Sign in to follow this  
lehbird

GSX - Is There a Need to Spend Time Configuring?

I have been thinking about purchasing GSX. I have had GSX on previous platforms loved it then and it certainly looks great in MSFS. However, I really enjoy flying too much to get bogged down with a lot of configuration. I see a lot of YouTube videos detailing (very well) how to configure the program to work correctly which gives me some concern.

So I guess my question is, will GSX work well "out of the box", or do I need to prepare myself for hours of configuration for various airports and aircraft? If they later, I may pass for now.

Thank you,

Dave

It will work very well out of the box. It will just work a lot better once it's configured for whatever airports and aircraft that you have. Luckily most have already been done and you just have to add those to GSX. The iniManager has a section where you can select what you want and it will download and add the files to where they need to go for you. 

• Like 1

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

I also do not like configuring, some is necessary, especially with third party airports, but was minimal. I am sure if I spent a lot of time I could make some of the gates operate quite well, but similar to the OP, I am just not interested in that. 

Dan Scott

1 hour ago, Cognita said:

I also do not like configuring, some is necessary, especially with third party airports, but was minimal. I am sure if I spent a lot of time I could make some of the gates operate quite well, but similar to the OP, I am just not interested in that. 

Just download a GSX profile from flightsim.to and there's nothing more you have to do, it will work fine with custom pushbacks and all that stuff. You really don't have to mess with doing gates yourself, I never did that, not even on P3D.

• Upvote 1

I do not like configuring either, but I find myself doing it all the time. GSX works surprisingly well in a wide variety of situations. I have to give it props for that. However, I prefer to see each gate set up in some sort of orderly fashion. GSX calculates where they'll fit. and puts them there. Sometimes, it's perfectly fine, other times it needs tweaking.

I've gotten into the habit of starting my flights 5 minutes earlier than I need to. I use GSX's reposition to the current gate right away, and then hit external view to see if everything looks okay. If not, I set that gate up and it'll be good from then on. I've gotten most of the gates at the airports I fly to a lot set up now.   

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

if  you fly  at  the  same  gate all  the  time  just need  to  configure  it  once,  doesn't  take  that long  to do once  you have  done  it  a  couple  of  times

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

8 hours ago, Dave_YVR said:

It will work very well out of the box. It will just work a lot better once it's configured for whatever airports and aircraft that you have. Luckily most have already been done and you just have to add those to GSX. The iniManager has a section where you can select what you want and it will download and add the files to where they need to go for you. 

+1 on this

the inimanager GSX installation is really slick

Wouldn't it be great if GSX would maintain all those airport files and download it for you on demand?  THAT would make it easy.

Gregg

• Upvote 1

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

The GSX profiles section of the INI Manager is indeed great, however there are airports that are missing from it. For example I went into it today to get Orbx EGNT Newcastle - not there.

Not knocking it though - it's the most convenient and slick way of getting your GSX profiles, it's just worth pointing out that not all airports are available through it. 

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)