Sign in to follow this  
cchiozza

TBM 850 AP UP ND Rocker

I cannot get the rocker to work or adjust the VS no matter what mode. Here is the manual text. Anyone figure this out?

This autopilot receives vertical speed and target altitude information from the KAS 297B Altitude Selector; however, the vertical speed rocker switch may also be used to adjust the vertical speed of the aircraft. This can help improve situational awareness by not requiring the pilot to display vertical speed on the KAS 297B, which can sometimes be confused with the target altitude.

Chris Chiozza

What I've seen is each click either up or down increments/decrements the VS by 100 FPM. I think you have to engage the VS mode using the altitude setting device first.

Not much help but this is my experience.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

Are you clicking it or using the mouse wheel?

Mouse wheel works for me.

• Like 1

David Porrett

You can just press the altitude selection knob to change VS.

But yeah maybe they decided to not use the rocker switch 

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Here is an example... If you are holding say 4000 ft in ALT mode, you set the altitude selector to 5000 ft.

Then you press the VS eng button.  Nothing happens until you either adjust the VS setting on the alerter or you press the UP button on the autopilot a few times.  These two options are interchangeable.. Adjust the VS speed on the altitude selector, or press the UP/DN rocker on the AP.. one click equals 100 ft/min.

The only difference is that the VS speed selector activates VS mode when the knob is turned, for the rocker to work, you need to activate VS mode first.

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 1

Bert

Ok got it. I have not tried the scroll wheel yet. If I push and hold left key dragging it does respond. I will try scroll wheel next flight. Thanks!

Chris Chiozza

If you watch steveo1kinevo's videos you'll see that the UP/DOWN rocker switch is literally never used, only the V/S dial on the altitude selector.

Intel i7-10700K @ 4.7 GHz | Nvidia RTX 3070 FE | 32GB DDR4 RAM 

Does the UP/DN rocker switch have any function with the ALT or IAS hold autopilot modes?

Thx,

Al

I have to use my mouse wheel while holding the pointer over the up / down button in cockpit. Before was trying clicking with mouse1 but to no effect. Scroll wheel works great.

i7 - 8700k, 4.3Ghz

Nvidia RTX 2070

Win 10

On 10/13/2023 at 8:24 AM, ark said:

Does the UP/DN rocker switch have any function with the ALT or IAS hold autopilot modes?

Thx,

Al

Here's what the Bendix King KFC 325 autopilot manual says about the UP/DN rocker switch:

spacer.png

If interested, the manual I found is at: https://www.bendixking.com/content/dam/bendixking/en/documents/downloads/006-08478-0000_0-kfc-275-325-krg-331-pilot-s-guide.pdf

Maybe someone with the TBM850 can say to what degree this has been simulated by Black Square.

Thx,

Al

Edited by ark
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ark said:

Here's what the Bendix King KFC 325 autopilot manual says about the UP/DN rocker switch:

spacer.png

Al

Good to RTFM!  

TBH, I came here to add my 2 cents. As I write this I am in a medium xcountry in the BS TBM. KHIOKLAS.  I began from cold and dark with an intent of validation of the rockers full range of options and requirements, and for simplicity sake I will say that for me, right now inflight, most if not all of those functions detailed above are available to me, as they were on the ground with engine off, avionics and AP powered on. 

Try it out for yourself. YMMV and TANSTAAFL.

-B

• Upvote 1