Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

TrackIR Simply Refuses to Work!

I am at a complete loss with TrackIR, I have tried everything I know to get this SOAB (:biggrin:) to work, but without success! Reinstalled program, installed latest update, starting before (as always recommended) and after and during MSFS, checking TrackIR is on in MSFS, running as admin in addition to MSFS as admin, running without admin same as MSFS... but it simply stops working, often before I get into a flight. Nadda, nothing, lights go out and that's it. It used to work some time ago. Unsure when I started to get the problem, but it hasn't worked properly for the best part of six months I guess. Sometimes I'm lucky, but that's probably only about 20% of the time. Veyry odd and extremely frustrating. If anyone can offer some advice, it would be very much appreciated. 

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

I know it feels like a hack, but have you tried running the mouse emulation app with TIR and see if it works then ?

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

I do suppose you don't accidently have a button or key assigned to the Head Tracking On/Off button of MSFS itself...? Not talking about TrackIR's own Pause button but the setting in MSFS. They do different things. It's a long shot but well, you never know... I never had any problems with TrackIR in MSFS: it works all the time.

You say it stops working: do you mean you can see the lights on the TrackIR device but they go off before you even started a flight? What happens if you open the TrackIR program? Does anything move there (without MFSF running)? Does it work in any other program?

Did you unplug all cables (and plugged them back in again) and did you check the various USB connections?

Edited by tup61

20 minutes ago, flyhalf said:

I know it feels like a hack, but have you tried running the mouse emulation app with TIR and see if it works then ?

In addition to this: the file is called TIRmouse.exe and it can be found in the TrackIR folder. If TrackIR stops while it was working, start that exe (no need to restart the sim or anything) and see if it re-enables TIR.

Another tip: perhaps your USB is being put into sleep mode without you knowing it...? "Right click the Windows Start Button and go to Device Manager. Open Universal Serial Bus Controllers. Double click any devices that are labelled as USB Hubs and go to the Power Management tab for that device. Uncheck the box for Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power."

Edited by tup61
  • Like 1

I read somewhere to keep the Precision mode OFF for a while once you start MSFS. F7 is the default keyboard shortcut. I have similar problems with TrackIR and this has helped. I start TrackIR, make sure Precision mode is off, then start MSFS and only after a couple of minutes I will go into Precision mode. Still, sometimes TrackIR will just stop working. Sometimes lights will go out completely or only the right green light remains on.

Edited by Jure

3 minutes ago, Jure said:

I read somewhere to keep the Precision mode OFF for a while once you start MSFS. F7 is the default keyboard shortcut. I have similar problems with TrackIR and this has helped. I start TrackIR, make sure Precision mode is off, then start MSFS and only after a couple of minutes I will go into Precision mode. Still, some times TRackIR will just stop working. 

Hm, glad I never ever use Precision mode then...! 😉 I never ever have problems too so this might indeed be related. Curious to hear if Howard uses Precision mode!

I find the TrackIR problematic in that I often have to start it 4 or 5 times before it stays on.  A few others have reported the same issue.

You can try reinstalling the latest sofyware from its website, though it made no difference for me.

The odd thing is that when it starts and sticks it works fine.

I found the best thing was to run it at windows startup, then it always seems to stick.

It's a very odd bug and I'm surprised that Naturalpoint have not fixed it or come up with a solution that works.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

59 minutes ago, cianpars said:

I find the TrackIR problematic in that I often have to start it 4 or 5 times before it stays on.  A few others have reported the same issue.

You can try reinstalling the latest sofyware from its website, though it made no difference for me.

The odd thing is that when it starts and sticks it works fine.

I found the best thing was to run it at windows startup, then it always seems to stick.

It's a very odd bug and I'm surprised that Naturalpoint have not fixed it or come up with a solution that works.

After I start Track IR, it stays on 24/7. Been doing that for many years, no issues at all. 

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Mine also keeps logging off. Not sure why. Also never used to. Have not tried Precision mode  hack yet.

Most of the time, just unplugging and re plugging the USB gets it working again. still a hassle.

Make sure your USB keys are not set to sleep mode. Happens whenever there is a windows update for me.

Ron

• Upvote 1

Ron

MSFS -Just flight Piper arrow 28-  A2A Comanche250 - COWS DA42 - Cessna 310 -Cessna 414
Black Square Baron - FSR500 - SimWorks PC12 - Black Square TBM 850
146Pro Plane - PMDG 737-600

Maybe it also depends on what USB port you use: directly into the PC, what kind of USB (2 or 3), external hub, etc. Check if a change of port helps.

Edited by tup61

2 hours ago, tup61 said:

Hm, glad I never ever use Precision mode then...! 😉 I never ever have problems too so this might indeed be related. Curious to hear if Howard uses Precision mode!

I start TrackIR and immediately switch into precision mode for the rest of the flight. Been doing this for 12+ years without issue in FSX, P3D and MSFS.

To the OP ... did you try cleaning the camera and receptors?

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

I'm not able to get it to run without using a USB 2.0 port, and now that I've built a new computer (that doesn't have a 2.0 port) my TrackIR, which I've used for a very, very long time (20+ years) won't work at all.  I've been gone out of the community for 3 years, and I mentioned my TrackIR issues to a friend who advised I go VR.  The $700 for the Quest 3 with 512GB Ram hurt a bit, but OMG!  I'm not looking back, what an immersive ride it's become!

Anyway, you can always reach out via email to Navigraph for tech support. They do a great job.

Best wishes.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

14 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Anyway, you can always reach out via email to Navigraph for tech support. They do a great job.

Not really sure how Navigraph support will be able to help you with TrackIR problems... 😉

Edited by tup61

47 minutes ago, Twenty6 said:

I start TrackIR and immediately switch into precision mode for the rest of the flight. Been doing this for 12+ years without issue in FSX, P3D and MSFS.

I guess it's use depends on the TrackIR settings (curves, smoothness and so on).

17 minutes ago, tup61 said:

Not really sure how Navigraph support will be able to help you with TrackIR problems... 😉

Yeah sorry, meant Natural Point.  I was talking with Navigraph recently, and have them on the brain!

• Like 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.