Sign in to follow this  
Stiller Water

Which weather programs do you use for MSFS?

I often fly at past dates to re-fly my real travels - or to prepare for upcoming (in that case I just go 1 year back). In P3D I used Active Sky to mimic the real weather of that particular day (and, more important, season). But as far as it appears to me, MSFS by default only offers live weather for today, or artificial situations.

It could be I miss some function in MSFS - in that case please help me.

But it could be some add-on needs to be used - in that case please give me your experience.

Thanks in advance, in either case.

Cheers, Gerold

Spoiler

Hardware: Intel i9-13900K @ 4.2 Ghz, BENQ EW3270U (3840*2160), 32 GB RAM DDR5-6000, Gigabyte Gaming OC Nvidia GeForce RTX 4080 16 GB, Samsung 980 Pro M.2: 1 TB (Win 11-System), Samsung 870 QVO SSD: 2 TB (MSFS), 2 * Samsung 850 EVO SSD: 1 TB (P3D 4.5 HF3) & 500 GB (spare). Scenery / Add-Ons: Lots of commercial & freeware sceneries. Plus REX Weather Force (MSFS), FS Global Mesh 2010, ActiveSky_P3Dv4, ASCA, EzDok v3, Pro-ATC/X and REX 4 Texture Direct (all for P3D).

Live Weather! But I do use preset sometimes. I have REX weather never use it. 

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV

Historic weather isn't possible yet. It's only live weather. And none of the available addons come even close to what AS did in FSC/P3D. Having said that: I like the live weather in MSFS a LOT more than any weather in any other sim (including AS in P3D). Seeing clouds up to the horizon instead of in a small circle around you is enough already to be very happy with what MSFS offers be default. 

Edited by tup61
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Stiller Water said:

I often fly at past dates to re-fly my real travels - or to prepare for upcoming (in that case I just go 1 year back). In P3D I used Active Sky to mimic the real weather of that particular day (and, more important, season). But as far as it appears to me, MSFS by default only offers live weather for today, or artificial situations.

It could be I miss some function in MSFS - in that case please help me.

But it could be some add-on needs to be used - in that case please give me your experience.

Thanks in advance, in either case.

No way, this is a major drawback of this sim. More frustrating, it does not even record the weather on a 24 h-period.   And the main MSFS honcho in Seattle has been playing stupid for quite some time now, pretending that he doesn't understand where is the problem.    

If it can bring you some relief you can vote in this thread. It is, of course, useless but you may feel better afterward 😄.

Historic Weather (as second timeline) - Microsoft Flight Simulator / Wishlist - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

Edited by Dominique_K
  • Like 3

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Thank you all for the short comments. What a drawback only live weather is, for example when it is June and you fly in New Zealand (all that snow...).

Cheers, Gerold

Spoiler

Hardware: Intel i9-13900K @ 4.2 Ghz, BENQ EW3270U (3840*2160), 32 GB RAM DDR5-6000, Gigabyte Gaming OC Nvidia GeForce RTX 4080 16 GB, Samsung 980 Pro M.2: 1 TB (Win 11-System), Samsung 870 QVO SSD: 2 TB (MSFS), 2 * Samsung 850 EVO SSD: 1 TB (P3D 4.5 HF3) & 500 GB (spare). Scenery / Add-Ons: Lots of commercial & freeware sceneries. Plus REX Weather Force (MSFS), FS Global Mesh 2010, ActiveSky_P3Dv4, ASCA, EzDok v3, Pro-ATC/X and REX 4 Texture Direct (all for P3D).

1 hour ago, Dominique_K said:

No way, this is a major drawback of this sim. More frustrating, it does not even record the weather on a 24 h-period.   And the main MSFS honcho in Seattle has been playing stupid for quite some time now, pretending that he doesn't understand where is the problem.    

If it can bring you some relief you can vote in this thread. It is, of course, useless but you may feel better afterward 😄.

Historic Weather (as second timeline) - Microsoft Flight Simulator / Wishlist - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

I see I am not the first to ask this. And not the first to fly my way. And, moreover, the issue has not been solved after 2 years of discussion!

Cheers, Gerold

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, Stiller Water said:

I see I am not the first to ask this. And not the first to fly my way. And, moreover, the issue has not been solved after 2 years of discussion!

It is complicated as ASobo has introduced a new way to depict weather  using  MeteoBlue which, as I understand, does not make it easy. We get a superb global weather, at least most of the time, but the engine does not lend itself to keep history. 

If I may Gerold, don't try to replicate what you are used to in P3D. This is a different environment. Leaving P3D to MSFS you get some, you leave some.  A lot of good stuff, some frustrations too.  You will love it.

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

MSFS own 'Live Weather' is the best weather engine. However, I do like to use these presets every now and then:
Floyds Epic Clouds for Microsoft Flight Simulator | MSFS

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

I acquired REX WF Weather early after its release as MSFS live weather was abysmal at the time.  I used it exclusively for several months with very few issues.  I noticed that MSFS live weather show improvement and began using it more and more, but I continued to fall back on REX WF when needed, so I still found it valuable.  In fact I fell back on it once early last week.  So I keep it updated.

• Upvote 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

1 hour ago, Stiller Water said:

Thank you all for the short comments. What a drawback only live weather is, for example when it is June and you fly in New Zealand (all that snow...).

You do know that’s winter in the southern hemisphere. 😉

• Like 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

XEnviro?

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

Only use live weather here. Zero interest in historical weather functionality. I don’t think that many people would actually end up using it. There’s a reason it hasn’t been a priority.

• Upvote 1

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

4 minutes ago, kiwikat said:

I don’t think that many people would actually end up using it. There’s a reason it hasn’t been a priority.

I doubt that. Historic weather is one of the main reasons people want a 3rd party weather addon. The fact that it doesn't get priority says absolutely nothing about the popularity of a certain desired feature. I myself can't imagine that anyone who likes to fly in various locations all over the globe (which is something MSFS really focuses on) is NOT interested in historic weather.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

You do know that’s winter in the southern hemisphere. 😉

That is exactly my problem: I want to re-fly a trip to Oceania I made in Feb/March, or anticipate a flight I may make in another February. I can not use live weather for that.

Cheers, Gerold

Spoiler

1 hour ago, tup61 said:

I doubt that. Historic weather is one of the main reasons people want a 3rd party weather addon. The fact that it doesn't get priority says absolutely nothing about the popularity of a certain desired feature. I myself can't imagine that anyone who likes to fly in various locations all over the globe (which is something MSFS really focuses on) is NOT interested in historic weather.

Supported. And, see the link that Dominique has posted above: There are many more with this interest.

Cheers, Gerold

Spoiler