Sign in to follow this  
Bozdog

Quest 3 ? Any owners of Quest 2 upgraded ? Impressions ?

7 hours ago, ohsirus said:

Weird, as most people have said that it looks better than the Reverb G2

I've been following everyone's suggestions posted here and on the ED forum (thanks for sharing). I can't quite get the G2 centre sharpness, but as FlyIce mentioned, so far I can get about 90% - 95% across the whole fov while keeping similar same fps.  

25 minutes ago, dogmanbird said:

what did you think about its physical size and weight? It's huge to look at in the flesh though Ive never worn one.

Uncomfortable, pretty heavy. Heavier than the quest 3 for sure. In my opinion anyways. I’m sure for some they don’t mind, but I’m a small bloke. 

Guess it's a good idea to stick with G2 or Quest 3 for now. Next generation of VR headsets seem just not there yet. Maybe next year we'll see some good ones that are not only having good spec on paper, but also well polished software/hardware wise. 

Edited by FlyIce
  • Like 1

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

3 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Uncomfortable, pretty heavy. Heavier than the quest 3 for sure. In my opinion anyways. I’m sure for some they don’t mind, but I’m a small bloke. 

I'm a big bloke and couldn't handle it. 

• Like 1

Thanks Ian

I just mentioned this on the DCS forum if it's of any help.

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/327121-introducing-meta-quest-3/page/10/#comment-5306044

I'm wondering if the oculus app installer isn't installing the drivers correctly for some folk. After re installing It's my best results yet. It's reduced the amount of audio dropouts and contrast. I'm sold on the Q3 if it continues to perform like this, even with the little bit of screen door. Just can't quite get the absolute central razor sharpness the G2 has, but it's very close and FPS may be even better than what I have with G2

Edited by dogmanbird

4 hours ago, dogmanbird said:

Thanks Ian

I just mentioned this on the DCS forum if it's of any help.

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/327121-introducing-meta-quest-3/page/10/#comment-5306044

I'm wondering if the oculus app installer isn't installing the drivers correctly for some folk. After re installing It's my best results yet. It's reduced the amount of audio dropouts and contrast. I'm sold on the Q3 if it continues to perform like this, even with the little bit of screen door. Just can't quite get the absolute central razor sharpness the G2 has, but it's very close and FPS may be even better than what I have with G2

I don't have a G2 to compare, but have you tried adjusting the distortion curvature in the Oculus Debug tool? If you have a Nvidia Card you can set trilinear optimization to off for a little more sharpening. I use VD as I can't gt Oculus to look or perform well on link anymore. Probably need to wipe it and reload.

5 hours ago, dogmanbird said:

Just can't quite get the absolute central razor sharpness the G2 has,

Indeed, I don't think Q3 is ever capable of that kind of sharpness of G2. The mushed details and distant objects due to video compression are also made a bit worse by the slightly lower clarity in Q3. But as you said, Q3 wins as an all around good headset. Funny thing is that the longer I'm using Q3, the more I begin to notice and a bit bothered by the small sweetspot of G2 when I switch back. Tiny sweetspot but incredible sharpness vs incredible sweetspot but ok sharpness, pick your poison.. 

In my case, Q3's fps appears to be lower than G2 under similar settings. I'll see what Virtual Desktop can help, and will keep optimizing the oculus quicklink. 

VR Flightsim guy. He tried 6 Quest3 headsets. He had to because the first 5 all had dead pixels. That can't be fixed and is easy to tell if you do have them.

Did he have super bad luck? Maybe, because it doesn't seem a problem in this thread here on Avsim.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

He's affiliated with a number of headset makers, so bear that in mind.

Firstly, the Quest Pro still has the superior QLED screens with local dimming & DCI-P3 colour gamut (about 125%+ colour detail of the Q3),

Secondly, the very best way of checking for faulty pixels is using YouTube White Screen (even Red & Green Screen) reference videos - pure colours & very easy to find...

honestly - after back and forthing between the q pro and q3, seeing things run the way they are now, even if they were the same price, I'd be buying the q3. The colours and blacks aren't much different. Ive now got better sharpness on the q3 all over the lens, than the sharp area of q pro dynamic foveated area cranked right up and can run it beautifully smooth with asw.  I'd only pick the qpro if I absolutely had to have the controllers behind my back or occluded whilst lying down etc, (can buy them anyway) or character animation / robotics development etc.

Edited by dogmanbird

There's  always seemed to me to be a bit of OCD in the various Flight communities in regards to the search for perfection and intolerance of flaws....

If (hypothetically) you go into these things from the standpoint of somebody looking for/expecting 4K monitor quality, then you are going to pretty much be guaranteed to be disappointed every time. The headset will always be too clumsy/heavy, the sweet spot will be too small or the FOV will be inadequate.....

The colors will be off, or you won't (quite) be able to read the logo on a plane 30 miles away, irregardless on if you could do so in real life, either....

There will always be something, because just like with our sims themselves, nothing's perfect, including our own eyes and perceptions, which we nonetheless muddle along with because (just like these headsets) it's the best we have for now.

So....

My experience with the Quest 3?

No missing/faulty pixels, mura so subtle that if it's there, it might as well be invisible to me; no god-rays, screen door effect of the type you might get if you go nose-to-screen with your television....

Great colors, smooth framerates', much better default clarity (could easily see individual planes on the runway from several miles away) cockpit instrument readability that allowed me to read the panels without having to crane my neck, lean forwards or squint.....

Good nighttime visuals.....

All in all an almost surprisingly worthwhile upgrade from my Quest 2, with the solid Oculus software ecosystem/interface I have had little problem with for years, and a noticeably enhanced sense of 3D depth, though I'm not at all sure why.

Not by any means perfect, but unlike my jump from Rift-S to Rift 2, it feels, after a but of messing around, like a pretty solid step up (to me!) rather than the previous gens sidestep.

I like it!

Edited by HiFlyer
  • Like 3

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

By the way, I will add I can also envision spending quite a bit more time in the headset than on the quest 2, which was noticeably hotter/sweatier for an equal amount of use; which had me less willing to put up with it as the novelty faded a bit.

I also had never noticed till now how annoying and off-putting the obligatory hunt-for-the-sweet-spot was, until the need for said fiddling (and re-fiddling whenever you took off the headset for a second) became a non-issue.

The headset also feels less unwieldy on your face in general, despite being the same weight, and is very glasses friendly.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I setup my new wifi 6 router and Virtual Desktop now runs at a solid 200mbps. I also got VirtualDesktop-OpenXR running and the experience was exceedingly smooth transition to VR from VD. I promptly unstalled SteamVR.

Fps is good around 40 (down to 30 over NYC) with TAA=120 (around 3700x4100), very comparable to G2, latency around 70-80ms which doesn't bother me. However, I just can't get rid of the feeling that the VD has a lot compression artifacts regardless which codec (HEVC 10bit or AV1 10bit etc). The ground textures definitely look kind of smeared, very similar to overcompressed JPEG. I'll switch back to cabled connection to compare.

Also VD needs a setting for oversampling, so I can run DLSS instead of TAA. Running TAA=120 is a waste of my 4090 performance. I found DLSS only looks good when Q3 rendering resolution approaching 3700x4100 range. VD's highest Godlike resolution is only like 3072x3400.

Edited by FlyIce

that's basically my results too with VD.

I can run the oxrtoolkit override at about 4000 x 4000 ish with wired link and runs smooth with ASW set to 30Hz.  It would be great if VD could have a 1/3 frame rate reprojection extrapolation option

Edited by dogmanbird