Sign in to follow this  
Jazz

MSFS Thinks One Controller Is Two Controllers

Nothing is ever easy, is it?

After a reinstallation of Windows and MSFS I get into the sim and am happy to find that it had saved my controller settings in the cloud and I wouldn't have to go through all that nonsense again.....But wait, why not give the guy a new and unique problem that will take much longer to solve than just assigning his inputs again. That'll ruin his day.

I now have two entries that are conflicting for the Velocity One Rudder Pedals in the sim. As though they are two separate controllers. One of these needs to go but because the sim thinks it's two controllers I can't remove one. As long as the pedals are plugged in I have two sets of pedals in the sim. Bonkers.

As it stands, across the top, I have: Keyboard/ Mouse/ Alpha Flight Controls/ Bravo Throttle Quadrant/ VelocityOne Pedals/ And Velocity One Pedals AGAIN

How does this happen? For goodness sake?

Anyone have any clue how to fix problem? I'd be most grateful. It's be 4 days of hell regarding Microsoft for me and I'm am just about at my wits end.

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

I think MSFS uses windows game controller setup. If windows sees two controllers MSFS sees them same way. It has happened to me recently. I fixed it by swapping USB port between two conflicting controllers (one that doesn't show up and another that duplicates) and it solved problem for me.

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

2 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

I think MSFS uses windows game controller setup. If windows sees two controllers MSFS sees them same way. It has happened to me recently. I fixed it by swapping USB port between two conflicting controllers (one that doesn't show up and another that duplicates) and it solved problem for me.

Thanks for the reply but when I look in Game Controllers there is only 1 entry for VelocityOne Rudder as there is only one for all the other controllers.

I assume that if windows was seeing 2 there would be 2?

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

I have the same duplicate entry as well. I think it's because of the mode switch on the base of the pedals/ But I calibrated them as usual and have had no side effects at all, so I just ignore the other entry.

Just now, monica6211 said:

I have the same duplicate entry as well. I think it's because of the mode switch on the base of the pedals/ But I calibrated them as usual and have had no side effects at all, so I just ignore the other entry.

It wasn't happening before the reinstall though and I'm not sure that is the cause because only one mode is active at any given time. If you activate the xbox mode they are not even detected.

Does anyone know where MSFS stores the controller profiles locally on the PC?

6 minutes ago, Jazz said:

It wasn't happening before the reinstall though and I'm not sure that is the cause because only one mode is active at any given time. If you activate the xbox mode they are not even detected.

Does anyoone know where MSFS stores the controller profiles locally on the PC?

Is your sim from Steam or Store?

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

31 minutes ago, Jazz said:

Thanks for the reply but when I look in Game Controllers there is only 1 entry for VelocityOne Rudder as there is only one for all the other controllers.

I assume that if windows was seeing 2 there would be 2?

Yes check "Setup USB Game Controllers" in windows control panel. Make sure there is no duplicates there. Sometime plug off and plug in USB controller makes windows to rediscover and correct assigment

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

31 minutes ago, Alvega said:

Is your sim from Steam or Store?

Store

14 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

Yes check "Setup USB Game Controllers" in windows control panel. Make sure there is no duplicates there. Sometime plug off and plug in USB controller makes windows to rediscover and correct assigment

Yeah, there is only one there. Unplugging and plugging in again into any usb port makes no difference.

3 minutes ago, Jazz said:

Store

Hmm, mine is Steam and they are stored in the folder in this screenshot. Opening the "inputprofile_" files you will see one of them is the "Velocity One Pedals" you want to delete. But I don't know where the folder is with the Store version or if the cloud save will put it there again after deleting, never had to delete one of mine.

spacer.png

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

1 hour ago, Alvega said:

But I don't know where the folder is with the Store version or if the cloud save will put it there again after deleting, never had to delete one of mine.

Yes, that's my concern as well. The cloud interference. I can't find it on the store version to give it a go.

8 minutes ago, Jazz said:

Yes, that's my concern as well. The cloud interference. I can't find it on the store version to give it a go.

Did you search in %localappdata%\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator

Alvega

8 minutes ago, Alvega said:

Did you search in %localappdata%\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator

I did

3 minutes ago, Jazz said:

I did

Did you also try to delete it inside the sim in the manage profiles option?

Alvega

1 minute ago, Alvega said:

Did you also try to delete it inside the sim in the manage profiles option?

You can't. You can't delete controllers. You can only delete the profiles you have assigned to them.

2 minutes ago, Jazz said:

You can't. You can't delete controllers. You can only delete the profiles you have assigned to them.

Hmm, I'm out of ideas then. Sorry.

Alvega