Sign in to follow this  
red259

What airports to pick up

I tend to fly a lot from JFK is the inibuilds worth it or is the hit on performance too much? Also looking at orbx CYUL. On the west coast I am looking at flytampa klas and potentially KSFO and KLAX. Maybe Vancouver. Out of these airports are any to be avoided? Are they well optimized? Primarily flying the fenix.  

What CPU? What GPU? What resolution monitor you using? Amount of RAM?

Do you like seeing lots of AI aircraft? Do you want to keep road and ship traffic? Use GSX? Have any nearby city scenery? What TLOD value do you use?

Give us some more info re: your PC setup.

CYUL isn't from Orbx. There are versions by MK-Studios and by AmSim/BMW.

CYVR will receive a version 2 from FSimStudios (possibly next year).

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

KJFK is worth it BUT the hit on performance is also huge. There are remedies (terrain LOD to 0 on approach, tune AI traffic down a lot etc.), so it comes down to personal preference. But you won't get 100% stutter-free experience with the Fenix there no matter what you do, I guess. KLAX is much better performance-wise, at least for me. FlyTampa KLAS is great in all aspects and it comes with a citypack included (which is great, too!). There's no 3rd party KSFO (yet), so not sure what you mean.

15 minutes ago, red259 said:

Running 1920 x 1080 resolution at moment. GTX 4070 card.  i7-13700KF   3.40 GHz 32 RAM

Even though KJFK has been relatively recently optimised, it's still one of the sceneries that's hardest on performance.

+1 for KLAS. Updated just last week, performance is great with a fantastic backdrop of the iconic buildings on the Vegas strip.

KLAX is heavier on FPS, but your PC should cope.

CYUL is fine, but nothing special, IMO. FlyTampa's KBOS and Flightbeam's KDEN or KMSP are far nicer.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

6 minutes ago, F737MAX said:

Even though KJFK has been relatively recently optimised, it's still one of the sceneries that's hardest on performance.

+1 for KLAS. Updated just last week, performance is great with a fantastic backdrop of the iconic buildings on the Vegas strip.

KLAX is heavier on FPS, but your PC should cope.

CYUL is fine, but nothing special, IMO. FlyTampa's KBOS and Flightbeam's KDEN or KMSP are far nicer.

thanks maybe I will just stick with the default jfk. and pickup klas, kbos and kden or kmsp. Will give me some flight path options I can mix or match. Sometimes I do kdfw to kden. 

INI builds scenery have absolutely no consideration or thought for optimization.

They are really, really heavy.   I lose over 20 FPS at Ini KJFK compared to the default!

Default:    45 FPS

Ini KJFK:  21 FPS

This is in the PMDG 737.   3080Ti card. For this reason, I personally wouldn't recommend any scenery from inibuild, until they starting putting at least some effort into performance and optimization.   I've been stung twice - no more.

Edited by JYW
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

FlyTampa KLAS will be your best optimized and also most unique airport of those. ini airports are horrendous. 

Edited by Snuffleupagus

/ CPU: Intel i7-9700K @4.9 / RAM: 32GB G.Skill 3200 / GPU: RTX 4080 16GB /

RW Freight Pilot

47 minutes ago, JYW said:

3080Ti card

Unless you're a VR or 4K monitor user (or have 8 GB VRAM or less),  GPU matters less than CPU in MSFS.

With TLOD at 180, DX11, Fenix A320, SamScene3D NYC on, PG off, about 45 AI aircraft, iniBuild's GSE and clutter settings on, the rest off, I was able to maintain 30 FPS locked when taxiing around. Take-off from 31L and landing 31R (towards NYC), usually held 30, but occasionally dropped as low as 25 FPS.

That was in SU13, however.

I have KJFK as well, how are  your frames by the TWA, terminal,? absolutely on my CPU it Stinks   Try to stay away from inibuilds.  My recommendations, flytamps/KBOS, FS dreamteam, KIAH KORD, Flightbeam, KDEN, KMSP,  CYUL, KSEA and finally KSLC

10700kf, 3080 nividia, 32gbs 3400mhz, 1,000 watts power, M.2 DVMe !tb, boot, 1tb 7200rpm, storage, windows 10 home

Boston is amazing

Montreal is well done, but the truth is that it really is not a great looking airport. (and I live here)

Victoria in BC is real nice if you rather something smaller then Vancouver

Fly into Las Vegas at night is pretty awesome with the city in the background

I also got KSAN and that is also nice although a little older scenery

Boston is my favorite of all of them

Ron

Ron

MSFS -Just flight Piper arrow 28-  A2A Comanche250 - COWS DA42 - Cessna 310 -Cessna 414
Black Square Baron - FSR500 - SimWorks PC12 - Black Square TBM 850
146Pro Plane - PMDG 737-600

My 7800X3D and 4090 is smirking in the corner 😂

Thomas Derbyshire

IniBuilds has horrible performance. They look great but not optimized anywhere close to what Flightbeam and FlyTampa are able to do. 

• Upvote 1

Eric 

15 hours ago, red259 said:

thanks maybe I will just stick with the default jfk. and pickup klas, kbos and kden or kmsp.

Just save yourself some time, and buy all 4 of those. They are 4 true 'must haves'. Besides, flying KBOS-KMSP, KMSP-KDEN, and then KDEN-KLAS can fill up an entire rainy day.

8 hours ago, Ron Lefebvre said:

Montreal is well done, but the truth is that it really is not a great looking airport. (and I live here)

That's exactly how I feel about Washington-Dulles. Mir did a fantastic job of KIAD for MSFS yet every time I fly in or out of it, I hate it. I'm forever tainted by the absolutely horrendous flying experience that it is in real life. The last time I was there, it was to pick up my (now ex) in-laws. They saved $50 a person by flying into KIAD instead of KBWI. My ex and I had to pay $12 in tolls, $20 in gas, and 3-1/2 hours making the round trip to the airport. TWICE. 😠

I love flying in and out of Mir's KMSP. I only landed there once in real life. My flight was delayed, it arrived well after midnight, of course it was also snowing, windy, and cold. We did a full length landing on 12L and our gate was G20. Had to taxi all the way around the terminal, stopping every couple of hundred feet to let another aircraft cross or something.

That flight was so long, it was beginning to feel like the pilot just taxied us from Baltimore to Minneapolis. I hated that KMSP real life experience, but Mir made up for it. 😊 

• Like 1

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

1 hour ago, MDFlier said:

They are 4 true 'must haves'. Besides, flying KBOS-KMSP, KMSP-KDEN, and then KDEN-KLAS can fill up an entire rainy day.

💯

19 hours ago, red259 said:

I tend to fly a lot from JFK

Honourable mention for Drzewiecki Design's KEWR (though I realise it might be sacrilegious to compliment something about New Jersey 🙃).

Christmas sales have started/will soon start, worth waiting until they have so you can pick-up a bunch of quality airport sceneries.