Sign in to follow this  
wan2fly99

Machine just shutoff and rebooted

Coming back to the sim a week ago after a break, I had several occurrences of this. I pointed it out to the GAIST beta v2 shipping addon. So my first advice would be the SOP : emptying the community folder.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Ok was just going to vacumm  I find a blower

Also How do I lower the  overclocked

59 minutes ago, wan2fly99 said:

Also How do I lower the  overclocked

Firstly, don't do anything if you don't know what you are doing.  Get someone local to help you who is familiar with doing this.   Establish whether your PC is overclocked and then incrementally lower the frequency and see if this is the issue.  This helped for me, but this may not be your issue specifically.  My hardware was ageing and overheating from overclock was clearly the issue which displayed the same symptom you are experiencing.  It was just band-aiding a bigger issue, so ultimately replaced my system

Edited by ErichB

The most important thing is a user fan curve 🙂

The factory-setting fan curves are complete nonsense and sometimes simply not even functional (for example my previous ASUS Dual Radeon 5700 OC Super Advanced had a fan curve... that was never at 100% fan speed but somehow topped out at 50% fan speed with a straight line even above 100°Celsius.) Whenever the Radeon driver crashed in the background which led to a reset of all my driver settings this nonsense default fan-curve made the whole computer reboot with a greenscreen after a few minutes of gaming.

100% fan speed should be set at 75° Celsius, this is ideal for all cards and cools the hotspot and VRAM perfectly fine.

Overclocking takes a bit of time and testing, and some undervolting to prevent the card of extreme overheating. The voltage depends on the desktop resolution (and the resolution of your game) for example on 1920x1080 my current card which is a Radeon Pulse RX6700 OC runs fine on 930 Millivolts, on 2k desktop/game resolution my card only accepts 1075 Millivolts - and when going below this value it crashes whenever a game is started. No reboot, it only reboots when overheating.

I never had Nvidia cards so I don´t know if a wrong voltage causes a reboot too or if only overheating does, on Radeon cards it provokes a crash with all settings reset to default.

The RAM timing and voltage not correctly set normally makes the machine hung and stuck, but does not provoke a reboot, so it can only be a faulty overclocking setting of the CPU or the GPU.

Give it a try and test a little bit, check the temps while gaming with browser-tabbing and looking into your GeForce settings how the temps are. Change the resolutions and test it a bit. See if the fans function fine.

Edited by JetCat

Recently my PSU was slowly reaching the end of its lifespan. As others say about cleaning, it also seems like a good idea to occasionally clean the inside of the PSU, if it is out of warranty. I opened up my dead PSU and it looked like the inside of a vacuum cleaner, lol. A thick layer of dust covering the small electrical components.

You can use this little app to monitor and record the temperatures of you CPU cores.

https://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

At least then you'll know for sure if it's a temperature problem.

You can also set it to warn you of high temps or to shot the machine down to protect it.

ngxu_banner.png

Ok thanks about CoreTemp    I have ,the guy put it on my machine when I got it last year as I just remebered

I see it has 8 cores   I have to read how to set it to shut off then if temps are hight

All good suggestions. Also, take note of any USB devices you have plugged in. I've had 2 occasions in the past where a USB device was causing intermittent crashes like that. Check your event log to see if any clues were left there.

If you are going to use a blower to clean out the dust from your PC... it is always a good idea to use your fingers to stop the fans on the case and GPU from spinning... I normally stick small screwdrivers or similar on the case fans and then hold the GPU fans while blowing the dust... the spinning fans can cause static or put excessive load on the bearings... of cousre make sure the machine is disconnected from power... just my two pence...

Faisal Niazi

1 hour ago, wan2fly99 said:

ok will do didnt tink about power good  All good ideas

Did you get more similar shutdowns after the first one?

No  I tried again runninmg computer for a few hours nd nothing.  I will dust inside with hair blower on cold thought  Will see

15 hours ago, wan2fly99 said:

No  I tried again runninmg computer for a few hours nd nothing.  I will dust inside with hair blower on cold thought  Will see

The first rule is: IF IT WORKS DON'T TOUCH IT! Now it's clear your problem is not related to MSFS. 

On 1/9/2024 at 8:45 PM, Bob Scott said:

And don't forget to check the power cable, both at the wall and at the computer. 

Many years ago I had fits with a sudden flurry of uncommanded shutdowns, only to find I had a loose AC power connector after days of troubleshooting.

Sometimes, it's the simplest of things...

My PC shut down suddenly yesterday evening, and for a few seconds I feared that something bad had happened. However, I had been moving the case about a few days before when I opened it up to check a dust collector that was making an annoying clicking sound against the front case fan....and a quick check of the power cable revealed that it was half out of the connector! I pushed it back in, and everything is OK now :smile:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png