Sign in to follow this  
ptr1959w

I'm very interested in VR with MSFS 2020..Have a question

Guest Michael

I have the reverb g2 on a rtx 4080, and is very happy with it.

At 79, perhaps I should know better, but my Pico 4 is here and fully charged. Tomorrow I hope to start on the VR journey myself, but will wait on my prescription lenses before I try anything too far down the road.  🙂 BR.

M.

Very Best Wishes,

Dr T. Maurice Murphy

1 hour ago, JacquesBrel said:

Good to know, thanks.

I went VR and stayed there.

I hope my experiences and yours help others with some valuable insight into the world of VR. 

Who pi$$ed in your cornflakes?

49 minutes ago, Paladin said:

Tomorrow I hope to start on the VR journey myself, but will wait on my prescription lenses

good idea. just make sure to use "far sight" long distance lenses, not those for reading.

• Like 1

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

2 hours ago, FBW737 said:

I went VR and then went back

II went VR and then back and then back again to VR 😀

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

very nice.

If you currently run MSFS on your laptop, I imagine that to get playable FPS you're using fairly modest MSFS graphics settings on a 1080p display.  Consider that to run any sort of VR HMD at a playable FPS on your laptop you'll probably need to set nearly all your settings even lower, and use a low Render Scale value of say 60-70 or so.  Given these settings, running on a Reverb G2 will yield a somewhat fuzzy/blurry looking cockpit, e.g. unreadable gauges, but still you'll be sitting in the 3D cockpit looking out on a 3D immersive world.  Using a VR HMD with a lower res than a G2 will introduce a "screen door effect" that's superimposed on the already blurry looking cockpit, which plain and simply put looks awful and as its name implies.  Now if these limitations don't bother you in your quest for VR immersion, go for it...though don't be surprised if what you experience is what I've written, regardless of the VR HMD you purchase for your laptop.

Edited by TheFamilyMan

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

4 hours ago, turbomax said:

II went VR and then back and then back again to VR 😀

I got you beat! I went to VR then back to TrackIR then back to VR then back to TrackIR. I'll go back to VR when there is an affordable VR headset that beats my TrackIR experience. 😜

The 2D TiR vs. VR HMD conundrum:  Being a slave in heaven vs. a master in hell (in a manner of speaking 😄)

• Like 2

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

I also had to get back to 2D after my first VR headset. It was because my headset broke down.

At first I stopped using the sim(s) completely. I wanted to buy a Reverb G2, but unfortunately HP does not sell them anymore in France (and few stocks left in other European countries, but HP webstore does not ship out of its own country 😕 ). After a few weeks of thinking about what to buy, I was missing the sims too much and proceeded to try a few flights in 2D again. I did take off once. Then turned around, landed immediately and shut down the sim. It was simply unplayable, even with normal small planes. Helicopters had become a no-go.

It took me a few more days to decide on the best alternative to a Reverb, then I bought the Pico4 and now I can fly again 🙂. It's so good to be back in the cockpit.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2023 at 1:38 AM, ptr1959w said:

I heard that once you go VR, You never go back..:)

I do not understand how people have abandoned the movies in 3D, I almost don´t watch any film during the year but no more in 2D since then, always 3D since the beginnings in 2010 or so, they are so... flat, insipidus and unrealistic compared, never more please if possible.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, peloto said:

the movies in 3D

did you mean movies produced specifically in 3D or do you use a 2D to 3D up-converter? there is a new VR product, movie-specific glasses that Sebastian Ang from MRTV has reviewd 2 weeks ago while he visited Pimax in China.

• Upvote 1

very nice.

@turbomax only normal movies produced or with an official 3D version, and nowadays almost none.

Bigscreen too is going to have a good really small light weighted VR HMD only for films practically, but I would be interested only for the Simulators-games and for films all together, though those VR glasses are very interesting for people that only enjoy and want the Visor for movies, and the App Bigscreen is really good to watch movies.

Edited by peloto
  • Like 1

I'm still using a Samsung Odyssey+.  I have a Quest 2, which has higher resolution, but the colour is so much better with the Samsung Oled.  I was running on a 1080, but then upgraded to 3070 Ti.  Framerates with the 1080 were acceptable most of the time with appropriate settings.