Sign in to follow this  
Jeff D

Not enough TO power ATR72-600

So what's the story with not being able to depart a 4000' runway. Takeoff roll is too long and ends up crashing into the trees at the end. I've searched the forum, both your and msfs's and I dont see anything about what's the cause and what's the fix. The only things I've seen in the forums concerning this says to cyle the power mgmt knob from TO to MCT and back before takeof and insure idle gate is pushed in. Neither of this worked for me. And yes, I make sure it is properly in NOTCH. I'm running the latest version also. I'm stumped.

Too little information: power setting, airport elevation, temperature and etc. But here is an excellent tutorial on take off

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

What's the airport/runway you're trying (I'd like to give it a go)? Any trim or flaps on take-off?"

• Like 1

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be turning the power management to TO for the takeoff, and only change to MCT once gear is up and flaps retracted on climb out.

Edited by AJZip

Ryzen 7 7700x @5.5GHz; ASUS X670-P Motherboard; nVidia 4080 (factory o/c); 32G 5600MHz DDR5 SDRAM; HP Reverb G2

Also, you can move the power levers to Ramp or even the Gate if needs be. I believe that Notch position is for standard operations but not a restriction.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

3 hours ago, Adamski_NZ said:

What's the airport/runway you're trying (I'd like to give it a go)? Any trim or flaps on take-off?"

Try any runway less than 5000' at any altitude within 100' of sea level. KAXH is where it happens to me. OAT at 25 deg C. Weight loaded using simbrief data for a 2 hour flight. 1 notch of flaps. Making sure trim is set to the value set forth after pressing "Confirm takeoff data".Usually trim shows 1.1 after putting the pink arrow where it needs to be on the trim setting display. Throttles set to NOTCH. Hopefully that's enough info. I've seen that video that SD_Flyer posted several times. If you notice in that video, he's got a nice long runway and his takeoff roll looks underpowered also.

Edited by Jeff D

6 minutes ago, Jeff D said:

Try any runway less than 5000' at any altitude within 100' of sea level. KAXH is where it happens to me. OAT at 25 deg C. Weight loaded using simbrief data for a 2 hour flight. 1 notch of flaps. Making sure trim is set to the value set forth after pressing "Confirm takeoff data".Usually trim shows 1.1 after putting the pink arrow where it needs to be on the trim setting display. Throttles set to NOTCH. Hopefully that's enough info. I've seen that video that SD_Flyer posted several times. If you notice in that video, he's got a nice long runway and his takeoff roll looks underpowered also.

Great - thanks for that .. I'll give it a go! @AJZip ... I thought that after gear up, you switch to "CLB" (not "MCT").

18 minutes ago, Adamski_NZ said:

Great - thanks for that .. I'll give it a go! @AJZip ... I thought that after gear up, you switch to "CLB" (not "MCT").

I'm probably wrong, but my understanding is that TO is a bit like a TOGA setting on a jet - it gives you everything...but shouldn't be maintained for long.  Then MCT eases back a touch but still gives maximum sustainable power in a climb and then CLB eases back more to a more economic power setting, while still capable of maintaining the climb rate set.  Or something like that :smile:

• Like 1

Ryzen 7 7700x @5.5GHz; ASUS X670-P Motherboard; nVidia 4080 (factory o/c); 32G 5600MHz DDR5 SDRAM; HP Reverb G2

All the videos I've seen has the throttles set to notch for takeoff roll and the power management set to TO, then set to climb after reaching around 500' altitude.

Edited by Jeff D
  • Like 1

Could it be something as non-technical as setting the in-game flight model to "Legacy" instead of "Modern"?

I replicated your flight as far as I could: KAXH to KHDC (Hammond), using Simbrief for the flight plan and payload etc.

All imported OK and I took off (Live Weather) at around 11am local with no problem. Trim was 1.3 UP and I used 1 notch flap. Throttle in the default/flight and Power Management to TO then CLB (after 500ft).

No problem at all ... lifted off at around 3/4 of the runway length.

Gust lock off? Condition levers to AUTO? All your PERF and WEIGHT values set correctly in the MCDU?

I can't think of anything else!

• Like 2

MCT is max continuous thrust and only for engine-out situations. Anyway this has nothing to do with not being able to takeoff, for takeoff thrust is TO and the throttle in the notch detent, always.
As the previous guy said, check the gust lock and check the MCDU settings (they determine the actual thrust set with the TO position). Also check if too heavy.
The ATR has no takeoff perf calculator on board, so it won‘t tell you when you‘re too heavy for the chosen runway / weather etc.

7 hours ago, Adamski_NZ said:

I replicated your flight as far as I could: KAXH to KHDC (Hammond), using Simbrief for the flight plan and payload etc.

All imported OK and I took off (Live Weather) at around 11am local with no problem. Trim was 1.3 UP and I used 1 notch flap. Throttle in the default/flight and Power Management to TO then CLB (after 500ft).

No problem at all ... lifted off at around 3/4 of the runway length.

Gust lock off? Condition levers to AUTO? All your PERF and WEIGHT values set correctly in the MCDU?

I can't think of anything else!

Thanks for your report. So I wonder what I might be doing wrong. Interesting that your trim was at 1.3 It's always 1.1 for me. This is set moving the pink indicator in the trim window to the centered position. I'll revisit how to load the aircraft properly and try it again. Thanks

2 hours ago, Jeff D said:

Thanks for your report. So I wonder what I might be doing wrong. Interesting that your trim was at 1.3 It's always 1.1 for me.

That would depend on the loading - based on whatever load set in Simbrief. I'm lazy - and use the "Set TO Trim" function from the pad.

Another thought ... are you confirming the T/O data in the PERF section on the MFD?