Sign in to follow this  
spilok

ORBX Global Buildings HD

Went into ORBX CENTRAL today and saw ORBX Global Buildings HD as a download.  I downloaded it and I love it.  Is this something new or what?  Never saw it before.  It makes all default buildings and structures look so much better.

Its been out for some time, yes a really good addon.

Ian S

38.jpg

1 hour ago, spilok said:

Never saw it before.

heh, memory fails us as we age 😉

• Upvote 1

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

A good setting for building autogen is the AUTOGEN_BATCH_LOD value, noting it is separate from the slider.

[SCENERY]

//Default is 2, setting to 1 will greatly increase the amount of autogen buildings, almost double in some instances, valid values are 1 to 9 with 1 the highest.

AUTOGEN_BATCH_LOD=1

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

• Like 2

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

23 minutes ago, Rogen said:

Can't say this has ever happened to me..:biggrin:

ANYway, does this coexist with ORBX TE by chance, which is where I'm spending a lot of time these days?

12 minutes ago, Rogen said:

A good setting for building autogen is the AUTOGEN_BATCH_LOD value, noting it is separate from the slider.

[SCENERY]

//Default is 2, setting to 1 will greatly increase the amount of autogen buildings, almost double in some instances, valid values are 1 to 9 with 1 the highest.

AUTOGEN_BATCH_LOD=1

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

Separate from the slider as a base entry? That is, say after selecting LOD1, will the slider operate from low to high based on that entry?

The roofs definately will, not so sure about the building sides.

It's one of those sim quirks where all building autogen will use the HD roofing, but the building shells will otherwise use what has been defined in the autogen files i.e. custom autogen for the area that may or maynot be of same quality.

I did raise the issue with Orbx on how to override, however it fell into their opps, too hard basket...

Any area that defines the P3D default autogen will use the HD building shells as well as the HD roofing.

6 minutes ago, newtie said:

Separate from the slider as a base entry? That is, say after selecting LOD1, will the slider operate from low to high based on that entry?

Yep 🙂

1 hour ago, Rogen said:

Yes.  Age is a b_ _ _ _ !  However, it was unchecked and uninstalled when I went to the ORBX Central icon today.  I honestly don't remember uninstalling it.  Wow!

4.92 gigs

Edited by spilok
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, spilok said:

Is this something new or what?

Consider that it is compatible with FSX even, so i assume it is not new.

Artur 

6 hours ago, Beardyman said:

Consider that it is compatible with FSX even, so i assume it is not new.

I know you're right.  I'm a little embarrassed here now.  I now remember using it, but I was a little taken back by the fact that it wasn't installed when I went to Orbx Central.  Somehow I uninstalled it and don't remember why.  I'll be better in the morning.

• Like 1

Orbx HD Autogen Buildings package is the best textures available for buildings in my opinion.

The only alternatives is one by RDPresets who made 4K building textures.  I have it and it is a nice upgrade from the default P3Dv5 textures but the Orbx textures look a little better overall in my opinion.  I just happened to check and RDPresets doesn't even offer it on their website store anymore which is where I bought it, that is strange...

There's one possible alternative that's free but they are old and I've never tried it and I don't know for sure if it works ok with P3Dv5 or not.  They where made by GEX team.  It does say in the description:

"Compatibility Microsoft Flight Simulator X (FSX) including Steam Edition & Prepar3D (P3D)"

Find the GEX textures here if you want to try them:

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/7309/fsx-team-gex-enhanced-autogen-world-scenery/

Edit: What I really wish is that someone would make better autogen building models, not just textures.  Or do what simHeaven did for X-Plane 11 & 12, that would be amazing.

Also the road textures and other details (parking lots, etc.) inside the cities and towns look terrible too.  It looks worse than FSX in my opinion.  I wish someone would have fix for that too.

Edited by Kalnon
  • Like 1

Does anyone have this running in v6?

I had it installed but removed it as I suspected it altered the airport buildings and their PBR properties