Sign in to follow this  
turbomax

Does Fixed Foveated Rendering really work in VR?

Fixed Foveated Rendering in VR - Does it really work?

3 year old video but this information is still intesting

and to compensate for 3 years old new, here some 6 days young news:

Apple VR/AR headset — everything we know so far

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/apple-vr-and-mixed-reality-headset-release-date-price-specs-and-leaks

Edited by turbomax

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

For me it does work Great! I am using it now for three or four months and haven't found a need to change my settings since then. I am using it with a G2 via OpenXR Toolkit, the default setting with the wide option.

• Upvote 1

VR in MSFS is a hard kick in the groin to your GPU that easily brings it to its knees. FFR is simply necessary groin protection that you can't afford not to use... 

Edited by JacquesBrel
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, JacquesBrel said:

VR in MSFS is a hard kick in the groin to your GPU that easily brings it to its knees. FFR is simply necessary groin protection that you can't afford not to use... 

ignore my post ,  just watched the video!

Edited by Bozdog

3080rtx  on a i7 12700k with 32 Gig ddr5. 2gig Ssd

Quest 2

Windows 11

The FFR implementation in the OpenXR toolkit does just fine with what it says on the tin, but unfortunately that somewhat fuzzed up periphery is very distracting for me.  Glad that some find it useful. 

Edited by TheFamilyMan

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

19 hours ago, TheFamilyMan said:

The FFR implementation in the OpenXR toolkit does just fine with what it says on the tin, but unfortunately that somewhat fuzzed up periphery is very distracting for me.  Glad that some find it useful. 

I experienced that with the FFR presets provided, but I find using a custom setting with the inner ring at least 70% eradicates the peripheral fuzziness. If you want to try my custom FFR settings, set Inner Ring Size 70%, Middle Resolution 1/4, Outer Ring Size 100%, Outer Resolution 1/16, Prefer Resolution Veritcal. If you still see blur on the periphery, increase Inner Ring Size until you don't.

• Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

I tested FFR with various settings but I dont like the artefact on peripheral. Especially with glass cockpit that I fly most of the time.

Pierre

P3D when its freezing in Quebec....well, that's most of the time...
C-GDXL based at CYQB for real flying when its warming up...

Yes, in current GPU benefit is very very small or it isnt here simply but poor quality on edges is very visible even on custom settings. I dont use it.

Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.
Yoyosimsbanner.gif
Win 10 64, i9 9900k, RTX 3090 24Gb, RAM32Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: HP Reverb G2