Sign in to follow this  
frankla

How do you lean the engine in the Carenado Archer?

I have tried leaning the mixture so the engine would run rough and then to enrich it a little bit so it would run smoothly again.   The problem is that the engine never runs rough regardless of where I place the mixture control. (except when it is about to totally cut the fuel flow off).

Thank you in advance.

Edited by frankla
grammer

In real life, not sim life: Santa Clause to Archer pilots: "You've all been bad this year! No mixture control for you!"

Or, alternately, when there is zero wind, and the Cessna 152 and 172 keeps turning with hands off (i.e. the rudder is out of trim). The owner comes back and says to the local mechanic: "Don't change a thing"! And at the Cessna boardroom planning commission meeting, someone raises his hand, "Let's not put a rudder trim in our expensive GA aircraft" (loud applause all around the table). 

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

1 hour ago, frankla said:

I have tried leaning the mixture so the engine would run rough and then to enrich it a little bit so it would run smoothly again.   The problem is that the engine never runs rough regardless of where I place the mixture control. (except when it is about to totally cut the fuel flow off).

Thank you in advance.

Do you happen to have auto mixture enabled?  It should cutoff if you pull it far enough 

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Hi Ryan,

No.  It is disabled.  I want to lean the mixture not cut it off.  How do you lean the mixture for altitute?

Edited by frankla

I don't have the archer...  But depending on what altitude you are at I would say lean the mixture till the engine sounds like she is back in her sweet spot while full rich at sea level. Too rich it will be kinda boggy at higher altitudes. Try pulling/pushing the mixture till the engine sounds like it is back in it's optimal running sweet spot. As you go up the mixture will be slowly pulled out and as you descend you slowly push back in.

Kinda a set of hasty instructions there.  But it will get you started.

Happy Landings

Edited by jwhak

According to POH:

https://stpeteair.org/wp-content/uploads/PA-28-181-Archer-II-POH-.pdf

4.27 CRUISING
The cruising speed of the Cherokee Archer II is determined by many factors, including power setting.
altitude. temperature, loading and equipment installed in the airplane.
The normal maximum cruising power is 75% of the rated horsepower of the engine. Airspeeds which
may be obtained at various altitudes and power settings can be determined from the performance graphs
provided by Section 5.
Use of the mixture control in cruising flight reduces fuel consumption significantly, especially at
higher altitudes. The mixture should be leaned during cruising operation above 5000 ft. altitude and at
pilot'S discretion at lower altitudes when 75% power or less is being used. If any doubt exists as to the
amount of power being used. the mixture should be in the full "RICH" position for all operations under
5000 feet.
To lean the mixture, disengage the lock and pull the mixture control until the engine becomes rough,
indicating that the lean mixture limit has been reached in the leaner cylinders. Then enrich the mixture by
pushing the control towards the instrument panel until engine operation becomes smooth.
If the airplane is equipped with the optional exhaust gas temperature (EGT) gauge, a more accurate
means of leaning is available to the pilot. For this procedure, refer to the "Avco-Lycoming Operator's
Manual. "

If i am not mistaken, MSFS do not simulate well leaning of piston engines, and devs also do not have own engine simulation as for example A2A has in P3D.

In MSFS leaning was for me nothing, nothing and suddenly engine is dead :-)

Artur 

You can use ROP and LOP techniques if there's an EGT gauge.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

I don't fly GA on MSFS much (and when I do, rarely above 3000ft) but if it's anything like FSX, and I suspect it is, leaning to the correct mixture actually increases the power (RPM on fixed prop, MP on constant speed).  So just (incorrectly) lean for max power.

Have you tried this in the JustFlight Archer? Could be that Carenado has not developed a realistic simulation of leaning in their Archer.

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049