Sign in to follow this  
scotchegg

Canada, ru ok?!

4 hours ago, martin-w said:

No, we're in a rented place. Can't touch it. We're electric for heating and a gas boiler for water

Well, your heat is electric so that's good.  You should ask the landlord to install an electric water heater.  If he refuses, then you should lodge a complaint with the proper gov. authorities as use of LPG is harmful.

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

1 hour ago, dave2013 said:

If he refuses, then you should lodge a complaint with the proper gov. authorities as use of LPG is harmful.

“The new Guernsey Energy brand demonstrates our commitment to being a key part of the island’s Net Zero transition and, in the longer term, this means we will be diversifying our services and looking at alternatives to LPG gas, such as green hydrogen.” 

https://guernseyenergy.gg/guernsey_store_view/news/brand-new-energy-for-guernsey-gas

Edited by dmwalker
  • Like 1

Dugald Walker

6 hours ago, martin-w said:

We're electric for heating and a gas boiler for water

And gas for cooking?

I always thought LPG meant Liquefied Petroleum Gas, a mixture of gases, either predominantly propane or predominantly butane, but I see it also meaning Liquefied Propane Gas. It's all a bit ambiguous so I suppose your LPG could be either.

Edited by dmwalker

Dugald Walker

Why can't I edit my post to add another quote? I keep ending up with a whole new post.

Dugald Walker

12 hours ago, dave2013 said:

Well, your heat is electric so that's good.  You should ask the landlord to install an electric water heater.  If he refuses, then you should lodge a complaint with the proper gov. authorities as use of LPG is harmful.

Dave

The landlord isn't going to install an electric boiler when the Combi boiler in the property is only about 5 years old and functions perfectly. The states would think you were nuts if you complained that the boiler was LPG, given that all of the gas on the island is LPG. 😃 LPG is cheaper than electric I recall. 

WHERE DOES THE GAS COME FROM?

The Gas used in the Channel Islands is Liquefied Petroleum Gas, an abundant natural resource that is found in Worldwide oil fields and produced by refining crude oil.

After production, it is temporarily stored in refineries throughout Europe until being transported, by specially constructed ships, to bulk storage terminals throughout Europe including Guernsey and Jersey.

The blue Sigas Kosan tankers are a common sight to local waters, frequently sailing to the islands with cargoes of LPG. The liquefied Petroleum Gas is stored in Bulk storage terminals.

HOW IS THE GAS DISTRIBUTED?

The gas is distributed to local homes and establishments in two distinctly different ways.

Mains gas customers are serviced through a network of underground mains via a production plant, where the gas is processed, constantly monitored and checked for quality and purity, whilst a highly automated cylinder filling plant ensures that bottled gas and bulk tank users receive a first class, reliable gas supply delivered to their door.

Whichever way gas reaches your home or business, you can experience the benefits of a versatile and reliable fuel that provides you with a guaranteed security of supply and a full sales and service commitment from the Islands professional Gas Companies.

Edited by martin-w

9 hours ago, dmwalker said:

And gas for cooking?

I always thought LPG meant Liquefied Petroleum Gas, a mixture of gases, either predominantly propane or predominantly butane, but I see it also meaning Liquefied Propane Gas. It's all a bit ambiguous so I suppose your LPG could be either.

It's Liquefied Petroleum gas. 

For cooking we're electric. Its just the Combi boiler heating the water that's LPG. Which is a bit weird, because the boiler has the capacity to run radiators for heating too. Landlord had to replace the water heater years ago so went with the combi. Cheaper to not pipe rads of course. 

Average rental price for local market properties is £1,778 per month, pretty horrendous, so I'm not complaining that ours hasn't been refurbished, as we pay a LOT less than that. 😃 

On 8/20/2023 at 2:12 PM, martin-w said:

I'm not sure to be honest. As far as I know its all LPG. 

LPG = Liquid Propane Gas

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

42 minutes ago, n4gix said:

LPG = Liquid Propane Gas

Here is a definition from the WLPGA (the World Liquefied Petroleum Gas Association, not the World Ladies Professional Golf Association)

"LPG stands for “Liquefied Petroleum Gas” and the term is used to describe two Natural Gas Liquids: propane and butane, or a mix of the two. Propane and butane are chemically quite similar but the small differences in their properties mean that they are particularly suited to specific uses. Often, propane and butane will be mixed to get the best energy yields and properties."

https://www.wlpga.org/about-lpg/what-is-lpg/

Also:

"The abbreviation sometimes stands for liquefied propane gas, because propane is the primary constituent."

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/earth-and-planetary-sciences/liquefied-petroleum-gas

Also, I meant to add this:

"In the northern hemisphere winter, the mixes contain more propane, while in summer, they contain more butane."

Edited by dmwalker
  • Upvote 1

Dugald Walker

2 hours ago, dmwalker said:

LPG stands for “Liquefied Petroleum Gas”

Yes, it is a petroleum gas, a fossil fuel. 

If I were truly concerned about fossil fuels and the damage they cause, then I'd be making every effort to replace any fossil fuel appliances ASAP.

However, I am not.  I love natural gas, and use it to heat my house and my water, as well as to cook.

Dave

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

5 hours ago, dave2013 said:

If I were truly concerned about fossil fuels and the damage they cause, then I'd be making every effort to replace any fossil fuel appliances ASAP.

Its part  of the strategy. As Dugald discovered above, they intend to phase it out in favor of alternatives like green hydrogen. No different to any country, in that fossil fuel use is part of the energy mix. Jersey have accelerated research into site development for their proposed wind farm. The Equinor wind farm for Guernsey would generate enough power  to become a net energy producer for a  large chunk of Germany or France as well as the Bailiwick of Guernsey.

Edited by martin-w

7 hours ago, martin-w said:

ts part  of the strategy.

Apparently, it's not your "strategy", as you still use an LPG water heater.

Are you telling everyone that between you and your daughter you could not afford to replace your fossil fuel appliance with an electric one?

Again, please put your money where your mouth is.

Dave

48 minutes ago, dave2013 said:

Are you telling everyone that between you and your daughter you could not afford to replace your fossil fuel appliance with an electric one?

You mean illegally without the landlord's permission?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Dugald Walker

Don't go crazy, Martin ! Play the cards the landlord dealt you.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

3 hours ago, dave2013 said:

Apparently, it's not your "strategy", as you still use an LPG water heater.

Again, please put your money where your mouth is.

Dave

WHAT!!!!

Its not my fossil fuel appliance. Its the landlords.

I'm in a RENTED place. I have no legal right to start changing boilers. I would be in trouble with the law and in breach of my daughters contract... obviously!

I thought it was weird you were being friendly. Back to your old self I see. 🙄

You've lost the plot. Who on Earth would pay over 1000 quid per month to rent a place and then break the law and rip out somebody else's property, install 1000's of quid's worth of kit in somebody else's house, breeching the contract, get kicked out, and be in trouble with the law.  🤣

Edited by martin-w
  • Like 4

19 hours ago, martin-w said:

You've lost the plot. Who on Earth would pay over 1000 quid per month to rent a place and then break the law and rip out somebody else's property, install 1000's of quid's worth of kit in somebody else's house, breeching the contract, get kicked out, and be in trouble with the law

OK.  You can stop with the fake outrage now.  I never said to do it without the landlord's permission.  Nice try.

I have no doubt that the landlord would be happy to let you pay for replacing a dirty fossil fuel appliance with a newer, and according to you, much better, electric water heater which uses nice green and friendly electricity.

You're all talk, Martin.

Dave