Sign in to follow this  
sfgiants13

Stuttering and Screen Tearing New Gsync Monitor

5 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Yet you’re not using it? So, what’s the point? 

This is false. Listen to MrFuzzy guys, he knows what he's talking about.

What I've read, to cap your frames when using frame generation, only vsync will work. Any other method will not.

So if you use frame generation and want to lock your frames to a lower value to save energy, then take a look at what other refresh rates your monitor can handle.

My 144Hz monitor can also be set to 120, 100, 85, 60 and 24Hz.

So for example, set your screen refresh rate to 60Hz, use vsync + gsync and in the sim, set vsync on (monitors refresh rate) and reflex on, to cap just below 60Hz in this example.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrFuzzy said:

GSync tells the monitor to adapt dynamically its refresh rate to the number of fps that the GPU is delivering.

Yep, know that, I was only contesting IanR's statement that Gsync is not active when Vsync is enabled in MSFS.

• Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

20 hours ago, michaelray said:

What a great and timely thread.

I have just ungraded my PC this last week. Went from a 9900KS to an AMD 7800X3D. I have had an RTX4090 on the old system for a couple of months. I have an Alienware AW3821 G-sync capable monitor (144Hz).

On the old system using FG, tearing was not an issue because I simply could not get the FPS up to the 144Hz limit. However with the new rig I have had a hard time controlling the tearing because in certain circumstances it can achieve FPS at or in excess of 144 (using FG). This is even true in the PMDG 737 at cruise. 

The first thing I did was cap the frames at 140FPS in NVCP and enable Vsync. This helped slightly but the tearing was still pretty bad. Next capped frames at 120FPS in NVCP and this brought about another improvement but still not very good.

Finally capped frames at 90FPS in NVCP and this has made the tearing almost eliminated. Occasionally switching between views you will see a slight tear/ripple through the screen.

This caps the MSFS FPS at 45. While this is still good, at 45FPS it does allow some slight artifacts view switching or movement.

I was surprised that using NVCP and capping at 140FPS didn't bring me nirvana considering other peoples experiences. 

Current Settings..............

• Driver 535.98
  • NVCP Cap: 90FPS
  • NVCP Vsync ON
  • NVCP Power Management: Prefer Maximum Performance
  • MSFS AA: TAA
  • MSFS FG: On
  • MSFS: Vsync Off

It may be that Frame Generation and V-sync/G-sync are still in their early days and hopefully further improvements will come about.

I will continue to tinker and see what happens. I must say that one of the biggest improvements for me in flight simming was the purchase of a G-sync capable monitor. I don't see how I could go back to not having one.

You should not need to set an FPS cap anywhere when using FG,

I run the exact same as you apart from Low Latency - Ultra on my 55 inch Sony X90K, when you select Vsync - On in NVCP and use FG in Sim it automatically caps your fps below your set refresh rate. I run at 120Hz and my fps are capped automatically at 116 and if it drops Gsync takes care of that. I found that using any type of frame limiter with FG introduced micro stuttering, especially RTSS. That does not play nicely with FG.

• Upvote 1

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

4 hours ago, RJC68 said:

I run the exact same as you apart from Low Latency - Ultra on my 55 inch Sony X90K, when you select Vsync - On in NVCP and use FG in Sim it automatically caps your fps below your set refresh rate. I run at 120Hz and my fps are capped automatically at 116 and if it drops Gsync takes care of that. I found that using any type of frame limiter with FG introduced micro stuttering, especially RTSS. That does not play nicely with FG.

Wow thanks Richard.

Yes I removed the frame rate cap in NVCP and left Vsync on. Now frame rate capped automatically a few FPS below monitor refresh rate. BUT now no tearing whatsoever when switching views. This is what I was after.

I have only had 10 minutes to play with this but I am really impressed now.

Looking forward to a long flight tonight.

Michael M

System: AMD 7800X3D II Asus X670E Hero MB II 32GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 II RTX4090 II 2TB NVMe Samsung 980 Pro II  EKWB  CR360 AIO II Dell Alienware - AW3821DW 3840 X 1600 G-Sync Ultimate

11 hours ago, RJC68 said:

You can framerate cap with NVCP just fine. In my opinion, doesn't make sense to just blast out frames even with FG, less performance overhead and too large dips between smooth and heavy scenarios. I'm running an 80FPS cap and it's beautifully smooth.

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

7 hours ago, Sethos said:

You can framerate cap with NVCP just fine. In my opinion, doesn't make sense to just blast out frames even with FG, less performance overhead and too large dips between smooth and heavy scenarios. I'm running an 80FPS cap and it's beautifully smooth.

If you are using FG & Vsync your frames will be capped automatically below your current refresh rate as I mentioned above. Nvidia Low Latency will also be turned on 

For me if I also tried to use something else to cap fps be it NVCP or RTSS it introduced micro stuttering. 

