Sign in to follow this  

I currently have a Dell XPS 8930 Desktop for my MSFS.  It has a GForce GTX 1050 ti card  now, and it isn't working as the program shuts off after just a short (20-30 seconds) time.  So, I'm looking for a new graphics card that will fit in my Computer.  Something in the 200-350 dollar range is what I can afford.  I have no idea how to understand all the specifications on each card to know if I should buy.  Also I don't know how to find out if it will fit.  The Dell site is absolutely no help at all.

Also, I have 16gb RAM.  Would it help to upgrade to 32gb?

Any help someone can give would be much appreciated.

Gary

Are you sure that your gpu is at fault? As for memory, 16 MB is fine.

Overheating maybe?

Bert

Whilst a 1050Ti is an underpowered GPU by today's standards, it is certainly compatible with MSFS. If MSFS were struggling with it, you'd be likely to see low frame rates and stuttering, rather than a prgram just quitting.    So I agree with Bert - it sounds more likely that something else is causing the problem.

Does anything else occur, that leads you to think that it is the graphics card?

If you did decide to upgrade and would consider a used card, you would likely get something like a used RTX 2070 for within your budget.  That would be quite a big step up compared to a 1050.   If you insist on a new card, your budget might not get you into a significantly better territory than your current card. Graphics cards are overpriced these days, although the prices have come down a little more recently.

This is what Google has to say, for a budget of $300:-

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=what+graphics+card+will+I+get+for+%24300%3F

Bill

UK LAPL-A

Make sure the card fits in your pc case before buying!

Also that you have the required power connector...

Bert

4 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

As for memory, 16 MB is fine.

Make that 16 GB.. 🤫

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

Thanks guys.  What I'm really concerned about is the card fitting in my computer.  I called Dell, and they want to sell me one that's about 3X as much as anywhere else, and they won't tell me any other card that will fit.  Also, the Specs on these cards is really greek, or russian or something.  My monitior I just ordered is a curved LG 34" ultra-wide and Says the resolution is 3440X1440.  So the Graphix Card will have to work with it.

Also, as for the speed, and all the other information, that's where I'm lost.  Here's an example and what I don't understand:

Radeon HD 5450 Low Profile Graphics Card, 2GB GDDR3 64-bit, HDMI DVI-I VGA, PCI Express x16, DirectX 11, Video Card for PC, Computer GPU, 2 Monitors Support

Oh, the computer has a 850W power supply, so it's probably big enough, huh?

Is there any way to find out what is compatable with my computer?  I guess the rest of it I can probably get from the dealer.

Edited by wyodeacon

4 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

Make sure the card fits in your pc case before buying!

Also that you have the required power connector...

Can I find that out, or do I just have to open the computer and measure?  The power connector does not come with the unit?  Good to know

(Upon reading further about my computer, it sounds like it comes with a 4pin and an 8pin cable already installed.)

Edited by wyodeacon

5 hours ago, JYW said:

Whilst a 1050Ti is an underpowered GPU by today's standards, it is certainly compatible with MSFS. If MSFS were struggling with it, you'd be likely to see low frame rates and stuttering, rather than a prgram just quitting.    So I agree with Bert - it sounds more likely that something else is causing the problem.

Thank you.  I actually have just begun using this program and haven't gotten far enough to see any frame rates as yet.  But just loading an airtliner on the runway, and pushing FLY, it struggles and then just gives up and goes black.

I do have this installed on an external SSD, (4tb) and wonder if that could also be part of the problem?  If so, I can re-install it on my C:\ Drive which is a 2tb SSD and will handle it fine.

• Like 1

yep  that  would be  your  issues  being  installed  on a external  drive,   some  one   else  will  confirm  this  as well  since iam  using  a  1080ti  card  and  msfs  runs  fine

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

So, the question is:  Is there some way to move it to my C Drive, or do I have to uninstall and start over?

I got it from Microsoft Store, and can download again, but really don't want to.

you  can move  it  to another  drive   hopefully @Bert Pieke  will  chime  in here  ,   confused  now  i seen you  have  already posted  on  how  to move  msfs  to another  drive

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/638937-can-i-download-msfs-into-a-different-drive-4tb-ssd/

Edited by pete_auau

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

13 hours ago, wyodeacon said:

Thank you.  I actually have just begun using this program and haven't gotten far enough to see any frame rates as yet.  But just loading an airtliner on the runway, and pushing FLY, it struggles and then just gives up and goes black.

I do have this installed on an external SSD, (4tb) and wonder if that could also be part of the problem?  If so, I can re-install it on my C:\ Drive which is a 2tb SSD and will handle it fine.

I would definitely suspect that the crash is caused by MSFS running from an external drive.   It's great that you've now identified that as the likely cause.  I'd imagine that, as long as you're not looking for blistering performance and high graphics settings, your 1050Ti will be able to run MSFS = money saved!

I'm not sure how to go about moving your MSFS installation onto another (internal) drive.  It may well be possible and hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in.   Me, I'd be tempted to take it on the chin and do an uninstall then reinstall.  MSFS is very fussy on installations.  

Keep us posted, I really hope you can get it running once you've got it installed onto your C/: drive.

Edited by JYW

Bill

UK LAPL-A

11 hours ago, pete_auau said:

you  can move  it  to another  drive   hopefully @Bert Pieke  will  chime  in here  ,   confused  now  i seen you  have  already posted  on  how  to move  msfs  to another  drive

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/638937-can-i-download-msfs-into-a-different-drive-4tb-ssd/

That thread was never really completed.  I, at that time was trying to figure out how to install it to another drive, as it automatically installed to my C:\.  Then, upon re-installing, it suddenly asked where I wanted it installed and that's when I chose H:\.  It went fine, and it's installed there now.

So, I hope that helps your confusion.  Sorry about the mixup.

I guess I may just Do what JYW said:

1 hour ago, JYW said:

I'm not sure how to go about moving your MSFS installation onto another (internal) drive.  It may well be possible and hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in.   Me, I'd be tempted to take it on the chin and do an uninstall then reinstall.  MSFS is very fussy on installations.  

Keep us posted, I really hope you can get it running once you've got it installed onto your C/: drive.

Thanks everyone for your advice and suggestions.  As I have ordered a new curved monitor I will probably go ahead with a larger graphics card, but that's in the future now.

• Like 1

Ok, here's the latest, and why I need a new GPU.

I uninstalled MSFS from my H:\ Drive, and re-installed on my C\ Drive.  I then proceeded to load the updates (Premium-Deluxe) overnight.  When I got up this morning there was an error

message that the program had Graphics problems and would not continue. I re-loaded and it stopped part way telling me to update my GPU drivers because they were insufficient.  (I did a screen copy of the message, then told it to continue, but when I went to paste it, it wasn't there.  I don't know what I did wrong other than continuing before checking it.)  So, no screen copy to show you.  I checked my driver and it's the latest, so that's my story and I'm sticking to it. 🙂

That's why I need a GPU.