Sign in to follow this  
Rene_Feijen

VOR NDB based flightplanning incl SIDS and STARS - how?

I am learning the Fokker F28 in MSFS2020.

Is there a way to select routes and SIDS and STARS which are not GPS based but solely NDB and/or VOR based?

In Navigraph, or Little Navmap, or another source maybe?

Regards,

René

MS FS 2020 | I9-13900K@5.8 GHZ  | 64 GB DDR5 4800mhz |  ASUS TUF RTX 4090 O24G Gaming   | HP Reverb G2 | Navigraph | VATSIM | TPR Pedals | Virpil collective & stick | Honeycomb | 2023: Real life RPL MLA microlight trainee (Ikarus C42CS)

Some airfields have non-RNAV departures, but are usually just climbing to some altitude and fly a heading; expecting radar vectors to your first fix.

I've been flying the F28 a lot and it is difficult to find a navigatable route using Simbrief/Navigraph. Simbrief route finder has an option for VOR only routes and that helps.

I don't bother with SIDS/STARS and usually build a VOR to VOR route as best I can. This works in most areas, but keeps you very busy. 

Another problem, as you know, is many approaches have a IAF that is RNAV based. So, a lot of ad lib action is required.

• Like 1

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

1 hour ago, Rene_Feijen said:

I am learning the Fokker F28 in MSFS2020.

Is there a way to select routes and SIDS and STARS which are not GPS based but solely NDB and/or VOR based?

In Navigraph, or Little Navmap, or another source maybe?

Regards,

René

There is a VOR only option in Simbrief.  

Otherwise, you can use Skyvector to plot your route of flight via airways in the US:  SkyVector: Flight Planning / Aeronautical Charts.  Navigraph will allow you to do same thing.   In the US, look at  the back of the Jeppesen 10-9 chart for the IFR Obstacle Departure Procedure. If there is terrain or obstacles that prevent an omni-directional departure, then it will the procedure and perhaps a VOR or NDB from which to begin the en route portion of the flight. 

With these older, VOR only airplanes, you have to come up with route of flight yourself.  That's half the fun of flying these older aircraft. 

Rich Boll

• Like 1

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS

A number of UK airfields have non RNAV SIDS, Heathrow, Gatwick, Manchester (EGLL EGKK EGCC), and I'm sure others too.

I used to fly the DC-6 in MSFS using only VOR navigation. At that time, I liked to use the route finder feature with the VOR-only option in SimBrief, which I found to be quite useful.

Hello. Oh, cool. Very useful for me, especially the tip to use Skyvector to build my flight route for US airlines.