YMMV of course, just my own observation

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

24 minutes ago, RJC68 said:

If you are using FG & Vsync your frames will be capped automatically below your current refresh rate as I mentioned above. Nvidia Low Latency will also be turned on 

For me if I also tried to use something else to cap fps be it NVCP or RTSS it introduced micro stuttering. 

YMMV of course, just my own observation

Yes, reflex does the capping but that is still a very high cap when a monitor is 144Hz+ But RTSS is completely no-go with FG, simply does not work properly but for me, NVCP works perfectly, cap is smooth with solid frametimes. Weird that it gives you stutters.

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

3 minutes ago, Sethos said:

Yes, reflex does the capping but that is still a very high cap when a monitor is 144Hz+ But RTSS is completely no-go with FG, simply does not work properly but for me, NVCP works perfectly, cap is smooth with solid frametimes. Weird that it gives you stutters.

I can run my refresh rate at 100Hz and my fps will cap at 97 but I seem to get a little more Gsync flickering at 100Hz where as at 120Hz and 116 fps I barely see any hence why I just stuck with my current settings.

Richard

mmBbmS1.png

I've played with it a little more to no success trying various options.  I'll have more time to test this weekend.  I never dip below 40 even in the heaviest scenarios but I still get those obnoxious stutters every few seconds.  Screen tearing isn't a big issue anymore and doesn't seem to change with vsync on or off.  And for whatever reason when I pan down in the cockpit then back to straight ahead it freezes briefly as the FPS tanks to the teens then normalizes after a second or two.  I don't recall having that issue before so no idea what the issue is there.  I haven't tried anything other than the fbw because I'm trying to test in the most demanding scenarios so that could be a fbw thing.

Edited by sfgiants13

5800x3d Asus 4090 ROG Strix OC 2TB SSD 32GB Ram

2 minutes ago, RJC68 said:

I can run my refresh rate at 100Hz and my fps will cap at 97 but I seem to get a little more Gsync flickering at 100Hz where as at 120Hz and 116 fps I barely see any hence why I just stuck with my current settings.

Yeah I did that as well before I found out that NVCP works, for me at least. Also had the VRR flickering on my new monitor but that was down to some cable repositioning, apparently, then it stopped.

1 minute ago, sfgiants13 said:

And for whatever reason when I pan down in the cockpit then back to straight ahead it freezes briefly as the FPS tanks to the teens then normalizes after a second or two.  I don't recall having that issue before so no idea what the issue is there.  I haven't tried anything other than the fbw because I'm trying to test in the most demanding scenarios so that could be a fbw thing.

Are you running "Off Screen Terrain Pre-Caching" on Ultra? That should alleviate any stutters you see from panning around / looking up, though at the cost of slightly lowering your average framerate due to rendering everything around you, even when out of sight.

1 hour ago, Sethos said:

Are you running "Off Screen Terrain Pre-Caching" on Ultra? That should alleviate any stutters you see from panning around / looking up, though at the cost of slightly lowering your average framerate due to rendering everything around you, even when out of sight.

Thought I was but I’ll double check. I haven’t changed any in sim settings since I got the new monitor. Only thing I’ve been messing with is ncp settings. 

Here's what I've managed to test so far.

Fixed refresh rate at 60hz gsync off vsync on FPS capped at 60 - smooth like before 

Not smooth with frequent stutters

Refresh rate of 144hz gsync on vsync off no frame cap

Refresh rate of 144hz gsync on vsync on no frame cap

Refresh rate of 60hz gsync on vsync on/fast FPS capped at 60

Refresh rate of 60hz gsync on vsync off FPS capped at 60

Really trying to get it to work with frames unlimited.  With them capped it'll frequently drop to a few below the cap and cause some stuttering whereas when I run it unlimited I'm up in the 70s and 80s.  I'll keep testing this weekend to try for the sweet spot.

Also off screen pre caching was on ultra.  Don't have that massive panning stutter when on fixed rate with vsync but still have it on gsync.  It was worse at LAX than when I was testing at a smaller airport so I wonder if it's just having to load so much when I pan up that it's stuttering.

Edited by sfgiants13

On 7/20/2023 at 10:41 PM, michaelray said:

Wow thanks Richard.

Yes I removed the frame rate cap in NVCP and left Vsync on. Now frame rate capped automatically a few FPS below monitor refresh rate. BUT now no tearing whatsoever when switching views. This is what I was after.

I have only had 10 minutes to play with this but I am really impressed now.

Looking forward to a long flight tonight.

Glad it helped Michel,

I did lots of testing when I got my 4090 and this configuration really does offer the smoothest results. I always used RTSS in the past to cap frames but it does not play nicely with FG. I just use it occasionally to check performance now.

Richard

mmBbmS1.png