra. But my current display can't perfectly stabilize the additional frames. I honestly don't know how the sim could look or perform much better than it already does for me now, even without Frame Generation. It's a little ironic that the only Nvidia series of cards that supports Frame Generation is also the series of cards that needs it least, due to its amazing speed. Whenever my current TV dies, I'll certainly buy one with Nvidia G-sync that can support variable refresh rates, and so I'll turn Frame Generation on.   

I use a 60hz tv as well. I’m going to switch back to dx11 and see if I can get it to smooth out. Even with great fps it’s just not smooth for me with or without vsync. Limiting the fps in ncp didn’t help either those stutters were still there. 

I remember when I first set everything up without FG I would get dips at heavier airports so it would cause stutters there as well. Do you still get 60fps even with addons like pmdg and bigger airports or are you a GA flyer mostly?