Sign in to follow this  
Souris Lemur635

Severe stutters/perfomance issues with a 7800X3D and RTX 409

Hello everyone,

First of all sorry if this isn't the correct place to post this, I'm new to this forum.

Recently I upgraded my PC with a 7800X3D chip, based off benchmarks and information I had read which said this CPU was the best one currently available for MSFS. 

After making a fresh Windows 11 install, I downloaded MSFS but was very surprised and disappointed by the performance I'm getting. 

https://youtu.be/DB4WNQJ77f0?t=40

https://streamable.com/8mlum9

Same situation and same settings, the user in the YT video has around 70 FPS with constant smoothness, and I'm getting around 60 FPS with really noticeable stutters (with frame generation on). The YT video CPU is a 13900k too, which from the benchmarks I saw, should actually perform a bit worse than the 7800X3D.

Here's another example, this time at a default airport. 

Some more info: all drivers are updated, BIOS too, EXPO enabled, I've gone through the trouble of formatting twice and testing both Windows 10 and 11, HAGS on and off, DX11/DX12 in-game... Also ran Cinebench and the scores were normal, so whatever is happening seems to only be affecting MSFS (or maybe other games, haven't been able to try that). The game is installed on a 1TB NVME drive, I'm running 32GB of CL30 DDR5 memory at 6000MHz and the motherboard is an Aorus Elite AX X670.

I posted this on the official MSFS forums as well but nobody was able to give me a solution, so hopefully someone here will have some ideas.

Thanks!

Are you using Process Lasso? Also is your system performance set to balanced, high, or ultimate?

AMD 7950X3D | 64 GB RAM | RTX 4090

B737 Pilot

2 hours ago, Souris Lemur635 said:

Hello everyone,

First of all sorry if this isn't the correct place to post this, I'm new to this forum.

Recently I upgraded my PC with a 7800X3D chip, based off benchmarks and information I had read which said this CPU was the best one currently available for MSFS. 

After making a fresh Windows 11 install, I downloaded MSFS but was very surprised and disappointed by the performance I'm getting. 

https://youtu.be/DB4WNQJ77f0?t=40

https://streamable.com/8mlum9

Same situation and same settings, the user in the YT video has around 70 FPS with constant smoothness, and I'm getting around 60 FPS with really noticeable stutters (with frame generation on). The YT video CPU is a 13900k too, which from the benchmarks I saw, should actually perform a bit worse than the 7800X3D.

Here's another example, this time at a default airport. 

Some more info: all drivers are updated, BIOS too, EXPO enabled, I've gone through the trouble of formatting twice and testing both Windows 10 and 11, HAGS on and off, DX11/DX12 in-game... Also ran Cinebench and the scores were normal, so whatever is happening seems to only be affecting MSFS (or maybe other games, haven't been able to try that). The game is installed on a 1TB NVME drive, I'm running 32GB of CL30 DDR5 memory at 6000MHz and the motherboard is an Aorus Elite AX X670.

I posted this on the official MSFS forums as well but nobody was able to give me a solution, so hopefully someone here will have some ideas.

Thanks!

you make no mention of the in-game location, or if stutters happen always or only on the ground etc.
Probably it's near a PG city, which will cause stutters panning around, no matter how much you upgrade.

Look at the power plan, as v1 suggests...

Also have you monitored a sim-session with HWInfo?  Just to make sure your voltages and temps are where they should be?

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Not sure if its related, but I have had my Gigabyte 4090 stop displaying I.e screen goes dark but PC is still running either while running MSFS or just after running MSFS. 

Only started a couple of days ago and so far only with MSFS. Runs fine with DCS, xplane and P3D. Temps fine, no overclocking or under volting the card, everything at default. My best guess so far will have to be latest drivers causing the issues.

18 hours ago, Fiorentoni said:

you make no mention of the in-game location, or if stutters happen always or only on the ground etc.
Probably it's near a PG city, which will cause stutters panning around, no matter how much you upgrade.

The first video is at KLAX, the second is at KSEA. Both big PG cities, but if you check the first YT video, that person is getting a smooth panning with a CPU that in theory should be slower than mine, with max settings. He's not the only one too, that seems to be the norm with high end CPUs.

