Sign in to follow this  
mSparks

Laminar is all systems go on in sim marketplace.

10 hours ago, strider1 said:

NDA?

nope, just 26 hours of Sunday and a full schedule now I'm back, last Thursday already feels like several months ago. None of the weekend was NDA'd, but there is a lot to digest. Scenery deserves it's own thread, the slide decks are up on the go ahead discord (sparky744/autoatc) dev talk channel if you/anyone wants to start one.

AutoATC Developer

7 hours ago, mSparks said:

Scenery deserves it's own thread, the slide decks are up on the go ahead discord (sparky744/autoatc) dev talk channel if you/anyone wants to start one.

The scenery based ones will get individual blog posts from Ben, as apparently the slides won't make much sense on their own. So hopefully we'll see these in the coming days/weeks

• Like 1

It's good to see progress!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

More information will probably come in the future but here are some takeaways for those interested, about graphics and scenery ONLY (there is lots of more information about avionics and stuff but the majority is developers oriented talk)

Note that none is NDA'ed in fact they specifically mentioned those details are NOT under NDA.

-WED2.6 & new scenery entities:

1) Probably the biggest one is a new entity called "terrain objects". WED 2.6 can convert and load very detailed meshes (DEM, LIDAR) that can "patch" with the default mesh + orthos (or anything else, for the matter of fact).

Note, at least from what I gather, this is not a replacement for any future modern mesh/scenery system, but having the ability to convert VERY high quality terrain models that can be patched to X-Plane's terrain is a really good step. 

Or to better describe it, this is like X-Plane's version of photogrammetry, but on a more targeted & efficient manner, not a new global scenery, yet.

2) Exclusion zones can be polygons, works on roads only for now.

3) Shapefiles for plugins.

4) Decal stage for OBJs + new normal map decals & PBR attributes that modulate on-top of current ones.

This is a BIG deal for artists workflows and will result in much better looking & optimized art assets all around, as they work on everything, this includes any OBJ (scenery, cockpits) but also any terrain textures.

-Lighting:

1) HDR & atmospheric model large improvements coming, for example clouds shadow light scattering, the pictures look incredible frankly.

2) Rain shafts coming as well.

3) Overall HDR & Sky values calibration, they want to hit real world values as close as possible for lighting.

4) Some SSR reflections & roughness (PBR) fixes.

5) Once they are done with the atmospheric & HDR model, they will work on Auto-Exposure2.0 & Tone-mapper2.0 & Exposure-fusion2.0. 

6) SSR (Screen Spcace Reflections) are NOT coming for cockpits. LR are aiming for better, they mentioned more cube maps And/Or Ray Tracing for cockpits in the future.

All of this should finally fix dark cockpits & dramatically improve the way X-Plane lighting looks.

-Particle Effects:

Lots of options are coming, including contact/collision effects, brownouts, sprays, wash, snow, thrust...

Edited by Inu
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

1) Probably the biggest one is a new entity called "terrain objects". WED 2.6 can convert and load very detailed meshes (DEM, LIDAR) that can "patch" with the default mesh + orthos (or anything else, for the matter of fact).

I don't believe this actually removes the terrain underneath it, so it's still possible that it'll conflict with the default terrain. It's good for creating islands and areas of high detail, but they'll need to make it work so that the autogen, trees, roads etc all use this as well. This approach has been used by Frank Dainese for his mountain sceneries, so it works pretty well for the most part.

2) Exclusion zones can be polygons, works on roads only for now.

From the screenshots, they're still rectangles, but WED splits up the polygon into rectangles for you to get a more accurate shape.

8 hours ago, Inu said:

8 hours ago, Inu said:

HDR & atmospheric model large improvements coming, for example clouds shadow light scattering, the pictures look incredible frankly.

2) Rain shafts coming as well.

3) Overall HDR & Sky values calibration, they want to hit real world values as close as possible for lighting.

4) Some SSR reflections & roughness (PBR) fixes.

5) Once they are done with the atmospheric & HDR model, they will work on Auto-Exposure2.0 & Tone-mapper2.0 & Exposure-fusion2.0. 

6) SSR (Screen Spcace Reflections) are NOT coming for cockpits. LR are aiming for better, they mentioned more cube maps And/Or Ray Tracing for cockpits in the future.

All of this should finally fix dark cockpits & dramatically improve the way X-Plane lighting looks.

-Particle Effects:

Lots of options are coming, including contact/collision effects, brownouts, sprays, wash, snow, thrust...

Thanks for these insights. This sounds very promising!

i912900k, RTX 3090, 32GB RAM

Looking forward to it.

Tired of the x-plane.org forum deleting my posts when I criticize them about how crappy the store layout is!

The old x-plane store is antiquated and time for competition!

