Sign in to follow this  
RobdeVries

Would a fresh install of everything clean up FSX?

My FSX-Acceleration is running okay right now. Still, there are the occasional CTDs and several 3rd party texture issues. I really like FSX and Accel. I just want it all to work smoothly. I'm thinking it would make sense to completely un-install FSX and Acceleration and start all over from scratch and re-install everything. Once the full FSX-Acceleration is up and running, then I'd start adding the payware and freeware addons a little at a time, thus finding out where the issues are.Good idea or am I just wasting time?My rig is a dual core x6800 2.93 ghz, 2gb of ram, GeForce 8800GTS 640mb card, 163.75 drivers and Windows xp totally updated.Lee

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

Depends how much it's worth it to you.If the CTD's (I am not getting any CTDs at all with SP2/Accel!) and other issues are really bothering you or preventing you from enjoyment, then sure thing, I'd reinstall right away.The suggestion of reinstalling the OS is also a good one, if you want to really "do it right".RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I agree. Unistalling and reinstalling both FSX and Acceleration would certainly help, but to do it right I'd also recommend reinstalling the OS. I did my quarterly OS reinstall last month and then reinstalled both FSX and Acceleration. I can honestly say that I have about zero problems now - even on this aging system. (I also have no add-ons installed except the LDS 763 and the RealAir SF.260, but who needs more than those two :-)) .DougP4 3.2E @ 3.680 (1.385 vCore - 230 FSB)Asus P4C800-E Deluxe (BIOS 1023)3GB Corsair XMS-3200C2 (2-3-3-6-2T)1.5 TB of Western Digital HDDATI X850XT PEA-Open 1648 AAP RipperPlextor PX-800A WriterEnermax 431W PSUInwin Case

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Very interesting about the OS re-install. I never really thought about that one. I will have to delve more into that. I'm assuming the OS disks I would do a repair install. Isn't that what you are talking about?The CTDs are primarily coming from accessing the menus in FSX, although they have been less frequent since I installed the newer Nvidia drivers. Some of my problems went away when I deleted my old start up mode files and created a brand new start up mode post FSX-Accel. I'm left with the occasional CTD and many 3rd party sceneries and planes out of whack. I'm hoping those issues will get fixed little by little by the developers themselves.Lee

Lee H

Here's an example of one of my texture dilemmas. This is the Texan/Harvard from Alphasim. Look at the aluminum under wing textures. It looks like I've enabled aircraft reflections. However, I haven't. This is only since Accel. Accel. has changed something in the way textures are rendered. It also does this to some of the original default FSX planes. It looks terrible, but I don't know how to fix it.The prop looks weird too, but I understand Alphasim is trying to fix that.Leehttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/180557.jpg

Lee H

No, not a repair Lee. Repairing an OS installation leaves most all of the "junk" still on the system. I'd format the drive and do a complete reinstall of the OS. After that, use an image maker like Acronis True Image to image the drive and you'll be able to do the whole job the next time in 10 minutes. True Image combined with a backup program like Genie Backup Manager will let you put on a fresh copy of the OS and reinstall your critical data in less than an hour.Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Guest tstewart

I just did this - uninstalled fsx and reloaded fresh and installed acceleration and it does run smoother. I didn't have problems but Acceleration just didn't run smooth. I didn't reload OS though.Ted:)

>Very interesting about the OS re-install. I never really>thought about that one. I will have to delve more into that.>I'm assuming the OS disks I would do a repair install. Isn't>that what you are talking about?>Not a repair install. I was talking about a complete format and reinstall of the OS. :) But I know that is a major undertaking. That's why I said, depends on what it is worth to you.I have never really had much success with Repair installs.The only way to really get everything out is a complete format and reinstall, unfortunately.>The CTDs are primarily coming from accessing the menus in FSX,>although they have been less frequent since I installed the>newer Nvidia drivers. Some of my problems went away when I>deleted my old start up mode files and created a brand new>start up mode post FSX-Accel. I'm left with the occasional CTD>and many 3rd party sceneries and planes out of whack. I'm>hoping those issues will get fixed little by little by the>developers themselves.>I really have a hunch (based on a lot of experience though...) that at least some of this type of CTD is caused by parts of old driver versions left in the registry.Registry cleaning programs aside, the only absolute 100% way to solve this is a complete wipe and reinstall of the OS. But, again, that's a big thing and may not be worth your while.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

>No, not a repair Lee. Repairing an OS installation leaves>most all of the "junk" still on the system. I'd format the>drive and do a complete reinstall of the OS. After that, use>an image maker like Acronis True Image to image the drive and>you'll be able to do the whole job the next time in 10>minutes. True Image combined with a backup program like Genie>Backup Manager will let you put on a fresh copy of the OS and>reinstall your critical data in less than an hour.>>Doug@LeeYes Doug gives wise advice here. After the format, if you have a program like Acronis TrueImage, as soon as you install your OS (plus all patches, updates, and services packs) I would make an image of that. For exactly the reasons Doug gives.Same with FSX. After you install FSX RTM (the original October 06 release) and activate it, with no add-ons installed, no SP1, just the base FSX, then do an image of that too.Then image FSX+SP1 (or FSX+SP1+SP2, whichever) and then if you have an issue or catastrophe, you can switch between FSX versions pretty easily. No re-activation needed, I wouldn't think...RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

Hi there,Newby question. What is the correct install of FSX and Acceleration?-install FSX-defrag and reboot-Install SP1-defrag and reboot-Install Acceleration-defrag and rebootOr can I skip SP1 when installing Acceleration? I've heard people say that Acceleration includes SP1.Thanks in advance, Rob "Holland&Holland" de Vries http://kewlceo.com/forums/style_emoticons/...crazy_pilot.gif"To go up, pull the stick back. To go down, pull the stick back harder"

RobdeVries.jpg

Indeed I found the answer: Acceleration both contains SP1 and SP2.I only added the action of making a restore point after installation of FSX in the sequence listed in the post above.Thanks,Rob "Holland&Holland" de Vries http://kewlceo.com/forums/style_emoticons/...crazy_pilot.gif"To go up, pull the stick back. To go down, pull the stick back harder"

RobdeVries.jpg