Both CPUs, i13900K or i13700K, have 8 performance cores. The difference are the efficient cores (16 or 8). Somewhere I've read the effcient cores should be excluded for the sim (Prepar3D) since they could cause stutters.

So if only performance cores are used for CPU hungry sims, why buying the more expensive i13900K? Because of 5.8 GHz Turbo instead of 5.6 GHz?

Another difference is power consumption. How can the i13700K have a max. TDP of 125 W, whereas the i13900K has one of 253 W? The efficient cores are should not be the most power using parts.

Looking forward to your opinions?

Dan

OS=WIN11 Home, Sim=P3D5 5.4 (P3D4 and FSX for install reasons)
Addons=ORBX, ASCA, AS, TOGA and tons of sceneries, aircraft

MB=Gigabyte AORUS Z790 Elite AX, CPU=i13900K, Cooling=Be quiet! Pure Loop II FX
GPU=KFA2 RTX3090 24 GB, RAM=64 GB DDR5-5600, HOTAS=Logitech G Saitek X52 Pro

Visit my website for fixes and addons: https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods

If you don't get the 13900k you'll always wonder what you missed out on. And do you really care about the power? Really? 😁

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

My advice: Don‘t waste your money. MSFS (as well as all older sims) still uses core 1 the most. The CPU clock is much more important than the number of cores. All 13th generation CPUs have a sufficient number of cores. I have the i5 13600K (overclocked at 5.6 GHz and combined with a RTX 3090) and couldn‘t be happier. You better spend more on the GPU.

Edited by Flyfox
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Felix

4 hours ago, odourboy said:

If you don't get the 13900k you'll always wonder what you missed out on. And do you really care about the power? Really? 😁

Well yes, when in the summer my flightsim office will be heated up by the rig. Even with my i9700K, i have a heating in the room 😄

I wonder, if it uses that much energy (twice) does it run twice as fast?

That point with the "miss out" I know well, cause I went for the 9700 last time and always wondered, if the 9900 had been better. But all the years before, I had HT turned off, so I really don't know why buying hyperthreading. 

Edited by blaunarwal

Visit my website for fixes and addons: https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods

1 hour ago, Flyfox said:

My advice: Don‘t waste your money. MSFS (as well as all older sims) still uses core 1 the most. The CPU clock is much more important than the number of cores. All 13th generation CPUs have a sufficient number of cores. I have the i5 13600K (overclocked at 5.6 GHz and combined with a RTX 3090) and couldn‘t be happier. You better spend more on the GPU.

Thanks for your opinion. Even the all new MSFS has its roots from FSX no doubt. I already have the RTX 3090 for two years and plan to transfer it to the new system.

very informative video on power/performance comparison (of flight sims) that might benefit some one, (thanks to the author of the video);

Ali A.

MSFS on PC: I9-13900KS | ASUS ROG STRIX Z790 MB | 32GB DDR5/7200MHz RAM | ASUS TUF RTX4090 OCE | 1TB M.2 Samsung 990 Pro (Windows) +2TB Samsung 990 Pro for MSFS + 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD for DATA | EK-Nucleus AIO CR360 Lux D-RGB CPU cooler.

HP Reverb G2 VR (occasional use) | ASUS ROG Strix XG43UQ 4K monitor | Tobii Eye tracker 5 | Logitech sound system 7.1 | VIRPIL Controls (Joystick + thrust levers + rudder pedals) | Windows 11 Pro.

On 5/27/2023 at 3:33 AM, Flyfox said:

My 8-core system shows pretty even utilization across all 8-cores (i7-9700K @ 4.7 GHz).  Here are two screen shots flying the TBM out of KSAN with most settings at Ultra in order to stress the system:
spacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by TacomaSailor
Better image
  • Like 1

i7-9700K @4.9 GHz  / Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Mobo / 32 GB DDR4 / RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU / AORUS FO48U 4k display
 SSD for Drive C and another SSD dedicate to Flight Sim / 1 GB Comcast Xfinity Internet connection / HP Reverb G2 / Tobii 5 Head & Eye Tracking

read about me and my sailing adventures at www.svmirador.net/WebsiteOne/ or at Flickr TacomaSailor