Sign in to follow this  
mryan75

Quest 3?

So I was wandering around a small local shop called Walmart earlier today and they had a Quest 3 from this upstart company card Facebook. As someone with zero experience with VR, what are my prospects with a 12700k/3080TI/36GB to get any enjoyment out of the thing? I will state for your reference that I am completely happy with my 2D performance. 

better check in the VR forum, that's where you will meet all the VR enthusiasts

https://www.avsim.com/forums/forum/877-virtual-reality-vr-for-microsoft-flight-simulator-2020/

Edited by turbomax

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

Quest 3 can be tuned well for your system & at an affordable cost,

your experience would be greatly enhanced with a quality WiFi 6 router

The Quest 3 is much better than the Quest 2. And (unlike the Reverb G2) it is not microsoft mixed reality based software based. This software is not going to be supported much longer. Thus making the Reverb a dead end.

It says here 30,000 people bought a Quest 3 last month:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=quest+3

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Your system will be fine for a Quest 3. My previous system was somewhat similar - slightly slower CPU and and a 3080, and it ran my Quest 3 quite acceptably.

However, if you have no experience with VR, be prepared for some learning. PCVR is not just plug and play, even with the fairly polished and user-friendly Quest software. It is helpful to know about the various configuration options and VR tools to avoid running an unoptimized setup. And MSFS in particular is not a beginner-friendly VR experience to configure and optimize.

• Upvote 1

I'm sort of eyeing a Quest 3 myself, using the G2 currently. I never liked the streaming set up though. I still prefer plugging a cable straight into the GPU and be done with it.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

9 hours ago, mryan75 said:

As someone with zero experience with VR, what are my prospects with a 12700k/3080TI/36GB to get any enjoyment out of the thing?

I had the Quest 2 last year for a few months. If you want to fly the Flight Simulator, your experience will a 3080 will be rather bad (low resolution, low settings, no sharp gauges, 10 FPS with small Asobo default planes......) I use a Radeon 6700 which comes close to the power of a 3080, and my VR experience was "everything else but Flight Simming, because forget the PMDG and the Fenix in VR, FPS go down to 1 FPS......"

But DCS will run fine. And Alien Isolation Mother mod and Half-Life Alyx, oh and Moss 2 is awesome - so you are not buying your new headset for nothing 😉

Edited by JetCat

26 minutes ago, JetCat said:

If you want to fly the Flight Simulator, your experience will a 3080 will be rather bad (low resolution, low settings, no sharp gauges, 10 FPS with small Asobo default planes......)

This was not my experience at all with my Quest 2/3 and my 3080. I was able to run at 1.2 pixel density, where the sharpness of cockpit instrument was quite acceptable, at medium to high settings, and at 36fps in most places, except for very large busy airports where I could drop down to 22-28 fps in the worst cases. For me this was overall acceptable performance at acceptable graphics quality. I never had a situation where I would be as low as 10 fps.

2 hours ago, JacquesBrel said:

MSFS in particular is not a beginner-friendly VR experience to configure and optimize.

all I did with my HP Reverb G2 was to install the mixed reality WMR tool from the Microsoft store, connect the headset to a USB 3 port and my 4090's display port. adjusted some VR settings in MSFS 2020 and that's it, as simple as that. has been for the last 3 years. ca. 60 fps on average.

• Upvote 1

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

very nice.

39 minutes ago, JetCat said:

I had the Quest 2 last year for a few months. If you want to fly the Flight Simulator, your experience will a 3080 will be rather bad (low resolution, low settings, no sharp gauges, 10 FPS with small Asobo default planes......) I use a Radeon 6700 which comes close to the power of a 3080, and my VR experience was "everything else but Flight Simming, because forget the PMDG and the Fenix in VR, FPS go down to 1 FPS......"

Something went wrong there in your setup. This isn't normal by any means.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

6 minutes ago, turbomax said:

connect the headset to a USB 3 port and my 4090

With a 4090 I imagine you don't need to configure and optimize as much compared to a 3080 in my case.

19 minutes ago, JacquesBrel said:

With a 4090 I imagine you don't need to configure and optimize

that's why I upgraded to a 4090 and AMD 7800x3D in the first place. no overclocking, no tweaking. just smooth flying. finally. that's why I don't agree with a general statement like "MSFS in particular is not a beginner-friendly VR experience to configure and optimize." I was a VR beginner and never had any trouble whatsoever. VR for my previous PC (RTX 3090 + i9900K) was just as easy to set, just half the fps.

Edited by turbomax

very nice.

I shall revise my statement to "MSFS in particular is not always a beginner-friendly VR experience to configure and optimize."

we should not drive potential VR beginners away, that's all I wanted to say.

very nice.