Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

At times, difficult to distinguish from reality...

5 hours ago, Gulfstream said:

What's up with the clouds jumping around and shifting positions so suddenly?

it's called x-plane. and please report immediately on their bug reporting site, otherwise this will be regarded as "trolling again ?" 😀

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

5 hours ago, turbomax said:

it's called x-plane. and please report immediately on their bug reporting site, otherwise this will be regarded as "trolling again ?" 😀

It's called VisualXp 😛 it's a known issue 

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

2 hours ago, Humpty said:

It's called VisualX

I don't use that, and I think I have observed that effect too.

edit: I meant I observed too abrupt changes in day light changes, not cloud movement.

Edited by turbomax

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

very nice.

1 hour ago, turbomax said:

I don't use that, and I think I have observed that effect too.

In default xp? 

At least I have never come across that issue

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

12 hours ago, Gulfstream said:

Also, the way that fence draws in during the landing is very odd.

I found it positively trippy.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

1 hour ago, Humpty said:

At least I have never come across that issue

you were right, I confused that with abrupt changes in ambient light. not extreme but too strong to not notice it.

So you get VisualX to improve one thing and get other artefacts on the other side, that's why I stay mostly clear of these 3rd party addons.

very nice.

Well it all looked alright to me and made go and do a quick hop in the PA18 down there. Glad  JComm looked at Cuba, turns out some very nice airports done for Cuba at the Org so bonus there as well. I do not have weird clouds or weather issues in the sim but then again no tweaks or addons just what Laminar have done, my only scenery addon is SimHeaven just because it populates most areas a lot better (not perfectly but close enough). Did the same thing after seeing a video of a flight at Friday Harbour that did a split screen job of a real flight and a sim flight same route etc (the old FSX default start point) apart from the noticeable messiness of human habitation (bits and pieces here there and everywhere) look pretty spot on to me there too. 

Anyway here is Cuba in my sim same area different persective (XP12). Wanted to go flying there again today but weather was non vfr with low cloud, rain showers and thunderstorms. What I saw in the sim matched what the metars were too - so no complaints there either!

eCpxe9r.jpg

• Like 4

Looks really good, even default @coastaldriver !

There are notorious differences in the "art assets" used in XP12 to populate towns. Lisbon even in default looks a lot more plausible than it ever did in default XP11. Not perfect, the 25th April bridge far from it's real San Francisco like look, but it is still plausible overall.

I have ASXP12, and it's progressing too, but they still need help support from a good SDK base to do their Magic!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Uninstaller since July 2012 when MS canceled MS FLIGHT... (will never thrust them for flightims again...)

22 minutes ago, jcomm said:

but they still need help support from a good SDK base to do their Magic!

Not sure how forthcoming that is going to be.

Still in discussion, but it looks like major rendering engine changes are planned for XP12.06 to address performance and artefacting issues that may well cause problems for plugins messing with XP12's graphics using non standard means (not sure if this applies to ASXP12)

• Like 3

AutoATC Developer

12 minutes ago, mSparks said:

Not sure how forthcoming that is going to be.

Still in discussion, but it looks like major rendering engine changes are planned for XP12.06 to address performance and artefacting issues that may well cause problems for plugins messing with XP12's graphics using non standard means (not sure if this applies to ASXP12)

Oops 😕

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Uninstaller since July 2012 when MS canceled MS FLIGHT... (will never thrust them for flightims again...)

This pretty much shows all the strenghts and weaknesses of x-plane as of today:

- awesome lighting and flight dynamics

- clouds (and the weather system overall) are still far from what they're supposed to be

- distant shimmering

- performance issues (stuttering)

- scenery (especially the low quality mesh)

• Like 4

Setup: RX6800 | 5800X3D + B450 | 32GB 3200MHz | X-Plane 12

4 minutes ago, bogdansrb said:

This pretty much shows all the strenghts and weaknesses of x-plane as of today:

that and a lack of addons.

what about anti-aliasing (mSparky feel free to call it something else or explain it doesn't exist 😊)

I am disappointed we still have to talk about all this 6 month after "in full release now"

x-plane 12 could otherwise be a truly wonderful experience if they got rid of these very obvious immersion killers.

• Like 1

very nice.

Yeah I feel they slowed down the development lately. There haven't been any significant fixes since the zink release.

• Like 1

Setup: RX6800 | 5800X3D + B450 | 32GB 3200MHz | X-Plane 12

6 hours ago, jcomm said:

Looks really good, even default @coastaldriver !

There are notorious differences in the "art assets" used in XP12 to populate towns. Lisbon even in default looks a lot more plausible than it ever did in default XP11. Not perfect, the 25th April bridge far from it's real San Francisco like look, but it is still plausible overall.

I have ASXP12, and it's progressing too, but they still need help support from a good SDK base to do their Magic!

Yes does to me too. Went back though a whole box of P3DV5 shots today (I used to think it was pretty good once!) No comparison really. Sure there are some issues here and there and they are minor. I don't get stuttering, the antialiasing seems fine to my eye (unless your putting a magnifying glass over every part of it) weather is more than plausible and lighting is fine by me as well. I get excellent FPS rates (not that it matters as long as it smooth really) and load times are fine (I can remember LMs best taking 10 minutes plus to load a flight sometimes) I only use SimHeaven to populate the landscape with a few more bits and pieces that XP12 default leaves out (Like houses on out of the way tropical islands) etc. Six months after moving to XP12 I have not spent a single cent on buying addon scenery (over the years I think I was one of ORBX;s best customers and I cannot be bothered counting up what that all cost but more than a few thousand bucks went into buying scenery to make P3D and FSX look remotely plausible. 

Look you cannot have perfect realism, not even SimZilla is ever going to give you that. (yes I had SimZilla but got a refund!) 

Laminar have some work to do with the SDK and Developers manual - the FMOD business is a mess and not much better than a dark art at the moment. They give you a tutorial and notes based on XP12 and screenshots of the outdated FMOD version (really helpful - NOT) Maybe things have slowed for them a little like all software developers and companies (MS have been laying off a few to name one lately). I guess it depends upon where there priorities are - to start with they have three OS platforms to worry about, MAC, LINUX and WIN so it would not be that straightforward. 

Now the dollars I have saved on addons such as scenery, performance tools and fixes etc could be spent on models but there I am stuck like a lot of folk, I have a few XP11 models I got in ignorance in the early days (Like the FJS 727 and 737) sitting in the repair shop until somebody fixes them. As for aircraft models well seems reasonably healthy to me, The only shortfall I see is in the heavy metal or multiengine and military jet department. But I already have accumulated more birds than I can ever properly fly but the key favourites are all there. My only gripe is the really great XP11 stuff that sits awaiting updating to work in XP12 - my hunch there is a lot of these small developers kept busy during COVID but now they are back at their day jobs or similar but I am hopeful some will come good others not so hopeful maybe the gloss has gone off simulation development for them, who knows? And of course others have gone to the dark side.

Why the rant I have wasted a week on FMOD stuff (what a bag of worms that is) and another day to get a Multiplayer system functioning - same issues out of date manuals, tutorials and advice!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, coastaldriver said:

Why the rant I have wasted a week on FMOD stuff (what a bag of worms that is)

Amen. I couldn't even get an engine sound loop to play when messing with fmod some time ago, so I gave up on it.

• Like 1

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days