1 hour ago, mSparks said:

I am glad this is posted. There is a whole different level of hysteria in x-plane dot org forum based on unfounded/fabricated info like mandatory subscription lol.  There is a big conflict of interest in that forum to begin with....  Is Janov banned in here? I haven't seen his post in here for a bit.

Edited by Sims Smith
  • Upvote 1

System Spec 1: Nvidia RTX 4090,  AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D, Res 5120x1440, HP Reverb G2
System Spec 2: AMD Radeon RX 7900XT, Intel I-9 9990K, Res 3840x1080, HP Reverb G2

3 hours ago, Sims Smith said:

Is Janov banned in here? I haven't seen his post in here for a bit.

I'm in contact with Janov, and I have spoken to him a few times.  

He's not banned.  He was warned and suspended because of a post he made where he stated an opinion about someone, and that warning was extended to me when I received a DM from the previous admin.

For the record, the person he had an opinion of was ultimately permanently banned.

Janov simply refuses to be part of a forum where he is silenced, warned and suspended for posting an opinion.  

It's a real shame, as he has very valuable insights in aviation (He was a captain on 737's and was type rated on the A319/320/321 a few years ago).  He also consults for several add on developers and is a tester for many add ons.

Janov is one of the most generous, courteous and respectful people you could ever hope to meet.  I met him for the first time at the Las Vegas expo, and from the moment I shook hands with him, he treated me like we knew each other for years.  

Edited by GoranM
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Sims Smith said:

There is a whole different level of hysteria in x-plane dot org forum based on unfounded/fabricated info like mandatory subscription lol. 

Well, I didn't see a flat out 'No subscription'.

Q. Is Laminar going to force me into a subscription now they have a store?

Product subscriptions are not in the launch spec for our store. We may allow individual creators to make content available on a subscription basis in the future, depending on demand.

By saying it is "Not in the launch spec" is leaving the door open. What about post launch spec??? Basically, LR is saying we are not doing it at launch, but we may do it post launch. I can see LR doing something where certain optional features e.g online multiplayer, satellite streaming requires a monthly/yearly subscription fee. There were a lot of anti-subscription sentiment here previously. If LR implements a subscription model at a later date, those same users will argue but but but... 'you don't have to subscribe'. So, technically they wouldn't be forcing you, I guess.

TBH, I completely understand the hysteria on the org.

Edited by brinx

Flight Sim PC - OS: Windows 11 Pro. CPU: i9-13900K.  RAM: 64GB. GPU: NVidia RTX 4090 OC
Flight Sim Xbox - Seriex X, 3TB

13 minutes ago, GoranM said:

silenced or warned for posting an opinion.

while Ive crossed the line many times pretty much everywhere, I actually find the moderation here comparatively well done. attack the message not the messenger, talk like you would in front of people who believe they have blue blood but otherwise its a free for all and a good place to put up more persistent thoughts.

I was reminded very recently of

very relevant now...

5 minutes ago, brinx said:

Well, I didn't see a flat out 'No subscription'.

Next gen scenery is in the pipeline that may well only be viable under a subscription due to its size, some developers would like to be able to offer a subscription. 

dont know how I feel about it right now. I dont expect them to make any silly decisions.

26 minutes ago, GoranM said:

He also consults for several add on developers and a tester for many add ons.

+1 He contributed to flaps aerodynamics and several displays in the 744. When he talks listen, when he gets grumpy dont take it personally. Among the most important members of the xplane community. He would get my vote for president of a 3rd party developers association...

• Upvote 1

AutoATC Developer

3 hours ago, brinx said:

satellite streaming requires a monthly/yearly subscription fee

That one I think they can justify considering the hardware and work involved, Ill never use it.  Multiplayer, anyone should b3e able to create a server and Laminar simply be the interface, that way they will have less work.

3 hours ago, GoranM said:

Janov is one of the most generous, courteous and respectful people you could ever hope to meet

He also has Laminars Ear, which makes him very useful, Quiet often lets us know little under the bonnet details, like the landing gear issue. Im sure he's on a tether on the other forum, he seems to have little time for those who wont listen.

4 hours ago, mSparks said:

I actually find the moderation here comparatively well done. attack the message not the messenger, talk like you would in front of people who believe they have blue blood but otherwise its a free for all and a good place to put up more persistent thoughts.

It's gotten a lot better. Since he's not coming here anymore, I can mention it.  He called another person here "feeble minded".  That was enough to get him a 2 day ban.  And like I mentioned, the person he called feeble minded was later perma-banned by @tonywob for an unrelated matter, but still for doing something stupid.  Bordering on disturbing.

1 hour ago, mjrhealth said:

he seems to have little time for those who wont listen.

When you read enough comments from people who won't listen, that patience starts to wear very thin.

• Like 1