Sign in to follow this  
tonywob

Great Seasonal Support

On 12/3/2023 at 5:51 AM, tonywob said:

The snow layer and vegetation colours works really well with ortho imagery once they're configured correctly for seasons

Great pics Tony!  How does one configure them?  I still use Verticalsim's ZL16 orthos for select areas.  Do I have to do something to make them compatible with seasons?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

17 hours ago, Biology said:

Really nice screenshots! Sorry, it's a bit unrelated but what do you use for the scenery? Is it orthophoto or something like SFD Global? If it's ortho, I'm surprised by how color accurate the terrain looks - if you used some kind of color correction for the tiles I would be really appreciated if you post the settings for it.

For the overlay, it's a toolset I'm working on to convert GIS data to scenery. The tool is similar to my previous tool World2XP which is used in xWorld/xEurope, but much more powerful and uses many data sources together (Including generating trees from imagery, etc). I'm looking into releasing the scenery (probably for free), but I need to check the licenses on my datasources carefully and if in fact they are really opendata :-). 

As for the orthos. It's just a slighly modified of Ortho4XP (to use Geotiffs, and season, water fixes). The aerial imagery comes from Geotiffs I've downloaded and not from Bing (this is because I can legally use them and distribute them if I want), with just a simple photoshop action to darken them and slightly shift the hue colours to better match the look of X-Plane. N.B. I have several sources all for the same area (different years) and will switch them around so they all are all consistent. The mesh is 10m, also from the same datasource. 

2.thumb.jpeg.43b5ab31b10aa57360636008e927367b.jpeg1.thumb.jpeg.f78120d471274d9ada2f66128b4ae062.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, ryanbatc said:

Great pics Tony!  How does one configure them?  I still use Verticalsim's ZL16 orthos for select areas.  Do I have to do something to make them compatible with seasons?

If VerticalSim's orthos are from Ortho4XP, then this tool should work: https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/87701-o4xp_seasons_manager-mostly-correct-seasons-on-top-of-ortho4xp/

The tool, I believe, takes the existing season rasters from the default scenery and patches them over the orthos.

Wow that first shot is superb !

The second one could be very nice as well, but isn't it a bit dark ? I mean, not exactly dark, but it's like the sun light is lacking power or something... Can't put the correct words on it, but it makes me think about the lack of clarity when looking through the windows of older 3D models, back when the glass rendering/properties were not as nice as today... What do you think ?

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Daube said:

The second one could be very nice as well, but isn't it a bit dark ? I mean, not exactly dark, but it's like the sun light is lacking power or something... Can't put the correct words on it, but it makes me think about the lack of clarity when looking through the windows of older 3D models, back when the glass rendering/properties were not as nice as today... What do you think ?

Yes I know what you mean. The plane has tinted windows so it also darkens everything (as if the pilot has sunglasses on), but yes, the sunlight isn't strong enough in the sim in terms of illuminating the terrain, and when there is more cloud cover it is really dark. The other problem with orthos is that they don't react to light correctly, they are flat in terms of lighting, in reality the terrain, roofs would all be reflecting light differently and bouncing in different directions. I think we're still some way from having this in any sim.

Wow.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Completely different part of the world XP12 today, real weather ON, remainder what it does except the Thranda Beaver. Out of southern Borneo area, late afternoon, heavy scattered thunderstorm activity, shear and turbulence and non stop rain. Looked like I thought it did once - thats a wet tropical sky

vYCrgih.jpg

5ViCqOz.jpg

Zq71jmO.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

wow

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

17 minutes ago, coastaldriver said:

Completely different part of the world XP12 today, real weather ON

These look superb :wub:

Man if only that ground scenery was default, throw some FG in and I would have no need to fire the other one up! 

1 hour ago, coastaldriver said:

Completely different part of the world XP12 today, real weather ON, remainder what it does except the Thranda Beaver. Out of southern Borneo area, late afternoon, heavy scattered thunderstorm activity, shear and turbulence and non stop rain. Looked like I thought it did once - thats a wet tropical sky

vYCrgih.jpg

5ViCqOz.jpg

Zq71jmO.jpg

By far, the best overall package on the consumer market. I don’t even know where it can go from here. 

10 hours ago, tonywob said:

For the overlay, it's a toolset I'm working on to convert GIS data to scenery. The tool is similar to my previous tool World2XP which is used in xWorld/xEurope, but much more powerful and uses many data sources together (Including generating trees from imagery, etc).

Color me VERY curious!

(Also, if you need a lab rat, well...)

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Gusti Semjyari to Undung Padang Indosesia, Manky1 Dash 8 Real weather bit of cloud forecast but haze and reduced vis - guess thats what it looks like!

9fLIZqY.jpg

VOLaahq.jpg

YOQiFzK.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1