Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Runway Centreline Markings

Posted (edited)

I have mentioned this problem before, but I am starting to get annoyed at the number of payware addon airports that suffer from misalignment of runway centreline markings. This is a real bug bear of mine, and it drives me nuts when I see it. I have been enjoying quick flights at many of the addon airports that I purchased during the Christmas sales, and several of them suffer from this. I will not mention any names until the respective developers have had a chance to respond to the support requests that I have sent, but the last airport that I landed at was quite shocking in this respect. The centreline markings were all over the place, and one of them even looked like a flattened boomerang!! :blink:

This really should not be happening. Proper alignment of runway centreline markings and lighting is the first thing that I check when I beta test UK2000 airports. It really is that important to me. I do not understand how basic stuff like this can go undetected during beta testing. Do others simply not care about it? :huh:

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Like 2

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Is this something that does not bother most people? :huh:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

2 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

Yes.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

We’re just adding it to the list of all the other stuff bugging you!🙃

Seriously though; if you’re not going to give examples then it’s not that easy to comment on this.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

That's a fair comment.

I have noted issues at the following airports....

• IniBuilds LGHI Chios Omiros - I could see one marking further down the runway seriously offset to the right when I was sitting on the 01 threshold
  • IniBuilds EGHI Southampton
  • MK Studios EIDW Dublin v2 - the first marking at the 10L threshold (the new runway) is clearly offset from the rest, and the runway lighting moves from one side of the centreline markings to the other side down the full length of the runway
  • MK Studios EINN Shannon - this is easily the worst affected airport. The centreline markings are literally all over the place, and one of them has a distinct "kink" :huh: I was looking forward to (finally) being able to enjoy a decent version of this airport for the first time in my flight simulation career, so the mess on the runway surprised (and annoyed) me
  • UK2000 EGPK Prestwick - several successive centreline markings offset from the rest on runway 03/21

If any airport developers are reading this, can you please make sure that the runway markings and lighting are aligned properly in all future products? This is a basic fundamental that needs to be done properly.

• Like 2

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

44 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

I have noted issues at the following airports

Having looked at the two MK Studios airports,  I don't have the other three, you are quite correct.
However, it still does not bother me.

Posted (edited)

I have seen it occasionally, and I thought it was strange, but I just thought it was maybe true to life.  Now you mention it, it bugs me.  Another thing I won't be able to unsee!  :laugh:

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 2

Rob (but call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind).

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

1 hour ago, bobcat999 said:

I have seen it occasionally, and I thought it was strange, but I just thought it was maybe true to life.  Now you mention it, it bugs me.  Another thing I won't be able to unsee!  :laugh:

Sometimes ignorance is bliss. 😉

I'm now trying to resist the temptation to look for something I've never noticed! 😄

• Like 1

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

Posted (edited)

The issue at Prestwick seems rather minor now after noting the more serious problems elsewhere. I just hope that the other developers respond positively to my observations :smile:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

On 1/7/2024 at 5:54 AM, Christopher Low said:

and one of them even looked like a flattened boomerang!! :blink:

Did they look like chevrons by any chance?

Runway-Designators-1024x576.png

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

This was halfway down the runway, and definitely not a chevron.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I have tried to register on the MK Studios support forum, but I need to wait for an email link to confirm my registration. I assume that it is not an automatic system, because it has now been 45 minutes without an email (it has not been sent to my SPAM folder). I guess that I will have to wait until tomorrow to send a support ticket :dry:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Just a quick update to say that I have had some encouraging responses from developers to my emails regarding the misaligned runway centreline markings. Hopefully, we should see some fixes in the near future :cool:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

These things bother me too.  One thing I'll point out.  In real life the lights are usually actually not on the center line but just offset.  Reason, if a pilot puts nosewheel down exactly on the centerline they won't get the repetitive bumping.  

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

11 minutes ago, micstatic said:

These things bother me too.  One thing I'll point out.  In real life the lights are usually actually not on the center line but just offset.  Reason, if a pilot puts nosewheel down exactly on the centerline they won't get the repetitive bumping.  

I guess they are more likely offset due to the fact that you can just repaint the centerline markings from time to time without having to un- and reinstall or cover up the lights.
Makes it much quicker and cheaper I think..