18 hours ago, V1ROTA7E said:

Are you using Process Lasso? Also is your system performance set to balanced, high, or ultimate?

I'm not using it, and if you mean the Windows power plan, it's set to the default high performance setting.

17 hours ago, Mace said:

Look at the power plan, as v1 suggests...

Also have you monitored a sim-session with HWInfo?  Just to make sure your voltages and temps are where they should be?

spacer.png

spacer.png

This is what it looks like.

I have a 5800x3d and a 7900xtx running ultra everything (except object and terrain lod) 1440p at 100-165fps. My PC is a little worse than yours and I get zero stutters unless I turn object and terrain lod up too high. I also have 64GB 3200mhz ram and it's running off a dedicated NVME.

First off check the object and terrain LOD. Drop them to 150 and see if it fixes it. Make sure your traffic isn't maxed out too. Also not sure how new you are to pc building but incase you're very new, make sure to turn on XMP.

Ignore the people talking about process lasso. It's not 2009 and we're not running FSX anymore. Your machine is an absolute beast and you don't need that nonsense.

Like I said, my PC is a little worse than yours and my performance is absolutely flawless at heavy payware airports in the PMDG 737 and Fenix.

So yeah, check the traffic and drop it. Then drop object and terrain LOD. Bet you'll be running great at little to no visual difference.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Souris Lemur635 said:

The first video is at KLAX, the second is at KSEA. Both big PG cities, but if you check the first YT video, that person is getting a smooth panning with a CPU that in theory should be slower than mine, with max settings. He's not the only one too, that seems to be the norm with high end CPUs.

You're right. I can take off from Newark and fly over NYC in heavy weather in the 737-700 and get 80fps with zero stutter. I believe that's probably the most dense area in the sim. Stutters definitely mean you've got something up.

My experience with my 7800X3D is similar to Bigbluss.  I can fly over NYC in heavy wx with PMDG 737-700, FSLTL AI running, and iniBuilds KJFK and aftermarket Teterboro all loaded and still get 90-100 fps with zero stutter.

I don't see anything that looks bad in your HWInfo screenshot.  Your SOC voltage is around where I'd expect it if you're running an EXPO profile.  Therefore I believe the issue is with the video card or its driver.   There's an outside chance that something is amiss with the chipset/chipset driver but since your Cinebench score was normal I really think the problem is elsewhere.

Do you have full screen AA (FXAA) running?   What TLOD do you run?

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

2 hours ago, Mace said:

My experience with my 7800X3D is similar to Bigbluss.  I can fly over NYC in heavy wx with PMDG 737-700, FSLTL AI running, and iniBuilds KJFK and aftermarket Teterboro all loaded and still get 90-100 fps with zero stutter.

I don't see anything that looks bad in your HWInfo screenshot.  Your SOC voltage is around where I'd expect it if you're running an EXPO profile.  Therefore I believe the issue is with the video card or its driver.   There's an outside chance that something is amiss with the chipset/chipset driver but since your Cinebench score was normal I really think the problem is elsewhere.

Do you have full screen AA (FXAA) running?   What TLOD do you run?

I do, and in those video I was running 300 TLOD.

I used DDU to uninstall the Nvidia drivers, then reinstalled. Didn't help at all.

For what it's worth, when I get the stutters while panning, the developer mode FPS box shows a massive spike in both GPU and CPU, but when it's not stuttering, it shows the CPU struggling, the GPU with a lot of headroom and says "limited by main thread".

Did the OP install the Xbox Gamebar? I've read this is essential to make sure MSFS is using only the cores with the extra cache.

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

Are you doing any sort of framerate capping with frame generation? Also, post a picture of your overall MSFS settings.

7 minutes ago, orchestra_nl said:

Did the OP install the Xbox Gamebar? I've read this is essential to make sure MSFS is using only the cores with the extra cache.

Not necessary with the 7800X3D, as that has the cache available on every core.

Edited by Sethos

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

15 minutes ago, Sethos said:

Are you doing any sort of framerate capping with frame generation? Also, post a picture of your overall MSFS settings.

Not necessary with the 7800X3D, as that has the cache available on every core.

Not capping anything, and the settings are just the ultra preset with TLOD at 300.